• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 67
  • Total: 67
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Thoughts re Inspiring Image

Started by Alfonso_Frisk, October 23, 2016, 02:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfonso_Frisk

Re asked in the shout box
"Anyone any thoughts, on the new 'Inspiring Image' addition to the site?!

My response
"Im not sure it works at all for me. I dont see anything that inspires me as such, nor do I read why and how others are inspired by a particular shot"

Let me explain myself. I was not criticizing any shot or the format of the topic etc.
I fear the section will just turn into another "my fave" shot. or IOTW 2
IMHO it detracts from the IOTW and the already under used (by comments) galleries.
If a shot does inspire then the reasons why it inspires need to be explained and not just a comment of "I like it" or "nice colours"

Its well known I have never been a fan of the gallery formats on this site, but we are stuck with it due to software limitations.
The front page is far too messy now with addition of the Inspire Image.
Something has to go imho and I would suggest the random gallery images if the inspired image has to stay.

Sorry for the rambling on but just my thoughts
Feel free to discuss or shoot me down.

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Mick

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on October 23, 2016, 02:16:22 PM

The front page is far too messy now with addition of the Inspire Image.
Something has to go imho and I would suggest the random gallery images if the inspired image has to stay.

Sorry for the rambling on but just my thoughts
Feel free to discuss or shoot me down.

No shooting down required Alf. ;)  If I'm brutally honest I tend to agree with you regarding the front page.  It's always been a problem for me know exactly what people would like to see on there and in what kind of layout.  The Inspiring image idea might need some fine tuning but I'm sure we can make it work if we find a better way of laying all these things out on there. At the moment the Random gallery image, inspired image, and the latest images are all together in one big portal block.

Actually, when I get a spare hour or two,  I might just clone this site locally and have a play around with the front page layout. ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Reinardina

Please don't get rid of the random gallery!

I do agree though, that the front page is confusing/messy. Maybe it would look better, if the two large images are not divided by a gallery? Have the two galleries directly above each other?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Mick

Quote from: Reinardina on October 23, 2016, 05:33:33 PM
Please don't get rid of the random gallery!

I do agree though, that the front page is confusing/messy. Maybe it would look better, if the two large images are not divided by a gallery? Have the two galleries directly above each other?

Don't worry I won't. ;)  It's not to much trouble putting the gallery blocks back together like it used to be. but if we do that where do the IOTW and the Inspired image blocks go?  Keep IOTW at the top I guess. which will require the inspired image to go at the bottom.  If you have those two blocks together then the focus will be taken away from IOTW.

If you could all throw me some ideas about the front page layout, then I'll see if I can do it.  ;)

My Gallery

OpenSea

Alfonso_Frisk

Can the random and/or latest image display be on a rolling  reel like a banner ?
or reduce the numbers of images displayed to around 6 or 8 ?
or do away with shout box and place a vertical line of random images there ?
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on October 23, 2016, 06:39:33 PM
Can the random and/or latest image display be on a rolling  reel like a banner ?

Or side by side (half column widths)  with 'mouse over' overlaying expansion (to full width of centre block) right or left depending on selection.

ie. Left side expands to the right to reveal 12 Latest image thumb's &  visa versa Right hand would expand to left revealing 12 Random thumbnail images.

Another alternative, would be to combine an overlay timed slideshow; switching from IOTW to Inspiring Image, with a 'mouse over' to allow Pause/hold and access click of available Links on which ever Image as desired.

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Mick

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on October 23, 2016, 06:39:33 PM

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on October 23, 2016, 07:58:23 PM

Or side by side (half column widths)  with 'mouse over' overlaying expansion (to full width of centre block) right or left depending on selection.

ie. Left side expands to the right to reveal 12 Latest image thumb's &  visa versa Right hand would expand to left revealing 12 Random thumbnail images.

Another alternative, would be to combine an overlay timed slideshow; switching from IOTW to Inspiring Image, with a 'mouse over' to allow Pause/hold and access click of available Links on which ever Image as desired.

Noted. Thanks.  Will try and test this on local install.

My Gallery

OpenSea

Reinardina

Yes, something must change.

This morning, I immediately spotted the new IOTW, but only remembered the Inspiring Image, because Andy announced it.

Maybe we want the impossible? Maybe we could have a monthly Inspiring Image competition? With people nominating images (more than one per person allowed, to make it more interesting) for a month, and then a poll? The winner could then take the place of the IOTW for a week.

Just an idea.

Beaux Reflets

Setting up comps polls etc., does take time if there are lots of entries (and is usually done by the winner).

With my health, I cannot guarantee to provide sufficient time to organise and run a monthly comp that involves nominated images (bearing in mind the aspect of images from inactive members would be included) on a regular basis.

And moreover, generating more discussion upon images in the Forum (rather than just on the gallery pages) as I hope the Inspiring Image slot does, may induce more participation and hopefully an increase in New members joining CC. 
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

David Blandford

We need to be very careful that we do not create additional workload on everybody if CC starts to become a chore people will stop using it. Whilst I understand the wish to get people involved with discussions I feel the simplest way would be for someone to post a photo in a new topic and say why they find it inspiring. Other people can then comment if they wish. That way there are regular new topics and discussions without an additional burden.

:doh:
still trying to paint with light!!

Reinardina

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on October 24, 2016, 11:37:43 AM
Setting up comps polls etc., does take time if there are lots of entries (and is usually done by the winner).

With my health, I cannot guarantee to provide sufficient time to organise and run a monthly comp that involves nominated images (bearing in mind the aspect of images from inactive members would be included) on a regular basis.

And moreover, generating more discussion upon images in the Forum (rather than just on the gallery pages) as I hope the Inspiring Image slot does, may induce more participation and hopefully an increase in New members joining CC.

Would it be possible to find a form of voting that does not involve a poll? People just adding a comment with the title of their favourite image at the end of a set time? Anyone can then count how often a certain picture has been mentioned. Still just thinking.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.