• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 225
  • Total: 225
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What have you learned this past year?

Started by ABERS, December 23, 2009, 12:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

It's the fag end of the year when we are all prone to looking both forward and backwards on what is to come and what's been and gone; and when we all make, or intend to make resolutions for next year. Those resolutions are usually made in good faith and, as in my case, fall by the wayside fairly quickly.

I'd take a shade of odds that most of them are to do with 'becoming a better photographer' and learning how to improve your technique and start looking into a different genre to widen your portfolio.

However can you say that if you made the same type of resolution back in '08, have you kept it?

For me I resolved to have a better understanding of all the gubbins that come along with cameras and photographic computer programmes, to use them more and by so doing improve. Miserable failure on both counts, what I learned however is that's it's what you do with what you know and by experimenting further within your own bounds you can get more satisfaction than trying to get to grips with all the technobabble that swirls around all the forums that I visit.

What have you learned from your photographic endeavours in '08 that have made you a better photographer?

picsfor

What i have learned:

My ability to see, take and process a picture has improved over this time last year.
I still have a long way to go before i 'consistently' take pictures at a level that i'm happy with!
There are many more genres that i enjoy photographing.
The Canon 5D MkII is the Digital Camera i have been waiting for! It is the digital equivalent to the A1...
Adobe Lightroom is a much more powerful program than i had originally thought and i have taken the time to learn how to use it to a greater level of competency - rewarding me with a far more efficient workflow.
My iMac is the best solution for me to use for working with my pictures.

What i want to achieve next year (2010)

I'm looking at undertaking the 365 photo project. How long i will last is any ones guess.
I would like to learn the art of printing and mounting my pictures. Having seen 'Aber's' pictures exhibited (not just on the screen) i'm certain that seeing them mounted properly 'adds' to the picture.
Finish scanning in and processing in my old railway pictures an turning them all into a book.
Complete my OCA course successfully.
Continue to improve my understanding of what 'makes' a good picture and increasing the 'consistency' with which i successfully capture that picture.
Enjoy some more days out with other photographers.

hevans

Big lesson for the year: Not to put an egg in the microwave (without covering it first).  :D

Photographically, I probably learned the most from a studio course and how to set up the lighting in the course.

H.

spinner

That photoshop has many tricks up it's sleeve and I'm amazed everytime I pick up a new one. I'm pretty sure learning the rest will keep me busy for next year, if not the next dozen. 8)
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

deetus

What I have learned this year is that there is so much to learn and that I have learned so little of it. :-[

I've had the Pentax for about 18 months now and I'm still trying to get to grips with it. There is so much to learn on the processing side but I must admit I'm having great fun trying new things.

So my mantra for the new year is 'keep on learning', 'keep on learning', 'keep on learning', oh and take more photographs - hopefully good ones. ::)

Nemesis

At the risk of being contentious...  That I no longer need a DSLR   ::)

picsfor

Quote from: Nemesis on December 24, 2009, 06:34:31 PM
At the risk of being contentious...  That I no longer need a DSLR   ::)

I see nothing contentious about that.
A DSLR is not for every ones needs.

As long as you enjoy your photography and your camera does what you need it to - what does it matter whether it is a compact, Bridge or DSLR?

hssutton

Well I've got to the age where I no longer learn anything and have started to forget most things.

Harry

irv_b

The things I've learnt is a bit of advice that has stuck in my head.I heard on it here (I think )
Always be ready for but don't rush the shot! Do it for your own pleasure not to please others!
I shall endeavour to apply it more vigorously in 2010

My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Malcolm1938

Quote from: hssutton on December 24, 2009, 08:58:37 PM
Well I've got to the age where I no longer learn anything and have started to forget most things.

I have always believed that you are never too old to learn but we have reached an era when keeping up is almost as important as learning - so much is new - so much to look forward to and when you really fancy a new item a whole new learning curve to go with it. The things we forget are the things we no longer use - we will always learn about the things we are really interested in.
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Simple

Quote from: hssutton on December 24, 2009, 08:58:37 PM

Harry
As far as photography is concerned, I will be happy to know what Harry thinks he has forgotten! ::)

CML-1591

According to my lectures you can't really define a portraits or landscapes... 'what is a portrait/landscape?'

and that Uni is not what UCAS said it was
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Hybridphotog

Quote from: picsfor on December 24, 2009, 07:35:11 PM
I see nothing contentious about that.
A DSLR is not for every ones needs.
Whoa...! Don't let those at DCM/PR hear you uttering such heresy!  ;)
Quote from: picsfor on December 24, 2009, 07:35:11 PM
As long as you enjoy your photography and your camera does what you need it to - what does it matter whether it is a compact, Bridge or DSLR?
Not to mention, digital or film. And then, it'll be "Leica or Holga"... then "Develop at home, or 1hr d&p lab"... "Rodinal or ID11"... etc...

Ah, photography... so much choice, for such a little hobby. :D

picsfor

Quote from: Hybridphotog on December 28, 2009, 09:34:45 PM
Ah, photography... so much choice, for such a little hobby. :D

Exactly - and that's why this site is so good :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.