• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 98
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 71
  • Total: 71
bhphotovideo
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

My First Outdoor Night Shoot

Started by Just Dave, January 27, 2011, 07:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

I just wish I lived closer so I could shoot her. ;)
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

Jonathan

Quote from: nickt on January 29, 2011, 08:40:30 AM
Jonathan, how did you get the blue toning in your shot. Was it done in post production?

Done in camera and exaggerated in post.  CTO on the flash, tungsten white balance on the camera.  Old school.

Quote from: Skhilled on January 29, 2011, 09:34:57 PM
I just wish I lived closer so I could shoot her. ;)

Um, there are willing models pretty much all over.  Most big towns have an agency.

Quote from: Just Dave on January 30, 2011, 11:14:23 AM
Last 3 of  Hayley, how are these

First one of those is by far my least favourite.  You've used twin lights to give the effect of (1) pretty flat lighting and (2) making her face look fat (which it isn't).  Google up broad lighting ;)  Pose is also v awkward - she's pushing herself back into the rock and this is making her chin come down so the flap of skin that lets you talk looks like a double chin.

Last one looks a bit underlit and dark  Not sure this makes for a great B&W.

BTW, you know I said I'd got a 105DC?  First portrait (with DC turned OFF - I need to practise with that).  http://peoplebyryan.com/photoblog/will-power
It's Guest's round

picsfor

I'm fractionally more experienced at this than you Dave - and probably a year ago i would have been pleased with these.

I agree with Jonathan re the pose and it making her looking more over weight than she is. But experience is something that will fix that, that  and honest critique.
Lighting, i'm getting the hang of it with each passing shoot, but be warned - it is infectious and will add more to your wish list (though not all that expensive for a lot of it)

Have look on here for your local Flickr strobist group, i think there is a north west group, join them and join in some of their shoots.
Couldn't recommend a better place to learn...

Just Dave

Many thanks Jonathan,  :tup:

a question will my sigma 105 macro, be all right for portrait shots

Thanks Andrew hope to improve with more experience, thanks for the heads up I'll have a look for strobist sites and groups  :tup:

oh yes my studio shoot has been cancelled shame I was well looking forward to it :(
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

picsfor

Dave,

a 100mm (approx)  macro lens is definitely a good lens to shoot portraits with - so much control over DoF.

Especially if you can't afford that nice lens Jonathan has just come by!

Used my 100mm macro many a time for portraits - great for blowing out the back ground. Almost as good as 50mm f1.8...

Jonathan

I've not used the Sigma but 105 macros tend to make nice portrait lenses.  It's a decent length.  It might be a bit unforgiving to skin texture but nothing you can't fix with noce light and maybe some retouch.
It's Guest's round

Just Dave

Thanks Andrew Ill give the 105 a go with portraits

Thanks Jonathan
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.