• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 60
  • Total: 60
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

compact flash cards

Started by irv_b, March 28, 2010, 09:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irv_b

Right I have had a 8gb Kingston and a 4gb kodak cf card go on me and refuse to take images over the last month or so, so I was wondering is there an heirachy of decent to rubbish makes, in terms of reliability of compact flash cards - I am down to a 2gb card and want some more long term reliable cards (8gb preferably) your opinions are eagerly awaited  :beer:
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

picsfor

i've always used sandisk - but others on here wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
I know others get all their cards from 7 day shop.

I've as yet to see any thing concrete about memory cards...

Mick

Quote from: picsfor on March 28, 2010, 09:40:07 PM
i've always used sandisk - but others on here wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
I know others get all their cards from 7 day shop.

I've as yet to see any thing concrete about memory cards...

I also use Sandisk, and usually get them from 7dayshop.  Been very reliable for me. ( Quickly touches wood)  :tup:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Oldboy

Quote from: irv_b on March 28, 2010, 09:30:44 PM
Right I have had a 8gb Kingston and a 4gb kodak cf card go on me and refuse to take images over the last month or so, so I was wondering is there an heirachy of decent to rubbish makes, in terms of reliability of compact flash cards - I am down to a 2gb card and want some more long term reliable cards (8gb preferably) your opinions are eagerly awaited  :beer:

Have you tried doing a low level format on your PC? In Vista or WindowsXP, right click Start Button, select the card and right click and select Format from the drop-down list. Make sure the Quick Format option isn't ticked and click start. This might take over two hours to complete. When it finishes put into camera and select the format option in camera and the card should now be OK. IF it's still no good try contacting Kingston as they should replace the card for free.  :tup:

As to which cards try Sandisk which is what I use after Lexar let me down.  ;D

anglefire

Another vote for Scandisk - I also have tried Transdata (??) and are ok, but not so quick.

One question, do you format in the camera (Or out, it doesn't really matter!) once you have cleared the pictures off? Or do you just delete? If you delete, it can leave some data in the header, which then gets larger and larger, and eventually, the card becomes unusable until a format.

Also, how old are they? Have they just been used alot and have worn out? Unlikely with non-pro use, but possible.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

hssutton

For no particular reason I only use Kingston. Have done for years, speed is not important to me so just use 133x.
I always format via the PC unless out in the "field"

Harry

Simple

I use Kingston 133x and Scandisk, but I do not care whatever make it is, as long as it is cheap and quick. Mind you I use as my main card a 4Gb Lexar Pro UDMA card that was given to me.
Never had trouble with any card. (Knocks on his wooden head rapidly)

Malcolm1938

I have found both Dane-Elec and Transend from 7dayshop.com to be reliable and I also have some Kingston. Lexar and Sandisk plus one 2gb noname cheapo card. Up to now they have all worked faultlessly (Glad my computer desk is wooden, it's given something to touch). I always format in camera just in case the camera maker has a prefered format built in.
I would also add that I have a little experience with SD cards and have found them less reliable - maybe I've just been unlucky.....

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

skellum

I have used Sandisk for quite a while now for football matches and they have never let me down ( average about 150 shots per game )
I have also used Integral ( made by Toshiba ) which I have also found reliable.  See   www.memorybits.co.uk   if you buy from them they have a 15% discount at the moment. You have to type in promo code  ' spring15 '  at the checkout...... :legit:

irv_b

Thanks for all the replies guys it seems sandisk is the way forward :tup:
I usually format in camera after I have downloaded to the computer but I will give Oldboys' method a try and see what happens as they are only 2-3years old I was surpised that they are knackered  but that is just my luck >:(
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

SimonW

Sorry for the late reply but I've been away for a while....

Anyway, if two quite different cards started to misbehave at about the same time I might be tempted not to blame the cards, but look for another explanation. Perhaps a slightly dirty contact on the camera's edge connector for example. Just a thought!
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

picsfor

What turned into a simple question has turned into a technical lecture  :tup: but one with a good point.
Reading Simons comment about different makes and types of card failing simultaneously - i think he may have a point and maybe using Oldboys low level format through your computer could be worth a try.

Dirty or not quite so snuggly fitting contacts seem to provide the cause of many of problems with modern cameras of all makes and type.

Oldboy

While what Simon say may be correct, I think there is less chance of this with compact flash cards, as the pins are inserted into the card thereby, reducing the chance of bad contacts. Formatting cards in camera only removes the Fatfile and not the images. It's the same for quick format in windows whereas, a low level format will remove the images as well as the folders the camera sets up in the card boot sector which, is why you need to format in camera after the low level format on the PC.  ;D

Alfonso_Frisk

I use Sandisk, Kingston and Transcend cards, all 4gb.
The only one Ive had issues with was the Sandisk and its happened twice and I had to use some recovery software to get my shots (thanks to spinner)
Before I bin the card I will try OB's suggestion
Incidently I also had some issues with a SD card used on my D50 and again it was Sandisk

RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Just Dave

Hi

I was quite impressed with the write speed of Lexar Professional 600x UDMA Compact Flash Cards I want one their, great for sports and wild life shooting, 16gb £194.99, 8gb £129.99, from warehouse express so you'll probably be able to pick them up a little cheaper elsewhere

Check them out here Clicky Linky

Dave
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.