• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 26
  • Total: 27
  • Mick
  • Baidu
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Well that was interesting...

Started by Jonathan, March 28, 2011, 08:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

I've never been the easiest person to photograph.  In fact, surprisingly few pictures of me exist :)

But social media being what it is, I needed a new headshot for forums, Twitter, FB, magazines etc.  Last time didn't go well.  I invited not one but 2 professional photographers over for a kind of photography swapmeet.  They spent a couple of hours shooting me in the woods :) then sent me a disk of pics.  Nice stuff - but I looked way too moody in all of them (they had both gone for interesting pics rather than following the brief that, err, I didn't tell them).  So I got my wife to take a snap at the breakfast table.  That's worked for the last year or so - but most people who meet me comment that I'm younger than my picture.  (Out of interest, that makes my wife more published than lots of photographers I know - that shot's been in at least 4 magazines).

So last week I met up with a friend who is really rather a good photographer - I'd picked her because not only do I like her work, we get on very well.  4 hours trecking through London looking for perfect light and to my amazement, she got not one but a bunch of pictures of me that I actually like.  Here's one of my favourites...

I also learnt a lot by watching another professional at work and will be tweaking a couple of things I do based on what I saw ;)

So....if you need a decent headshot then find a photographer you like and get them to do it.  And if you want my recommendation then try Ros.
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

It's easier to take photos of someone else than of oneself.  ???

Thought you might have had a shave first, or are you looking for the rugged looks?  ;D

anglefire

Funnily enough, at a recent studio shoot I was at with a few others, I got one of them (Actually the studio owner!) to take a shot or two of me.

I quite liked them too. But then I don't give a monkeys if my picture is taken as I know I'm a handsome brut  :legit:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Graham

Quote from: anglefire on March 28, 2011, 07:37:41 PM
Funnily enough, at a recent studio shoot I was at with a few others, I got one of them (Actually the studio owner!) to take a shot or two of me.

I quite liked them too. But then I don't give a monkeys if my picture is taken as I know I'm a handsome brut  :legit:
So who's that in your avatar? :2funny:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

anglefire

Oh arh, the wife took that in Austria - Saltzburg if I recall correctly
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jonathan

Quote from: anglefire on March 28, 2011, 07:37:41 PM

Yeah other people seem to manage like that.  Took me 4 hours and a very talented photographer to get some I liked.... :(
It's Guest's round

Graham

I do quite like the Zen like tranquility of that pic (And I know that makes me sound like an ArtyFart.)
                   Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.