• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 274
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 283
  • Total: 283
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Telephoto Advice Needed Canon 75-300

Started by LincolnGreen, August 09, 2012, 09:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LincolnGreen

I'd like to pose a question in relation to a lens I've just sold on ebay (link to page).

My buyer has received good service from me but on receipt of the lens, complained that the item is not as described. He later clarified:

Quotewhen I zoom the lens or set the aperture slowly while filming its not smooth. Its very shaky which makes the video quality very low. Obviously it was not described in the listing. However I am still satisfied with your fast delivery and good customer service. But I cannot work with this lens and I need to find something better.

I'm not feeling entirely sympathetic with him for three reasons:
1. Its a cheap lens and this model is reasonably well known as such
2. How was I to know he wanted it for filming - the lens is designed primarily for stills and zooming therefore doesn't need to be smooth.
3. Just because I don't mention something doesn't mean its not as described! The buyer has a responsibility to check before buying surely. I'm not a try before you buy service. I also didn't say it won't give crystal sharp images at 300mm. It won't, but that's a feature of the cheap lens, just like the focussing...

Before I go back to him and say sorry, but as the lens is functioning as described you don't have a case, I'd appreciate your thoughts. The clincher in my view is the phrase 'I cannot work with this lens and need to find something better'. Its not saying this lens doesn't work...

Thanks  in advance.
A recovering SLR phobic

Simple

Don't even say sorry! Another person who thinks they can get professional video results with unsuitable equipment. To make a video with your camera is a whole new ballgame and comes with its own pricetag. It is not as easy as people think.

Oldboy

He's trying it on. It isn't your job to know what he wants to use the lens for, and if you did it wouldn't make any difference. When buying equipment it's important to check that it will do what you want. He didn't do that therefore, it's his problem. You sold a cheapish second-hand lens which works fine for taking still pictures. End of story.  :tup:

Alfonso_Frisk

As said above, why say sorry??
in fact if you do, you then sound as if your admitting its not what he expected when he bought it.
As OB says, he is trying it on and reading his description it reads like he has no idea about photography or video capture.
Ignore him and his comments and if he persists report him to ebay or leave him some negatives as a buyer.
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

LincolnGreen

Many thanks all for your comments - much appreciated. I've written in reply, stating that the lens is fit for its intended purpose and at the very least, the buyer should have asked me for advice before buying (which he didn't) or gone for something that would suit his intended purpose.  >:(
A recovering SLR phobic

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.