• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 21
  • Total: 21
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

QOTD 24th October - photographic achievements

Started by spikeyjen, October 24, 2013, 04:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikeyjen

What 'achievements' in photography are you most proud of?

Club merits? Club awards? Local shows or competitions? an event you were asked to photograph?  a photo in the local papers?
Perhaps it's just that you got out of bed in time for an amazing sunrise?

Reinardina

Having three photographs in an exhibition at a well known local gallery earlier this year, and having just received an invitation for the launch party of another cultural event.

And I love the comments I get from parents and friends of people I photographed. (Mainly buskers/musicians.)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

I once got a picture shortlisted in the DCM Photographer of the Year comp. Not much of an achievement, and nothing before or since. But I don't enter competitions (other than the fun ones on here and one group on Flickr), I'm not a camera club member, and I don't make any effort to sell anything. It's one of my hobbies and I do it simply because I like to.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

I enter fun competitions like H, and international competitions of such magnitude and renown, that I know beforehand, I will never ever even make any of the shortlists.

Never sold anything either, and now that I think of it, haven't even replied to that licence request yet.

But, I am waiting for someone to make me an offer (for a photograph), that I cannot refuse! (Always the optimist me.)
But I am not actively marketing my images.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

jinky

It was after I got a few successes in competitions that I started doing some paid jobs - just to fund my travels rather than being a career (thankfully or I`d be living in the gutter  :D)

Got into the finals of the DCM Photographer of the Year comp as many on here know - ended up going very close to financial gain and getting printed but the better thing was that shots from the same shoot also won me a £900 camera I promptly sold to fund my D700, a £300 prize on another photo mag comp and  a £200 prize with Nikon who then displayed that winning entry at the NEC on the same stage as Andy Rouse`s Antarctic Exhibition at Focus on Imaging (now defunct). Funny those three shots were taken in the space of 10 minutes on a misty snowy Chriustmas eve on a family sledging trip with no preparation - just quick grabs. Oh that I could repeat that again. NEC display was the proudest moment and the framed print they then sent me still adorns my wall. Had a bit of grief from a troll on that DCM comp which put me off comps for a while so not done many since but tried a couple last year / this and have managed a few more prizes inc a free flight,£150 worth of photobox products with Monarch / Jet 2.

Some of my shots have been in the press from events coverage - always fear colour shots in the Evening Post as their colour profiles are dreadful - I was thankful the last one did not have a credit to me after they had finished with it!

Got selected to put together a set of shots depicting "Leeds My Retail Soulmate" too to be shown as part of an exhibition celebrating the launch of the new Trinity Shopping Centre in Leeds. The exhibition was at the Trinity Church and actually cost me money to set up but nice week long exhibition. Nothing quite like the vanity of having hundreds of people walking through your work and saying " Yes that`s mine, glad you like it" - total sales - NIL.  :D

ABERS

Back in the 80's I entered magazine competitions, never winning one but getting quite a substantial amount for winning rounds and in the case of SLR POTY  I came runner up twice and third once and I developed a bridesmaid complex! I pocketed about 5000 pounds of equipment over about four years.

I then got hooked on trying to gain acceptances in national and international exhibitions with some success and won a couple of medals along the way, one in the British Open which doesn't exist today.

Returning to photography some six years ago I've continued along the same lines with acceptances now and again and enter 4 a year.

This year I attained a goal that I have tried to achieve ever since I began photography, an acceptance in the RPS International Print exhibition. So I'm well chuffed at that.

I never sell photos, I've given away quite a few which gives me a lift when visiting friends.

Graham

I'm not sure that I want to think about my proudest moment photographically or otherwise, it smacks of peak of achievement. Iv'e always been happier with little victories as they tend to come along fairly regularly.
    I photographed Ardal O'Hanlan last night, sent the pictures this morning and just received this from his manager;

Hi Graham,

A pleasure. Always nice to work with people that know what they are doing.

You've got some really great shots there. I'll show them to Ardal later and see if he fancies any of them for any promo etc...

All the best ***********

Little victories...that's all I ask.    :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

donoreo

This depresses me, I cannot think of any. 

deetus

I was once asked to photograph a friends daughters wedding, as a background photographer to take shots that the pro photographer probably wouldn't. I produced a book as a present for the bride and groom and then was pleasantly surprised to receive a request for two further copies. :)
Oh, I did once have a mini POTD in a certain well known mag  :-[

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.