• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 32
  • Total: 32
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Golden Oldies

Started by Beaux Reflets, December 30, 2012, 08:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

It isn't' one of mine, but I wish it was! Very rude of me not to credit the picture to its author. Reinardina. It is on a CC gallery.

It's certainly good that we're all different in our views, otherwise we would all be looking at the same type of pictures. It took some time to find an image that caught my eye, but if people engage with this thread they would add considerably to the number of views images have, which apparently people want.

I suppose I'm a sucker for an image that catches my eye.I then look closer to see and examine why, that's why I ran on a bit about this image. ::) No apologies for that, I was always told one should always explain why you like or dislike an image.

Perhaps we all should do that more.

Reinardina

Thanks Alan for highlighting one of my shots.

The symmetry of the building always attracted me, and I wanted to 'do' something with it, and have done several times. I have quite a few images of it with different 'foregrounds,' but this one struck a chord. I'm glad it did for you too.

It got good reviews on the other forum too, but, as shown here again, we all look for and see different things in photographs. Which is good, as it teaches (me at least), to look at it with different eyes. The more this happens, the more I will 'see' possibilities, as and when they arise.

And I agree this thread might do wonders, not only for viewing figures, but also to engage people, 'force' them to have a closer look, and see other people's take of, and on things.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

This thread doesn't seem to have caught much in the way of interest and participation. Everyone seems to be running around taking pictures of trees, flowers, small animals and insects at the moment! Rubbish dumps and wheely bins, dustcarts, overflowing litter bins and assorted litter in hedgerows are next in line I expect.

However, hoping to make the thread a little more informative I looked up some notes made during a talk given by a judge of major national and international photographic competitions and awards for professional and amateur photographers whilst making a very good living as a professional photographer.

Before someone says 'I don't put up my work to be judged', of course you do! If you put up images to be looked at, you open them up to be judged as good bad or indifferent by the viewer.

The notes are in the order that the speaker delivered them and are brief and succinct. Most are fairly obvious and I apologise if they look like they are trying to teach Grandmother to suck eggs.

You may find them useful when you come to cast your votes on all the aforementioned images that are taking up everyone's time at present, especially point No.3.

Above all, the wow factor: visual dynamism/emotion/impact
What is it that holds one's attention?
Is it [image/concept] new/original?
Imagination: has the photographer thought creatively?
Is there an original approach?
Is there creative cropping?
What is the content – abstract/design?
The composition is "make or break".
Does it demand attention?
Consider the placement of the subject matter, including:
Harmonious elements; strong areas; graphic refinement?
Tension/drama in the composition?

Does the photographer have own style (through character of the image) distinct from others?
Good technique essential; avoid sloppy work; get it right in camera.

Documentary-type images/story-telling present/absent?
Make strong statement; viewer gets in one glance; emotional responses?
Make case believable (unless a fantasy on purpose).

Oh I forgot to mention Charity shops.

Reinardina

Very informative. A lot is common photographical sense, but seldom implemented by me. I am learning though, taking more and more on board as I go along.
And yes, the competition takes over the new uploads, but that will only change if/when more members upload non competition shots. I'll oblige once I finished this post. If my internet connection holds, that is.

Andrew

Blimey Alan - I can't take that lot with me when ever I take my camera out!  :o

For me, a picture works when makes me do a double take, or keep looking, or evokes a fond memory.

What makes me do a double take or keep looking is not set in stone. And I suppose that could be said of what makes me press the shutter button.
But what does stop people posting? Or reviewing?

Every no and again I'll pop into some ones gallery and view all the content - it can be good to remind us of what hass passed by this forum.
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Reinardina

Quote from: Andrew on May 05, 2014, 05:11:47 PM

For me, a picture works when makes me do a double take, or keep looking, or evokes a fond memory.

What makes me do a double take or keep looking is not set in stone. And I suppose that could be said of what makes me press the shutter button.

