• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 286
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 293
  • Total: 293
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Tripod Advice

Started by DigiDiva, July 29, 2013, 08:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiDiva

I need to buy a new tripod. My last one was a Jessops carbon Fibre one, but the head went quite loose after a while. I want to spend around £100. Can anyone recommend one?
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

wavemachine

Well all I can say is I have had a Manfrotto 190xprob for 7 years and it is still going strong, a bit over budget but should last a lifetime:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-190XPROB-Tripod-496RC2-Compact/dp/B002Q6HWTS/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1375099967&sr=8-14&keywords=manfrotto+tripod
My Flickr
366 Project

Dave

Turn to the dark side, we have tea and biscuits

donoreo

You cannot just replace the head?  Buy cheap = buy often.   Also "Never be afraid to buy the very best, you will not be disappointed".   Hmmm any other cliches? :)  I purchased a fairly cheap tripod and will probably have to replace it within a year or two, depending on my usage.  I will be going for something with an adjustable centre column, but not a Manfrotto, they only do up or 180 degrees.   I will be looking at Giottos or Vanguard as their centre column will adjust to any angle.   I will not be going CF because the weight is not an issue for me being a big burly man :)  In reality the difference in price to weight savings ratio does not work out for me, cost too much for too little in weight saving.

Jediboy

I have this and am very pleased with it. Just over £100 but if memory serves me correctly then I think this was a £300+ tripod.
It's heavy so you wouldn't really want to walk long distances with it, nut very sturdy and of excellent build quality.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SLIK-PRO-700-DX-Tripod/dp/B0002EXF38
May the Force be with you.

Chris

DigiDiva

Will look at those you have suggested. wish I could spend more but unless I wait a few months, I cant and Im struggling without one.

wavemachine

If you want something solid with no frils then something like this is in your budget:- http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-293a4-aluminium-tripod-and-a0rc2-ball-head-kit/p1524353?awc=2298_1375123772_ba4bfc480942ccfef45b205241bbd774&utm_source=aw#details

Certainly will last longer than the Jessops tripod and you can change the heads.
My Flickr
366 Project

Dave

Turn to the dark side, we have tea and biscuits

DigiDiva

Funnily enough, I was looking at that one, and have my eye on this one too...

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-vanguard-abeo-283av-aluminium-tripod-with-ph-113v-video-head/p1539038#details

Its a good reduction on the price but not a make Im familiar with and not many British companies sell it. Manfrotto is a household name amongst photogaphers.

Wex Photographic is the cmpany my house insuranse used t supply my replacement kit.

alexharrison101

not sure if you're still looking DD, but i just got this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MeFoto-RoadTrip-Convertible-Section-Aluminium/dp/B003ANK9ZA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375785835&sr=8-2&keywords=mefoto+roadtrip and it's excellent...bit over your stated budget, but they also do a  more lightweight one (and a more industrial one). might be worth a look?
EOS 700D, 50mm f/1.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200 L f/4 IS plus a whole load of filters and closeup attachments!

my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexharrison101/

DigiDiva

I ended up ignoring all of the advice above and bought the one I had before. Two reasons for this was that I was familiar with ut, was used to carrying it and it was light enough to go into my suitcase for my numerous holidays. I hate change haha

Hinfrance

My favourite tripod is from the 1960s. The tilt handle is held together with gaffer tape and the legs are getting a bit sticky to extend and retract. I have no idea what make it is.

I also have a Lidl special because it is light, cheap, and reasonably rigid, and a rather more heavy duty unbranded one. But like all modern tripods they both have those horrid separate mounting plates. I have cannot understand the point of those: they are incredibly fiddly to fit to the camera, and have to be taken off the moment you have finished using the tripod. They add bulk to the camera and mean it can't be put down anywhere either because they scratch the surface of whatever the camera is placed upon, and just generally b*gger up the camera handling. In short I hate them.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

SimonW

Now there's an interesting point of view...  I've owned and used a tripod since the 70s.  It has a built-in pan/tilt which cannot be removed. My only complaint is the time and awkward fiddling involved with screwing the camera on to it. (In those early days some tripods were sold with over-long screws which could and did go through the bottom of the camera into the works, with fatal (to the camera at least) results. So I'm still a little wary of over-tightening them.)

Anyway, for a Christmas pressie I got a new tripod with a quick-release plate. I keep the plate on the camera all the time, and I love the ease of mounting the camera on the tripod....
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

2Beers

Quote from: SimonW on August 06, 2013, 01:15:33 PM
Now there's an interesting point of view...  I've owned and used a tripod since the 70s.  It has a built-in pan/tilt which cannot be removed. My only complaint is the time and awkward fiddling involved with screwing the camera on to it. (In those early days some tripods were sold with over-long screws which could and did go through the bottom of the camera into the works, with fatal (to the camera at least) results. So I'm still a little wary of over-tightening them.)

Anyway, for a Christmas pressie I got a new tripod with a quick-release plate. I keep the plate on the camera all the time, and I love the ease of mounting the camera on the tripod....

I am the same the qr plate is permanently attached to the camera which makes it simple and quick to attach

donoreo

Quote from: DigiDiva on August 06, 2013, 12:18:35 PM
I ended up ignoring all of the advice above and bought the one I had before. Two reasons for this was that I was familiar with ut, was used to carrying it and it was light enough to go into my suitcase for my numerous holidays. I hate change haha
/D'oh!  How long did it last the first time? 

2Beers

Quote from: donoreo on August 06, 2013, 07:31:44 PM

Lol Don I suspect it got nicked along with her camera equipment :'(

donoreo

Quote from: 2Beers on August 06, 2013, 07:52:48 PM
Quote from: donoreo on August 06, 2013, 07:31:44 PM

Lol Don I suspect it got nicked along with her camera equipment :'(
i think she said it broke.  Maybe I am remembering wrong.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.