• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 43
  • Total: 43
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

THE END OF AN ERA!

Started by ABERS, September 03, 2009, 08:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

It's gone then, passed away, shuffled off this mortal coil, dead, defunct, kicked the bucket, switched off, gone the way of the Norwegian Blue, brown bread, popped it's clogs, terminated.

Dear old DCM has snuffed it. R.I.P.

Went to look at the DCM forums and all I got was it's sickly offspring  Photoradar. :(

Mick

A little note on DCM wouldn't have been too much to ask would it.  ::)  Shame though, even with all it's faults the DCM site was still better than PR, IMO.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

hevans

Quote from: admin on September 03, 2009, 09:12:02 AM
A little note on DCM wouldn't have been too much to ask would it.  ::)  Shame though, even with all it's faults the DCM site was still better than PR, IMO.

I agree, the simplicity of DCM was what made it quite comfy. PR is just that little bit too complex, with a corresponding complex layout (Have to admit, I do have the same criticism of CC - the content of the posts should be more obvious, as should the navigation (next page, the forum list at the top, etc. - but that's a personal suggestion, not a critcism of CC).

Mick

Quote from: hevans on September 03, 2009, 09:31:06 AM

I agree, the simplicity of DCM was what made it quite comfy. PR is just that little bit too complex, with a corresponding complex layout (Have to admit, I do have the same criticism of CC - the content of the posts should be more obvious, as should the navigation (next page, the forum list at the top, etc. - but that's a personal suggestion, not a critcism of CC).

No problem H.  I have to say , now this site has become more active it's difficult to keep up with things in the forums.  This wasn't apparent to me when the site was quiet.  I'm going to look at this and see if there's any way to improve things.

Ideas / suggestions on a postcard please. ;)

My Gallery

OpenSea

greypoint

Flake's started posting so it just needs Matt and Mr.Ritchie and let the arguing begin - some good practice for the moderating skills of the team ::) :doh: :2funny:

hevans

Quote from: admin on September 03, 2009, 09:39:51 AM
No problem H.  I have to say , now this site has become more active it's difficult to keep up with things in the forums.  This wasn't apparent to me when the site was quiet.  I'm going to look at this and see if there's any way to improve things.

Ideas / suggestions on a postcard please. ;)
(FWIW I'm using the Cranium-BlackandBlue theme)

My suggestions for the FORUM pages include:
1. remove the "Users in Arcade" and "Latest gallery Images" from the forum pages. I'm in the forum, not the galleries. This takes up useful real estate at the top of the page.
2. "cameracraniums.com > Forum > General Category > General Discussion > THE END OF AN ERA!" needs to be in a bigger font and more prominent on the page. It's not that I can't read the font, it's just that I have difficulty quickly hitting the link for navigation - a bigger font would make it easier for us ham fisted people.
3. as with #2, but for the "Pages" link. trying to get to the next page of posts on the thread is also not as ergonomically friendly as it could be.
4. is there a "go to first unread" option in the software? This link would be helpful to quickly pass over the read items and get on to the unread ones.
5. can you set the background colour of the contents of the post (the bit typed in by the poster, rather than the header) to a lighter colour, so the eye is drawn to it? The busy-ness of the page makes it less easy to quickly find the contents of the posts (particularly if there's a quote, which then appears in lighter grey - again this is due to my choice of theme, probably - I'm open to alternative recommentations).

I may not have seen it, but is there an equivalent of the DCM "Active posts"? I really liked this feature on DCM. Edit: just discovered it in a blindingly obvious place - home page, next to the avatar...D'oh!

Can you put a link on the galleries page to "My Gallery"? I find the only navigation to my own gallery is to go to the global galleries, then hover over the house icon at the top and then a link to my gallery appears. Is there a more direct route?

As this is off topic, please feel free to move these suggestions to a more appropriate place (the bin perhaps? :))

Ta.
Hugh

Mick

Thanks for the feedback H.  1: is easy and sorted that already.  See what everyone thinks.  The other stuff I'll look at when I return from work. (yes work :( )

My Gallery

OpenSea

alan1j

Morning all, As Alan says, I too went to have a look at DCM this morning only to find P........ invading my computer..NOT NICE!!
Just goes to show what the people at future must have thought of us all, Not so much as a word on DCM to say it's shutting!!
And P........ still the same haphazard place with the same problems, even now its LIVE..LOL. So what was the beta testing all about, LOts of imput by members with very little in the way of orginisation and correcting but THE TEAM!!

Or is it just me!!

Glad to have found this vibrant friendly little place ;), OH and a spell checker, that's neat as my spellings atroosshuss...LOL

John Doyle2

Bye, Bye DCM. Your offspring is still in a cradle!

Oldboy

Very sad!  :'(
Still it's boosted the membership on here!  ;D ;D

Hybridphotog

Quote from: John Doyle2 on September 03, 2009, 11:47:49 AM
Bye, Bye DCM. Your offspring is still in a cradle!
It was still in the cradle, but it was tipped out before it could walk. :(

picsfor

As i've said before, i would have missed it before if i hadn't found this place.

It was a great site that created a great community. It helped to introduce many like minded people to each other and spawned many friendships and even helped launch a few careers.

Just such a shame it fell into the hands of the headless chicken brigade.

RIP DCM - you will not be forgotten - but your successor might be!

happypaddler

That's it, both DCM & PR bookmarks removed from my bookmarks bar! I just had a look at the T & C's and they have not really changed - Future still have the rights to use (as it is or by altering through any means) anything posted royalty free. I may venture across once a blue moon - but I'll have to remember it exists first.

Thanks Mick for setting this site up! I'll be your name sake for a while, that is lurking... I've finally been given a diagnosis of Myalgic Encephalopathy after many years of annoyance as to what is going on with my body. I have numerous things that I need to do to try and beat it/manage it properly, as well as running around after a 2 year old and trying to meet work deadlines. Not that I've been a prolific poster anyway. Big life changes ahead - which will knock me for six as I implement them!

picsfor

sorry to hear about the medical condition.
Latin is not my strongest subject being a carrot cruncher by origin - so what actually does that nice latin phrase mean in English if it is not an embarrassing question?

CML-1591

Quote from: picsfor on September 03, 2009, 02:13:55 PM
sorry to hear about the medical condition.
Latin is not my strongest subject being a carrot cruncher by origin - so what actually does that nice latin phrase mean in English if it is not an embarrassing question?

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)

Just google the latin...
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.