Every no and again I'll pop into some ones gallery and view all the content - it can be good to remind us of what hass passed by this forum.

When you analyse an image that makes you do a double take, don't you find some, or even a lot, of the points Alan mentioned are applicable to that image?

Next time you view someone's gallery, don't forget to post something that attracts special attention in this thread.
More people may become interested if they see interesting photos here. Especially those whose shot is chosen.

ABERS

I think you do anyway, but perhaps you don't realise it. The list comprises what a judge looks for and whilst you should never go out solely to please a judge there are some good pointers towards taking a decent picture and developing your own style.

You can cherry pick from the list or ignore it altogether, it was posted purely to help people perhaps get away from taking image after image of the same type of thing ad infinitum and expand their views on photography.

Alfonso_Frisk

The best bit of advice I was given by a very capable photographer (who also judges many a club up here in the NE ), was -
and I quote -

"When you next go out, start looking for stories within a scene rather than trying to find things to record with the camera.
Stay in a small area for at least an hour, two or three hours if you can. Stories don't always leap out on you. Go back several times. Try different positions (up/down/left/right/nearer/further)
Remember, good photography has very little to do with the camera – it's just a recording device – your eyes and brain are what matter most."

RR
Tony
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

ABERS

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on May 06, 2014, 12:12:37 PM
The best bit of advice I was given by a very capable photographer (who also judges many a club up here in the NE ), was -
and I quote -

"When you next go out, start looking for stories within a scene rather than trying to find things to record with the camera.
Stay in a small area for at least an hour, two or three hours if you can. Stories don't always leap out on you. Go back several times. Try different positions (up/down/left/right/nearer/further)
Remember, good photography has very little to do with the camera – it's just a recording device – your eyes and brain are what matter most."

RR
Tony

Sounds like a wise man Tony. Another bit of advice is " Look beyond just what you see and find what's there".

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on May 06, 2014, 02:30:26 PM
Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on May 06, 2014, 12:12:37 PM
and I quote -

RR
Tony

Sounds like a wise man Tony. Another bit of advice is " Look beyond just what you see and find what's there".

I'm always told (and almost always forget), to look behind me as well.

Andrew

Quote from: Reinardina on May 05, 2014, 06:14:52 PM

As Alan has said, we do take a lot of it with us - bit like walking to the shops. We don't realise we look left or right at the kerb side to see if it is safe to cross - we just do it.
It's just that when you put it in a list like that...

As for offering comments - I've long since finished giving Jim Bowen comments (super, smashing, great). I either say why I like the pic, or I say nothing at all. For me, the issue nowadays is finding the time amongst my studies and getting out on my bike...

When you analyse an image that makes you do a double take, don't you find some, or even a lot, of the points Alan mentioned are applicable to that image?

Next time you view someone's gallery, don't forget to post something that attracts special attention in this thread.
More people may become interested if they see interesting photos here. Especially those whose shot is chosen.
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

JaneM

I am gradually working my way through the gallery, and enjoying seeing some amazing photographs in there, I came across this shot and loved it instantly, the mist/fog really make it, and I look at it and expect a horseman or something to come towards me from the mist, the framing of the trees make this shot.

This was another shot I loved, the perception is the water goes on forever, and the detail in the sky carries the shot :)

Reinardina

Thank you for highlighting these!

DigiDiva

Here's a Golden Oldie I have revisited and played with a little more.....

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

ABERS

Good attempt at a 'Classic' still life DD, the lighting seems a little flat in as much as the basket and fruit has the same overall light level. An artist local to you, Tim Gustard, has it off to a 'T'.

He used to work in our local branch office in Gateshead and it was a joy to see his paintings adorning the walls there. Well worth finding an excuse to visit.

He then began to sell his work and get plenty of commissions and now makes a fine living at it. It might be worth having a look at how he does it.

http://www.jackfineart.com/Tim-Gustard/Tim-Gustard.htm

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.