• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 203
  • Total: 203
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Quote from: spinner on June 09, 2010, 12:25:18 PM
Quote from: Tringle WP on June 09, 2010, 06:52:33 AM
Not getting past 'no operating system' was what my ancient Dell laptop did until I installed Linux. It's worked perfectly ever since.

But it does sound like yours is very broken.

I would consider a Linux powered netbook and put the rest of the money you could have wasted buying an Apple product, around £700 I'd guess, back in the bank. That's what Jobs would do with it.  :D The money that is, just put it in his bank.

I'm trying to resurrect an old IBM Thinkpad doing that. Have Mint installed but the wireless won't work, going to look for a new card after payday.  ;D

The flavour I used was Freespire - the wireless worked instantly. Although it is KDE based not Gnome.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

spinner

Quote from: Tringle WP on June 09, 2010, 04:08:10 PM
Quote from: spinner on June 09, 2010, 12:25:18 PM
Quote from: Tringle WP on June 09, 2010, 06:52:33 AM
Not getting past 'no operating system' was what my ancient Dell laptop did until I installed Linux. It's worked perfectly ever since.

But it does sound like yours is very broken.

I would consider a Linux powered netbook and put the rest of the money you could have wasted buying an Apple product, around £700 I'd guess, back in the bank. That's what Jobs would do with it.  :D The money that is, just put it in his bank.

I'm trying to resurrect an old IBM Thinkpad doing that. Have Mint installed but the wireless won't work, going to look for a new card after payday.  ;D

The flavour I used was Freespire - the wireless worked instantly. Although it is KDE based not Gnome.

Sorry Tringle, I've been a bit unclear in my post. The Thinkpad has an old D Link PCMCIA card installed. It will work but only give me WEP and my router is set to WPA2 I think I've come up with a work around but I haven't tested it yet. If it doesn't work I can pick up a newer card for about $20 Cdn.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

anglefire

I'm annoyed.  

Actually, I'm really annoyed. And, to be fair, Peed off.

Did I say I was annoyed?

Took car, which I've had for a couple of months for an MOT and to get the EPB (Electronic Parking Brake) sorted as it has squealed a couple of times.

It failed the MOT. And the EPB squeals like a banshee now.

And then then told me it was over £400 to repair it to get it through the MOT.  

So they are looking into that one. Especially as there was an advisory last year for something to do with the ball joints. And it had a 100+ Pre-delivery inspection.

If they think I'm paying for that, they can think again. They'll be some serious beatings  going on.

I'll see them in court first.

DId I Mention that I'm annoyed?      
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

picsfor

Sorry not quite clear on that Mark - has something annoyed you?  ::)

You're right to go and chase them - especially as they pointed it out last year!

Just Dave

Hi

Mark if your up my way way my youngest son is a Mechanic, he'll do it cheap for you, and take it for MOT, his garage sales  website Clicky Linky if your near us
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

anglefire

Thanks Dave, I'm not up that way too often - but I'll bare it in mind. Land Rover prices are a laugh.

Also different branches quote different prices for the same job - Cam belts and the 105K service is anything from £550 to £900. Some say its a body off job (Yes really!), other not.

But the dealer will be paying for it. I will take them to court if needs be!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hybridphotog

What annoyed me yesterday? Windows! Some background information first...

I've got a little chunk of money coming my way soon (with any luck), so I'm planning to build another PC (dual core, 22" LCD TV, etc... oh yes!). My current setup is with an Abit KG-7 "lite" motherboard and, although the system was overdesigned (originally planned to have a 2 year lifespan, and to be overclocked to f*ck), it's showing its age.

(I've just had a look for KG-7 reviews. Those things are dated 2001! This PC's nearly 9 years old!?)

The plan is, upgrade bits slowly. And first on my list was a new drive setup. My style of building is "Have as little legacy hardware as possible". So, the new drive would have to be SATA. So, it is one... and a rather large Western Digital Caviar one, as well. And my current motherboard never knew what SATA was when it was being made. So, in the meantime, I have to use a controller card for this new drive.

... and the controller card has a VIA chipset on it... sadly.

As my old drives were slowly failing, the plan was to use that sole WD SATA drive. But no joy with that, as the drive isn't seen at POST, as it's connected to a controller card that requires drivers for it to be used.

*ahem*...  :)

My gripe... ready..?

Yesterday, for the second time, Windows decides to lock-up whilst writing to the SATA drive. I could only hit the reset button. Upon restarting, the SATA drive vanished, and the controller card showed "cannot start". Sticking the controller into other PCI slots didn't work. Updating the controller drivers didn't work (even doing the old rename trick). "Safe mode" wouldn't show the drive, nor was there multiple devices in the device manager.

On the off-chance, I rebooted with a Linux Live CD. Lo and behold, the drive is fully functional. A quick check of the partitions ("ntfsfix"), the drive is behaving normally. Reboot back into Windows, Windows says "What's the problem? The drive's there, just as it has been all along!"

This is Windows XP. This also happened in Windows 7. And at first, I thought it was just Windows 7 playing up.
>:(

Linux is beckoning me back...

spinner

Quote from: Hybridphotog on June 18, 2010, 12:14:01 PM

This is Windows XP. This also happened in Windows 7. And at first, I thought it was just Windows 7 playing up.
>:(

Linux is beckoning me back...

Try Mint, I'm using it on a couple of machines right now. Mint 9's the latest but I've found that if you install with Gnome it has a huge memory leak that everyone seems to know about but nobody's fixed. So I'm using Mint 8 with Gnome on one and Mint 9 with Lxde with no problems. It's got all the 'proprietary' stuff included that Cannonical won't.
Ol' blue eyes

spinner

WAMT? Arthritis  :(. Had the dogs out for a walk yesterday, they got overexcited and twisted me up in their leads. I stumbled and must have come down hard on my arthritic foot now it feels like it's broken. Can't hardly walk anywhere. Yesterday was my birthday and we had to cancel our plans because I couldn't walk 2 feet without excruciating pain. Only slightly improved today, I can walk 4 feet.  :'(
Ol' blue eyes

Hinfrance

Sorry to hear that Spin, hope you are back on both feet very soon.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Hybridphotog

Quote from: spinner on June 18, 2010, 01:35:05 PM
WAMT? Arthritis  :(. Had the dogs out for a walk yesterday, they got overexcited and twisted me up in their leads. I stumbled and must have come down hard on my arthritic foot now it feels like it's broken. Can't hardly walk anywhere. Yesterday was my birthday and we had to cancel our plans because I couldn't walk 2 feet without excruciating pain. Only slightly improved today, I can walk 4 feet.  :'(
Hopefully your recovery doubles each day. :)

spinner

Thanks people, as I said to a friend who hinted that she thought it was dumb thing to do, it was better than the option which was a face plant onto someones ashphalt drive..  ;D
Ol' blue eyes

picsfor

Hope normal mobility returns soon.
Nothing worse than pain and incapacity.

skellum

My A3+ Printer finally gave up today. I have had it in bits, cleaned the head and anything around it but now its worse than before..... :'(......So I will now have to get another ASAP.. :(

skellum

Looks like I am going for The Epson R1900....The same spec as my broken R1800 but with different ink cartridges.  They know how to make money these printer manufactures... :(

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.