• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 104
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 105
  • Total: 105
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Troublesome Dust Spots!!

Started by Matthew, July 22, 2013, 07:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

The other day I was setting my camera up for a day out, when as I looked through the view finder, I noticed a dust spot in the top right of my AF markers and one to the left. I also noticed two black dots in the bottom left corner, about the size of fullstops. Now, I removed my lens and used a rocket air brush to clean both the lens, mirror, even the sensor but alas, when I looked through the view finder again they were still there!

I must add that I took some test shots of the blue sky to see if they appeared on the picture, but they dont. It's also interesting to note that they dont appear in "live view" on the lcd screen. Could dust have got up into the view finder? I have a Canon EOS 600D.

Any help would be appreciated, as it's more of an annoyance than anything else.

Thanks Guys.
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donoreo

That is just dust on your viewfinder, not your sensor.   I have plenty.  They move around, but not often I ever get any on my sensor. 

StephenBatey

Agreed, it's the viewfinder. I seems that your camera has an interchangeable focussing screen, so you may be able to remove the screen and blow the dust spots away. From what I found on the internet http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/600den.htm it seems to be done in the same way as my OM cameras, so you'll probably need a special pair of angled tweezers.

If you do try this, the main area of concern is to not touch the mirror.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Hinfrance

I have cut small piece of microfibre cloth to protect the mirror when I am fumbling about with the focusing screen and viewfinder. Just a suggestion.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Matthew

Ahh, thanks guys. Like I say, it's more an annoyance, I might have a go at cleaning it but then I have the dexterity of King Kong with a pair of chopsticks when it comes to fiddly things  :D Since it's only a couple, I might just learn to live with it, just wanted to confirm it was a view finder issue. If it gets worse though, I will definately put your advice and tips to good use.  :tup:
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Matthew

Just wee update....I got rid of the dust!......I removed my lens and had a proper look. I could see the focusing screen and could easily get to it with my blower, gave a few hearty blasts (being careful not to touch the mirror) and all dust spots are gone! Thanks again guys for the tips, I am new to Dslr's so I didn't want to go in gung-ho and make the problem worse. Happy days  :tup:

SimonW

I was about to reply saying I had the same with my Pentax - black bits that can move about, not affecting the picture and obviously on the focussing screen. The internet told me how to remove and clean the screen but it looked a little scary so I haven't bothered.

Then the last comment popped up. I've used a rocket blower on the sensor but never tried deliberately aiming at the screen. Perhaps I should give it a go. Just a slight worry - where does the contamination end up if you blow it about? These bits might be larger than the dust on the sensor.

(I know, carefully point the lens opening downwards and hope gravity helps, but what if it doesn't?)
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

Simon, the focusing screen is really easy to remove and refit on the K10D. You just need to gently pry the screen mounting carrier down with a pair of ( preferably plastic ) tweezers. The front drops down and the screen can then be lifted clear. Mind you don't lose an of the spacers, if there are any. Replacing it is simply a matter of sliding the screen back into the carrier and pushing it back up until it clicks into place.

I know it sounds scary, but really it is dead simple.   ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

SimonW

Thanks for that H. My black bits aren't really too bothersome (otherwise I'd have tried to clean them already) but maybe I'll pluck up the courage soon.
Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.