• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 72
  • Total: 72
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

Quote from: spinner on September 07, 2010, 01:15:13 PM
I ran a command line program called Testdisk in Ubuntu and it basically says the disk is corrupted beyond recovery. Something about MBR, headers and cylinders not matching.

MBR used to stand for Master Boot Record (may still do) and was often attached to the bootable drive of a computer.
Now, if you have a good copy of the MBR, and your hacking skills are up there - it is doable.

The reality is, most often, that the drive is screwed and only a thorough format will make it usable again. Doesn't always work - but better than nothing.
Myself, given the cost of memory cards nowadays, i'd bin it and get a new one...

spinner

Quote from: picsfor on September 07, 2010, 02:41:33 PM
I ran a command line program called Testdisk in Ubuntu and it basically says the disk is corrupted beyond recovery. Something about MBR, headers and cylinders not matching.

MBR used to stand for Master Boot Record (may still do) and was often attached to the bootable drive of a computer.
Now, if you have a good copy of the MBR, and your hacking skills are up there - it is doable.

The reality is, most often, that the drive is screwed and only a thorough format will make it usable again. Doesn't always work - but better than nothing.
Myself, given the cost of memory cards nowadays, i'd bin it and get a new one...

While I do have the skills, I agree with you, not worth the effort particularly when I only lost 10 out of 100 RAW's.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

skellum

Droped and broke my flash.. >:( :'(  It still works manually but won't attach to the camera...

Oldboy

Quote from: spinner on September 07, 2010, 05:22:04 PM
Quote from: picsfor on September 07, 2010, 02:41:33 PM

While I do have the skills, I agree with you, not worth the effort particularly when I only lost 10 out of 100 RAW's.
If you did a low level format using the PC then it should reset MBR and your headers and cylinders and mark bad sectors as unusable.  :tup:

Graham

Quote from: Dave on September 07, 2010, 07:28:37 PM
Droped and broke my flash.. >:( :'(  It still works manually but won't attach to the camera...
Sorry to hear that. Somebody somewhere is telling you to slow down a bit! ;)
                        Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Did you swear? I would have.  :-[

Perhaps you could get it repaired or if it's the metal leg try openimg it up a bit with a screwdriver.  :tup:

skellum

Bought another flash the damaged one sits on the supplied stand ok ( or tripod ) and can be used as a remote slave flash so drama over and I have another addition to my Kit... :)

Jonathan

If it's just impact damage to the foot then it's easy (and relatively cheap) to get it fixed.

Before Nikon changed to metal feet it was about 12 quid and they could do it while you wait.  That's because laods of people broke them all the time ;)
It's Guest's round

spinner

FLICKR. I tried to delete a couple of my photos as I'd posted them in the wrong set. Flickr instead of just deleting them started nagging me. Are you sure, are you sure. I think it gave me that damn are you sure message 3 times before it would finally delete the photos. Talk about playing to the lowest common denominator among us. Are people really that stupid? :(
Ol' blue eyes

Oldboy

Quote from: spinner on September 17, 2010, 02:24:11 PM
FLICKR. I tried to delete a couple of my photos as I'd posted them in the wrong set. Flickr instead of just deleting them started nagging me. Are you sure, are you sure. I think it gave me that damn are you sure message 3 times before it would finally delete the photos. Talk about playing to the lowest common denominator among us. Are people really that stupid? :(

Yes.  :o

I remember a girl who put a floppy disk in her PC to update some files on it, and somehow got the reformat disk option to start. The first question it asks is, "Do you want to format disk?", and the options Yes No with Yes selected by default. To get out of this she hit the enter key. The next question was, "Formatting will erase all data on the disk?", with the option Yes No again with Yes selected by default. Again she hit the enter key and the disk was formatted.  :'( Asked why she hit the enter key each time she said she was trying to stop it.  :-[

spinner

Ol' blue eyes

picsfor

if it was in the days of floppy disks - surely she was vanilla  :D ;D :doh:

Hinfrance

The problem is with tecky language: when we had our firsts digital camera some years ago the inimitable Mrs H was looking through our holiday snaps on the last day of our trip. She happened upon an image that was taken portrait rather than landscape and looked for a way to change it. She happened upon the 'format' command, and decided yes she did wish to change the format of the image from landscape to portrait and OK'd the action, believing that she would then be presented with a subsequent menu containing the options. This was in the days before Zero Assumption, so that was the end of the contents of that card.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: spinner on September 17, 2010, 09:49:03 PM
Was she ........blonde? :legit:

No, dark haired. She used to come into work at 10:00. One day the senior manager asked why she didn't come in earlier and her reply was, "I don't like getting up earlier!"  :o

She didn't last long after that.  :doh:

Quote from: picsfor on September 17, 2010, 11:25:21 PM
if it was in the days of floppy disks - surely she was vanilla  :D ;D :doh:

It was our first IMB 286 PC with a 10mb, yes 10mb, hard drive with Dos 3.3 and Windows 3.1.  :tup:

Oldboy

Quote from: Tringle WP on September 18, 2010, 08:20:38 AM
The problem is with tecky language: when we had our firsts digital camera some years ago the inimitable Mrs H was looking through our holiday snaps on the last day of our trip. She happened upon an image that was taken portrait rather than landscape and looked for a way to change it. She happened upon the 'format' command, and decided yes she did wish to change the format of the image from landscape to portrait and OK'd the action, believing that she would then be presented with a subsequent menu containing the options. This was in the days before Zero Assumption, so that was the end of the contents of that card.

You could still have recovered it then, if you had a PC and were willing to use MSDos's Recovery program, but if you didn't get it right then your harddrive would have been toast!  :'(

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.