• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 211
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 227
  • Total: 227
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Fan type whirring noise

Started by jinky, February 24, 2015, 07:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

Since getting back from holiday my PC keeps whirring with a fan type noise when in use. Every 10-15 seconds it whirrs for a second or so before switching off. I`d read of a Speedfan  utility that tests speeds / working of your PSC and took these two screenshots of what it told me

When the PC is normal I get these readings

During the whirring period I get these readings

The issue would appear to be with Fan 1 whatever that is which seems to be trying to cool the GPU which are both running hot it would appear - or are those symbols normal? Seems to suddenly run 4x faster.

Any suggestions what I should do? Best to wait for it to go and then replace or will it cause more damage? The noise does annoy me. Should I try to put a vaccum against the air vents to see if a dust helps. I am scared to open the PC case as I don`t know what I am doing and fear I`d cause more damage.

Mick

Readings look a bit hit and miss to me.  I'd take the cover off, and once it start to make the noise stop each one with your finger until you find the culprit.  :D

If it's the CPU fan then you should be able to replace it without problem.  If it's the fan on your Graphics card, then you might not be able to replace it, which basically means a new card.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Hinfrance

Have you tried cleaning the PC? Seriously, dust on the fans can cause overheating very easily - I had a load of dust on the cooling fan for my power supply (my machine has 4 fans like yours), cleaning it solved the overheating issues. Also make sure that none of the vents are even partially obstructed, maybe by a piece of paper falling down the side.

I know this is unrelated, but our fridge went berserk freezing everything because a cheese slice had fallen down behind the shelves and partially blocked the evaporator!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Graham

Quote from: Hinfrance on February 24, 2015, 08:04:21 AM
Have you tried cleaning the PC? Seriously, dust on the fans can cause overheating very easily - I had a load of dust on the cooling fan for my power supply (my machine has 4 fans like yours), cleaning it solved the overheating issues. Also make sure that none of the vents are even partially obstructed, maybe by a piece of paper falling down the side.

I know this is unrelated, but our fridge went berserk freezing everything because a cheese slice had fallen down behind the shelves and partially blocked the evaporator!

You live in France and eat "Cheese Slices"!  :o
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on February 24, 2015, 09:24:37 AM

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

jinky

Guess I'm going to have to grow some and take the cover off and spring clean - gulp!

Hinfrance

Quote from: Graham on February 24, 2015, 09:24:37 AM

No, we don't eat them, that's how the bloody thing got stuck in the back of the fridge. One of our ex-pat friends brought them over for a BBQ ages ago. We said 'thanks' and lost them . .

As an aside, the cheese here is one of the few things I don't like - luckily the supermarket is sufficiently cosmopolitan to sell some decent cheddar :) Albeit rather expensive . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: jinky on February 24, 2015, 10:33:15 AM
Guess I'm going to have to grow some and take the cover off and spring clean - gulp!
Use a half inch (new) paint brush to remove all the dust and crud from the fans and both the inlet and out let vents.
The best place to do this is actually outdoors with a bit of a breeze taking away the crud as you clean it
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

jinky

Typical. I unscrewed the only screw I could see on the side for the panel and cannot get the cover off. Settled for the Dyson up close to every vent which seemed to get the fan spinning as it sucked. Just switched back on and everything working  OK - no fan whirring just yet but it won`t do until it`s been on a while anyway. Speedfan still has the fire symbols and same high temperature readings as before but then I didn`t have speedfan prior to see what temperature it should have been running at. Just have to see what happens  :uglystupid2:

Within 10 minutes the intermittent whirring has started up again. Oh dear  :(

Hinfrance

Sometimes the side panels have a locking mechanism as well as fasteners. My main fans have slide out external grills to make getting the worst of the crud away. I would encourage you to persevere with the side panel :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on February 24, 2015, 11:23:30 AM
Typical. I unscrewed the only screw I could see on the side for the panel and cannot get the cover off. Settled for the Dyson up close to every vent which seemed to get the fan spinning as it sucked. Just switched back on and everything working  OK - no fan whirring just yet but it won`t do until it`s been on a while anyway. Speedfan still has the fire symbols and same high temperature readings as before but then I didn`t have speedfan prior to see what temperature it should have been running at. Just have to see what happens  :uglystupid2:

Within 10 minutes the intermittent whirring has started up again. Oh dear  :(

If you tell us the make and model of the PC we might be able to help. You should have more that one screw as they are normally at the back of the PC case. I assume you have a tower system.  ;)

Need a can of compressed air to blow over the fan but need to be outside.  :tup:

Mick

The bearing in the PC fans dry out and ware after time, and they will normally play up in colder weather, for example if the room was cold when you first turn it on, or after a few seconds. 
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

jinky

After another bot of vaccing and grappling with the side panel I gave in and called in a local lad  who seems to know his stuff. He opened it up - the same screw I used but then a slide and pull action (now I know!) and immediately saw that the main fan was running at an irregular speed. Blew it all out and the whirring fan start up has stopped for now but agreed to get a new fan which he is getting and putting in for the same call out. Shouldn`t cost me more than £30 all in for the 2 visits and fan. I know I`d get the fan for a coupe of quid on ebay but when you don`t know what you are doing.....

ABERS

Quote from: jinky on February 25, 2015, 02:23:02 PM
Shouldn`t cost me more than £30 all in for the 2 visits and fan.

Blimey, they come cheap where you live.! :o

Graham

Quote from: ABERS on February 25, 2015, 04:22:25 PM
Quote from: jinky on February 25, 2015, 02:23:02 PM
Shouldn`t cost me more than £30 all in for the 2 visits and fan.

Blimey, they come cheap where you live.! :o

Just one of the many benefits of living north of Watford!  :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.