• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 69
  • Total: 69
  • Bingbot
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

It's Guest's round

spinner

Quote from: Jonathan on September 30, 2010, 08:31:29 AM

The mighty charge appears to be "because we can".  The chip will be no more or less expensive than one for a Jeep or a Bentley but the code on it is proprietary so manufacturer gets to set the price.

Ah yes, the old "nobody makes them cuz the manufacturer won't licence it" bit. I remember getting stung on that once. I think it was VW too.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

CML-1591

Quote from: greypoint on September 30, 2010, 10:58:51 AM
Well, the good news is that the chassis number throws up 03G 906 018 EL as the part number for your engine ECU and the current price is £672 inc. VAT. That should be correct as I'm using VW's own search facility and I've just updated the prices.

Now thats what the online community is about hey?
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Jonathan

Quote from: CML-1591 on September 30, 2010, 05:30:49 PM
Quote from: greypoint on September 30, 2010, 10:58:51 AM
Well, the good news is that the chassis number throws up 03G 906 018 EL as the part number for your engine ECU and the current price is £672 inc. VAT. That should be correct as I'm using VW's own search facility and I've just updated the prices.

Now thats what the online community is about hey?

Definitely :)

However.....I rang one of these ECU expert places.  They told me....

1. It's not possible to test a faulty ECU for a diesel engine.  You can diagnose it in the car but if it won't tell you what's wrong you can't take it out, simulate a diesel engine and find the problem.  So generally you have to replace a faulty one.

2. The ECU I have is (surprise, surprise) very rare.  He has a "similar" one that may work but I'm nervous.  System crash while going round a bend at 70......?

3. £672 is trade buy in price.  Main dealer will add maybe 30% then charge me for fitting and coding.  Which can apparently be done in 10 mins but often takes a dealer 3 - 4 hours....

Which is a shame.  Because a refurb fully coded and ready to drop in is about £200........
It's Guest's round

greypoint

£672 is the retail cost inc VAT. From what I've been told it takes up to a couple of hours to do the physical bit - remove and refit - coding probably does take about 10minutes [if all goes well!] Whether you need a main dealer to do it usually depends on if you have the immobiliser code - if not the car has to be hooked up to the factory. They always used to put the code on a plastic tag attached to one of the keys [and we always kept a record as well because customers tend to lose them] I think they stopped that as a 'security' measure - or rather  as another way to keep people away from independents - if you have that code I assume anyone with appropriate software can do it - but I'd have to check ::)

irv_b

Quote from: Oldboy on September 28, 2010, 10:57:49 PM
Quote from: irv_b on September 28, 2010, 04:08:28 PM
WAMT
Well yesterday we had a power cut in the street and when the electric was restored one of the computers wouldn't boot up so after several tries and plenty of swearing (I know nothing about computers) I phone the Mesh computer helpline  (in India) get passed around 3 depts to be told I need a total restore of windows. 2 and a bit hours later at £2 /min  :o we finally get the computer back on - I may as well of spent another couple of hundred quid gone out and bought a brand new one at that cost  >:(

Should have posted the problem on here first.  ???

My guess is the computer was on when the power went,so a file/files became corrupt.

correct :tup:

Should have been able to boot into safe mode, and used the Windows system disk to replace the corrupted files.  :tup:

tried all the modes but none worked  :'(
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Oldboy

Quote from: irv_b on September 30, 2010, 07:07:00 PM
Quote from: irv_b on September 28, 2010, 04:08:28 PM
WAMT
Well yesterday we had a power cut in the street and when the electric was restored one of the computers wouldn't boot up so after several tries and plenty of swearing (I know nothing about computers) I phone the Mesh computer helpline  (in India) get passed around 3 depts to be told I need a total restore of windows. 2 and a bit hours later at £2 /min  :o we finally get the computer back on - I may as well of spent another couple of hundred quid gone out and bought a brand new one at that cost  >:(

Should have posted the problem on here first.  ???

My guess is the computer was on when the power went,so a file/files became corrupt.

correct :tup:

Should have been able to boot into safe mode, and used the Windows system disk to replace the corrupted files.  :tup:

tried all the modes but none worked  :'(
You needed to put the Windows disk into your CD/DVD drive and it should have booted from that, and given you the option to repair the corrupted files.  :tup:

Hinfrance

THIS. I'm speechless. Which is a rare thing for me.

It may disappear, as the perpetrators of this abomination attempt to wipe it from the web.

Don't let little ones see this.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Looks like someone been watching Scanners!  :o

I don't think it will help with saving the planet.  :(

jinky

Got a certain perverse pleasure out of seeing Ginola get the treatment as he seems to recall his Tottenham years so much more than the ones at Newcastle that made him.
Hard to see the point of this wanton violence though for the cause concerned. If Scanners had been current maybe

spinner

Ol' blue eyes

spinner

Quote from: Tringle WP on October 01, 2010, 07:18:33 PM

It may disappear, as the perpetrators of this abomination attempt to wipe it from the web.

It would appear you're partially right.

http://www.1010global.org/no-pressure
Ol' blue eyes

Hinfrance

"We won't be making any attempt to censor or remove other versions currently in circulation on the internet." - translation 'we know that there is now nothing that can be done to stop this becoming a viral video'

According to the blogs they certainly started out trying to remove it; they just know they can't now. The cat, as they say, is out of the bag.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jonathan

Quote from: Tringle WP on October 01, 2010, 07:18:33 PM

So I'm the only one that absolutely loved it.....?

As for not letting little ones watch it....I think they did a very good job of making the "violence" cartoon like.

The whole cat out of the bag thing?  There were over a hundred media professionals working on it.  Does anybody doubt that they knew what the reaction would be?  Perfect viral marketing - they don't even have to pay for bandwidth now.
It's Guest's round

anglefire

I thought it funny too. If it brings the carbon thing to the forefront then I'm for it.

It's not a race to use the worlds energy up!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.