• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 56
  • Total: 56
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Framing & Mounting

Started by ABERS, April 06, 2013, 09:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

I've just read Beaureflex's informative article on the above subject. Whilst I always mount my prints with a bevelled cut matte I rarely frame them.

If you are preparing a panel of prints for exhibition it's imperative that the mounts are of the same colour and size, since, hopefully, the prints follow a theme. What that colour is, is a personal choice and suit the prints involved. If the exhibition comprises panels from a number of contributors, it's not necessary for all the mounts to be the same colour, and of course it's equally not necessary for all the prints from the contributors to be the same size.

Where an exhibition comprises individual prints and is by invitation or selection, your work may be mounted, sometimes even printed and framed to conform to the overall exhibition "look".

Photo size and orientation is an irrelevance where mounting is concerned, I cut the matte to suit the photo, not vice versa.

The framing of prints by individuals, unless it's your own exhibition, is usually for display in your own home or where a sale of your work is involved, and is a personal choice. I've yet to meet anyone that frames prints for the sake of it! It can be a costly undertaking.

Printing and mounting I find a totally satisfying part of photography, it's the cherry on the cake, the final act in a process that started when you pressed that button way back, and it's something that I would never trust to anyone else with my work, unless, as has happened on a few occasions, an exhibition organiser demands that they take responsibility to suit their presentation.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: ABERS on April 06, 2013, 09:26:11 AM

Photo size and orientation is an irrelevance where mounting is concerned, I cut the matte to suit the photo, not vice versa.

I tend to agree in the ideal of cutting the matte to suit the photograph, but this often leads to the requirement of 'Made to measure' outer framing; especially if the image is being cropped to a non standard proportion. Some photographs may also benefit from a proportionally larger matte area, width of mount.

Made to measure framing is very expensive and I have occasionally selected an off the shelf frame, and in these circumstances, the print size and width of matte cuts have been adjusted accordingly.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

ABERS

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on April 06, 2013, 11:05:00 AM
Made to measure framing is very expensive and I have occasionally selected an off the shelf frame, and in these circumstances, the print size and width of matte cuts have been adjusted accordingly.

Exactly. All my mattes measure 40X50 cms in order to fit premade standard off the shelf frames. The photograph can be of any dimension and orientation within that matte size, leaving adequate and acceptable border widths within the matte.

I've just given a few prints, chosen by some friends for their house in France, in 40X50 mounts so that they can choose the frames that suit them.

I don't have any problems choosing frames for our house, since I never hang my pictures indoors. I always think that's a little pretentious>

Beaux Reflets

In my view, for those working from home, having the odd landscape or still life shot on display is hardly pretentious, and over the years I have sold quite a few images and sculptures that way.

I guess it is what you are used to, but having sight of a few of your favorite shots can often inspire and drive you on to do better and more.

Graham

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Reinardina

Quote from: Graham on April 07, 2013, 07:38:01 AM
  Pretentious! Moi? :knuppel2:

I have two A3 prints, professionally framed, on the wall. They have been there for some years and they have taught me, what I should have done better. I have learnt a lot since then, but somehow never got round to ordering new prints and replacing them. As I am the only one among family and friends, who is interested in photography, the old prints are still admired. Land of the blind etc ...

For the exhibition however, my shots were printed by a friend who also bevel-cut the mounts to the right size. They then went into standard frames. That's the way I will go in future.

While on the subject, can I ask your advice on the best way to attach the print to the background? (Matte? I'm not familiar yet, with the terminology.)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

Oh dear I used the wrong word (Pretentious). A few synonyms later perhaps I should have said Flash or Showy.

Matte or Mat is the part that has the bevel cut aperture which 'frames' the picture. Dependant on what weight of paper the image is printed on it may be necessary to spray the back of the picture with a mount adhesive and fix to a stiffer more robust card. This obviates the sometimes annoying tendency for the print to not lay flat against the back of the matte or mat when taped onto it.

Quote "As I am the only one among family and friends, who is interested in photography, the old prints are still admired. Land of the blind etc ...".

