• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 42
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 27
  • Total: 27
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Sensor cleaning

Started by Jediboy, August 23, 2018, 10:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

I know this has been discussed in the past, but thought I'd ask again to see how people are cleaning their cameras sensors.

I'm worried about causing damage so have paid to have mine cleaned, however the last time I did so I was disappointed as it wasn't really very clean. So I'm now looking at other options as mine really does need a clean.

Thanks

Chris
May the Force be with you.

Chris

anglefire

Funny you should say this - I sent mine off to Canon for a service, clean and AF check - I'm a CPS member and they have changed how membership levels are calculated so I've gone back to being a Gold member - which means a 3day turnaround - which almost worked but I didn't get the payment to them today to get it out tonight, so won't be back until Tuesday.

Not the cheapest option, but figure its the 1st time its been done in 4 years and I don't know how many shots - a fair few though! (£117 inc vat, carriage both ways)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

I've got a cleaning kit from Just - had it years, rarely used. Sensor cleaning is really easy when it is required, but I haven't had to clean one for more than 2 years. The kits still seem to be available on Amazon for about £24.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Simple

I clean sensors regularly. Normally just a blow with a rocketblower (Giotto, big blower has filter in it). I have used the arctic butterfly but was not pleased with this at all.The brush becomes static and attract the dust from the sensor alright, but if you get too close to the bottom of the sensor it takes all the dust from the dust glue strip and smears it over the sensor making things worse. grease spots I remove with a swab. I hardly ever have to use that anymore, because my camera's are old and well used so the grease that would be a problem is all gone.
Rocket blower for me is the best! I have to use it quite often because I change lenses often.

SimonW

I set my Pentax to clean the sensor dust by vibrating it during switch off (rather than the default option - during switch on - which makes the camera longer to start up). And on the very few occasions I've noticed a dust spot a rocket blower has easily shifted it. So I've never required swabs etc but I would be quite apprehensive about using one.

I do change lenses often, but very seldom anywhere except indoors. When I must do it outside I'm very careful to find a dust free and wind free shelter.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

anglefire

I have done my previous cameras with swabs - but  I wanted it serviced anyway.

Rocket blower did nothing.

I change lenses all the time, so inevitably get dust and muck in - but suspect some is the oil off the mechanism.
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

I'm sure most of the dust on your camera comes from the camera it's self. Think gears grinding against each other.  :o

anglefire

And a flappy shutter at 12fps :)
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jediboy

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like I shouldn't be too worried about it and think I'll try first with my rocket blower. I do change lenses regularly and perhaps should be more careful when doing so.
Will try over the weekend and see how it goes.
Thanks again.

Chris

jinky

Late to the party but I`m another that does it myself with fluid and swabs. I firs try my rocket blower, then my arctic butterfly keeping well away from the edge and finally if not resolved give it a wet clean. the only time I paid to have it cleaned locally it wasn`t done properly and I had to leave it in the shop to have it done again FOC. As oldboy said no matter how carefully you change lenses it will happen. Some of it is internal dust / bits relocating, other bits drawn in. I often wonder how effective the rocket blower can be even done correctly with the camera upside down as we`re merely blowing it from place to place.

Jediboy

Well I used my rocket blower but sensor is still pretty dirty. Think I'll have to try swabs and see how that goes.
Strangely though, I can't see the dirty spots when I shoot video.

Chris

StephenBatey

Probably not stopped down far enough?

I'm another who uses a blower (only twice); the first time I noticed a dust spot was when using a slide duplicator with its own small aperture lens. If I need to check carefully, I have a 135mm lens that stops down to f/32.

Edit to add - late reply as I've been on holiday.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

anglefire

Mine came back fully serviced, cleaned all over, inside and out, and AF checked. Ready for next week at Le Mans and the USA in October.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Paul Montgomery

A bit late, but another vote for DIY.
I usually use a rocket blower or arctic butterfly, but a couple of weeks ago, it got to the stage where they weren't good enough.
10 mins with a swab (and very shaky hands - I was nervous) all done and I'd be quite happy to do it again now.

Jediboy

That's reassuring to hear. Think I'll have to give it a go. And if I get it badly wrong it means I get a new camera. So it's a win win really.

Chris

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.