• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 74
  • Total: 74
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

line art

Started by Sarasocke, August 31, 2009, 03:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

I asked this question over at DCM but it was a while ago and the post has since disappeared. Dim as I am, I nevery copied out the answer.

I'm making some new T-shirts for our animal rescue with the motto "no outfit is complete without dog hairs" and I'm looking for a picture of a mutt in lineart or a sketch to go with it.

While out with the camera on Sunday I managed to get a couple of pictures of a great dane (and very great he was too !). They're just head shots and they might fit in the shirt motive if they were in lineart or similar.

This would be the chappie in question

Can anyone help ?
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Jonathan

I'm not sure what you're asking......do you need a vector version of this shot?  Or a cutout from the b/g?  Or what?

Lovely pic but you might need to address that shadow before you use the outline.
It's Guest's round

Sarasocke

Lineart is like a sketch or cartoon.

Something like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikedougherty/3633078706/ would be perfect, but I can't get hold of the artist to get his permission.

As I can't draw, I thought I'd take a photo of a likely candidate and try to make something like a drawing out of it. I would take the head only, removing the background (and the shadow  ;) ).

I'm really terrible at explaining things ....  ??? Sorry.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Oldboy

You can do what you want with Photoshop and it's easier if you have a tablet like Wacom's Bamboo A6 graphic tablet which cost about £30.00. See this website for instructions: http://www.melissaclifton.com/tutorial-comicbook3.html

You could also do it with a mouse but it's a bit harder.  ;D

Sarasocke

Oldboy, that looks like just the job ! Thanks !
I'll have a go tomorrow, when I'm more awake.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Colin

How about these? I ran it through an artistic filter in CS3, and the second through a pencil filter with the background removed.

Jonathan

Try here http://www.psgalaxy.com/photoshop-actions/sketch-action.html

You may want to cut the dog out from the b/g first (though it may be easier after the action) and smoosh up the coat a little to remove some of the detail.
It's Guest's round

Colin

I have tweaked the pencil one a little more

Colin

And this one done with Jonathan's suggested action.

Sarasocke

Colin - thanks !  :tup: I think they may be a little too detailed for my purposes though.

Jonathan - I've tried to download the program, but all that happens is that CS3 is opened empty. I'm new to CS (had PSE up to now), and I'm probably being a little blond....  :doh:
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Hinfrance

I downloaded the action, but I can't work out where the file has to go to actually be useful - pretty standard level of Adobe intuitive interfacing there then . . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jonathan

Quote from: Tringle WP on September 01, 2009, 01:03:11 PM
I downloaded the action, but I can't work out where the file has to go to actually be useful - pretty standard level of Adobe intuitive interfacing there then . . .

Um, you need to double click it........ :)

[There are other more complicated ways of loading actions but I like simple].

Open a pic, scroll to the bottom of your actions palette (alt-F9 if it's not visible), open the folder called "4Sketch etc" (just click on the little triangle next to it - for nerd points it's called a "twistie"), then select the action called sketch and hit play.
It's Guest's round

Hinfrance

You're way ahead of me Jonathan. I know how to run it once it appears in the actions list, but I can't get it to appear in the actions list . . I've tried to put the file in presets/actions, but this doesn't work from there. Does it need to go somewhere in the local user settings to be accessible?

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jonathan

Quote from: Tringle WP on September 01, 2009, 02:20:14 PM
You're way ahead of me Jonathan. I know how to run it once it appears in the actions list, but I can't get it to appear in the actions list . . I've tried to put the file in presets/actions, but this doesn't work from there. Does it need to go somewhere in the local user settings to be accessible?

Um, you need to double click it........ Smiley

I know very little about PCs.  But double clicking a .atn should load it into the actions palette.  If it doesn't then hang on a bit and a PC chappie will be along.
It's Guest's round

Sarasocke

I've got it in the actions list, just not sure what "hit play" means. It's always a bit more complicated with me, as everything's in German.

Used Oldboy's link, and managed this

Even that confused me a bit, some things are taken for granted, also she used PS 7 and I have CS3.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.