• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 53
  • Total: 53
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Demise of Tottenham Court Road - alternative?

Started by loveclose, February 24, 2014, 09:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loveclose

Hi to all!

Had a great Saturday with my daughter, we got on a cheap 10 squid return to London for a multi purpose day which included a first photo shoot on the Thames.....lovely stuff!. 

During the day, I was to have shopped for a decent bargain on Tottenham Court Road......sadly I had to note the demise of at least half the camera shops I used to barter with.  I nearly always managed to get a substantial reduction off brand new equipment due to the massive next door competition.  Now it is no more.  I think I went into around three cam shops only, and none had the Nikon I was looking out for.  Very sad.....unless they have moved to another London area...?  If so, anyone know where??

I'm tentatively thinking of upgrading my D200 to a D7100.  Probably would have bought one had there been a decent bit of bartering available, but there you go.  Couldn't even get to Greys of Westminster as they appeared to be closed after 2 on Saturdays..!!

I found another site similar to HDew today.......eGlobal Digital Store.  Two year independent warranty, and clearly an import from HK, but the price......£549.99........somewhat different to sub£850!

Anyone heard of or used this store??  Just seems too good a price to be true.

http://www.eglobaldigitalstore.co.uk/nikon-d7100-body-only-digital-slr-cameras.html
The meek shall inherit the earth - if that's ok with everyone else.....

Jediboy

Never heard of them but they appear to be based in Hong Kong. May be a grey import.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Hinfrance

Don't forget you'll have to pay VAT and import duty on that.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

loveclose

It's definitely grey import, like HDew they buy in from HK direct.  UK Nikon warranty does not apply, hence the 3rd party two yr warranty.

I cannot see anything on the site that mentions anything about Vat etc.  I'm looking...!!!

Just looks too good, but tempting.......

I know that a few folk here have used HDew and recommend them.  This company are about another 100 squid cheaper, but without much customer feedback.

donoreo

I believe the VAT and Import taxes hit you on delivery, not when you buy it.   

Oldboy

Check this site out. It ships from the UK with UK Local Warranty.  :tup:

loveclose

Must be missing something - can't see the site......too much Pinotage maybe

hssutton

I used to deal with Digital Rev and found them to be very reliable, but those days they paid for any duties, but not any longer, that is down to the buyer.

loveclose

loveclose

Quote from: hssutton on February 24, 2014, 10:33:54 PM
I used to deal with Digital Rev and found them to be very reliable, but those days they paid for any duties, but not any longer, that is down to the buyer.

Thanks for info......what's the form with the duties?  Payable on delivery?

Jediboy

I bought something from India a couple of years ago. As I recall I received a letter and invoice making it clear that failure to pay was not an option. There was a deadline to pay by.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

hssutton

Quote from: loveclose on February 25, 2014, 08:41:20 AM
Quote from: hssutton on February 24, 2014, 10:33:54 PM

Thanks for info......what's the form with the duties?  Payable on delivery?

It's quite some time since I bought items from overseas, on one occasion I had to pay Fedex on delivery they had a card reader so just a case of paying by debit/credit card. Since then by cheque in the post. 

loveclose

Thanks for all the responses - most helpful.

I know that the Panasonic Shop that's been on Tottenham Court Road since I don't know when is moving on - their lease is not being renewed as the council is extending the shop.....

So lastly I wonder where all these shops that are nowhere to be seen on TCR have actually moved to....?

Are they all together elsewhere now?

Really missed the bartering thrill....!!

Unless of course these shops closed because of the direct competition, or they also couldn't afford the leases...??

donoreo

The shops have probably closed and not moved. 

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.