I think that's always a puzzle. We've just finished our annual club exhibition where prints are offered for sale if the photgrapher is so inclined. These prints have red dots applied throught the course of the exhibition indicating someone's willingness to purchase them. On the last day when having a final wander around I was amazed to see dots galore on prints that depicted sunrise/sunsets, beach huts and flowers galore. So the moral is, if you want to sell prints "Know your market".

Reinardina

Thanks Alan. I am not worried by the word 'pretentious.' In my case, I simply wanted to 'show off.' I was incredibly proud of what I did; like a child showing off her drawings.
(I can always use my very poor eyesight as an excuse, if I need one!)

Friends occasionally ask for a particular photograph (I encourage them to do so, whenever they see something they really like), but I simply mail them the file and they do the rest themselves.

About knowing your market. Yes, I suppose if you want to sell, and sell on a regular basis, you have to stick to 'Wall Art' type shots. But then all department stores sell those.

I have never sold anything (yet?), but I have never been in a position to be able to sell.
Once I get my pictures back from the gallery, I want to try and get some shops to display them 'for sale.'
If I have the guts, that is.

At least they have provenance now!

Any advice on how to go about it and what to do and what to avoid?

I want to take them to Winchester, as there are a lot more 'individual' shops than here in Southampton. More money as well. And all three shots happened to be shot in Winchester, which nay help.

Mick

Following this thread with interest.  Never done any picture framing myself, but I'm going to give it a go soon. 

And for anyone who's not seen Andy's latest article, it can be found here. Article Index

Thanks Andy.  :tup:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on April 07, 2013, 11:48:24 AM
Thanks Alan. I am not worried by the word 'pretentious.' In my case, I simply wanted to 'show off.' I was incredibly proud of what I did; like a child showing off her drawings.
(I can always use my very poor eyesight as an excuse, if I need one!)

Friends occasionally ask for a particular photograph (I encourage them to do so, whenever they see something they really like), but I simply mail them the file and they do the rest themselves.

About knowing your market. Yes, I suppose if you want to sell, and sell on a regular basis, you have to stick to 'Wall Art' type shots. But then all department stores sell those.

I have never sold anything (yet?), but I have never been in a position to be able to sell.
Once I get my pictures back from the gallery, I want to try and get some shops to display them 'for sale.'
If I have the guts, that is.

At least they have provenance now!

Any advice on how to go about it and what to do and what to avoid?

I want to take them to Winchester, as there are a lot more 'individual' shops than here in Southampton. More money as well. And all three shots happened to be shot in Winchester, which nay help.

Mini exhibition in Building Society, Solicitor (Local News wag  ;) ) windows and the like can prove very fruitful especially if some of proceeds/commission is going to their Charity choice   :tup:

Other wise its a matter of finding a Cafe or Hair Salon wall space or similar - Or a Gallery etc. Local Photographer shop :) the good ones are not likely to see it as competition for their customers and can infact gain customers with such open support.

The biggest merit you offer; Is that you will be helping to draw customers to their shop not only by a good photo' but as you will obviously be networking and telling friends where you are exhibiting.

All the Jessops shops I have ever visited failed to connect by offering dedicated exhibition space to local folk all year round - Hope dragon Peter spots this aspect as a sensible way to increase customer counts  ;D

Avoid spending any money to rent space or street stalls some Councils offer.

If there is an empty High street shop - find a few other photographers and host a show with them - But negotiate the deal with the shop owner that you only cover electricity used and a proportion of commission minus the electric bill if it is a success.

As Alan mentioned research your market so you exhibit stuff that sells  ;) Local scenes with or without a Reinardina's twist, cute shots etc. But do push your favorites and specialities as well.

Best of luck Reinardina and let us know how things turn out.  :Tupi:

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Mick on April 07, 2013, 01:10:17 PM
Following this thread with interest.  Never done any picture framing myself, but I'm going to give it a go soon. 

And for anyone who's not seen Andy's latest article, it can be found here. Article Index

Thanks Andy.  :tup:

You are welcome Mick.

I feel sure other's may have tips methods and devices they utilise.

Do they still sell pre gummed brown paper parceling tape in the UK - It is the best I know of for sealing the backs of frames to stop ingress of dust etc.  :tup:

Reinardina

Thanks Andy. Some valuable tips!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.