• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 137
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 137
  • Total: 137
  • Google
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

clubs

Started by Bigbill, August 25, 2009, 01:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbill

Hewwo from Windy Sheffy.

Now then,Camera Clubs,i used to be in one years ago,and to be honest it was not the best idea,one or two clever ones who wouldnt tell anyone anything,and lapped up winning everything.
However,ive now moved to the Steel City,and am wondering if clubs are or arent worth the subs/bother,??
Anyone care to air a view ??

Shine On

irv_b

Hi big fella
I have recently join a group called the london photographers meetup group (lpmg) and we go out on official/unofficial meetings to snap whatever the topic is. They are all a friendly bunch of varying expertise. I dunno if there is such a group in your area but here is the link to the london one

http://www.meetup.com/lpmg-org-uk/

A google seach should find something of similar ilk in your neck of the woods
Irv
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

skellum

I often go out to photograph subjects with Jim the train which works well for us as we swap ideas and learn from each others mistakes. I think this works better than camera clubs from my experience. I also can't see the point of arriving on mass somewhere to photograph a subject at probably the wrong time of day. As a joke we called ourselves " The Seven Stars Photographic Club " after one of our local Pubs. I am the Chairman ( because I'm older ) and Jim is Vice Chairman which is handy because he can keep the meeting going on his own untill I get there with my appoligies. :beer: :legit:

Bigbill

Fanks Irv and Dave,,,,,,not sure i,ll bother,i was VERY impressed though at the exhibition the local group did recently,they all were very crusty though,sort of politlely aloof,the sort of smiles you get from people who use gold credit cards in Tescos !
I like Daves idea,,,,,,my own private personal group,with just me in it,,,,,,yeahhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,then i,ll be sure of some recognition !!

Shine On

Sandy

Hi

I belong to a local camera club in Maidstone and enjoy the evening meetings. We have speakers some nights and competitions other nights. Not doing that well at competitions at the moment since some club members are very good, however I do think that Iam improving.

Sandy

JCoePhotography

I had been thinking about joining a local club - but got put off by the bloke who runs it when he said he had seen my website and liked "your little insect pics, have you got any local landscape shots? "
He didn't seem too impressed when I said I only do insect macro's and 1 of the reason's I was looking to join was to try and learn some other subjects to shoot. I wasn't made to feel as though I'd be very welcome so I didn't bother - they've missed out,  not me!!

Trickee

me thinks that this is a good club to belong to :tup: :)

Darren1978

I keep thinking that it would be a good idea to join a club, but I just have this preconceived idea that they are all a bit....'cliquey'  ;)

Colin

I have no experience of clubs in the UK. I belong to two here in Spain. They are both quite different. There is one that is an ex-pat club run more on the lines of how I understand a UK club to run. Monthly competitions with photos displayed as prints with PS / Camera tutorial sessions, friendly but quite formal. The other is a Spanish club where I am the only non Spaniard. This club concentrates more on having fun, the club meetings spend more time discussing where we are going to eat when we go out on a trip than anything else. The club evenings are informal with loads of food and drink all photos projected. The competition side is handled purely on the website.

Two totally different formats and both good in their own way. My advice would be to give a local club a try and see if it is for you, if not then try another.

Bigbill

Hewwo from Wet Sheffy,

Thats it,,decision taken,i,m joining Colins Spanish club !!!!

Shine On

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.