• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 83
  • Total: 83
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

connecting a camera to lap top

Started by Geoff, December 23, 2013, 12:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Hi not sure if it possible, can you connect a camera straight to a lap top so when you take a picture
it shows straight onto lap top screen and or the camera's own screen.
I am wanting to set up a little studio so if this is possible it would really help with what I would like to do.
I have seen little screens that can fit directly to the hot shoe on top of camera and was wondering if it would
work with a lap top plugged in via hdmi cable or usb.

Geoff    :hmm:

Hinfrance

It certainly is possible, something I do from time to time. Lightroom supports a lot of cameras with this (called "tethering"). My Pentax is not supported by Lightroom, but there is a stand alone application called PK Tether that does the job. Tethering is done with a USB cable.

According to Adobe both of your cameras are supported in Lightroom 4.1 upwards.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hssutton

I believe the 1100D has 'Live View', so if you use Canons own supplied EOS Capture software you will be able to use your laptop to compose/focus and fire the shutter with the result almost instantaneously being displayed on your laptop screen. IMO far better than using Lightroom tethered. If you use raw you can then always transfer the photo/s to your raw convertor.

Full Instructions on how to use http://photography.tutsplus.com/articles/simple-tethering-for-canon-and-others--photo-9669

Harry

Hinfrance

That's interesting - just read the article (quickly), and hadn't realised LR tethering was so limited. Like the Pentax PK Tether the Canon utility lets you control the camera completely - a far better thing to have.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Geoff

Thanks Guys for helping me on this, I thought it would possible however I was not
totally certain,  I did read an article a while ago on this however it was all full format
camera's being used.
I now know what I am going to be playing with for the next few days cheers.

Geoff  :s:D:  MERRY CHRISTMAS   :stup:

Geoff

Good morning,  With in minutes of reading the post's above I had the 1100d working great, however
looking at the software that came with the 350d there is not the software to work on this one
I have looked at the pk software and can not get that one to work am I doing something wrong I
have the new light room software  however I have not tried this one yet, It could just be me doing
something wrong, I will keep playing.

Thanks again   :fworks3: :stup:

Hinfrance

The PK software won't work - it's for Pentax cameras only. Is there nothing on the Canon site for the 350D?

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Geoff

Hi have not been on the canon web site as yet I just googled it and it came up with
the pk site were it does say there that there are downloads now for canon check out
this link   New version 0.4.5 | PK_Tether
www.pktether.com/new-version-0-4-5?
27 Feb 2011 - Release version 0.4.5 PK_Tether – changes: - added drive .... at PK_Tether.dslr_c. ..... K7 was my last model...and now with canon RULES ...

Geoff

WillyP

Coincidentally, I have read recently about some software that does just this. I can't remember the name of it, I guess because it wasn't what I was looking for at the time. Let me take a look in my browser history... ah, here it is: Photo Booth Software for DSLR Cameras - dslrBooth | Photo Booth Software for your canon/nikon dslr camera & pc/mac laptop. FREE Trial. Most straightforward and loved photo booth software out there.

Can't say much about it because I've never used it, but maybe it would work for you.4

Geoff

Thanks I will take a look at the link you have posted, I have started using the canon software that
came with the 1100d camera (now I no about it)  shame I can not use the 350d with it but ha ho the
350d is just my spare now anyway I don't really use it enough.

Mick

Quote from: Geoff MW6GCN on December 24, 2013, 11:35:46 AM
Good morning,  With in minutes of reading the post's above I had the 1100d working great, however
looking at the software that came with the 350d there is not the software to work on this one
I have looked at the pk software and can not get that one to work am I doing something wrong I
have the new light room software  however I have not tried this one yet, It could just be me doing
something wrong, I will keep playing.

Thanks again   :fworks3: :stup:

Does it not work with the latest version of EOS Utility?  Make sure you have the camera's communication's function set to PC CONNECTION. Plug it in, turn it on and see if the software picks it up.  I'm pretty sure the 350D used to work with EOS Utility, but don't hold me to it.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Geoff

Hi Mick hope you have had a good Christmas, Yes have tried it with the Eos utility disc from my 1100d
and there was no joy there (yes I did change camera to pc) as I said it is no biggy I would of liked it
to work.

Geoff   

Tripod

Ultimate is Camranger for use with iPhone iPad etc.

Camranger.com is your link

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.