• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 40
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 16
  • Total: 16
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Chat for weekly comp - Droplets - 28th Dec - 3rd Jan

Started by oRGie, December 26, 2009, 11:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oRGie

Zenmer, thats a lovely photo :)

Mick, I was using the dripping tap method lol, but I was trying to catch the bounce, first in the washing up bowl and then on a baking tray, but my tap is one of those swan neck types and is too low to have enough force to make a good splash :)  Love the shots, must give catching a falling drop a try too :)

Bones, sadly I cheated  :D  1 raw with different colour temps, blended and masked.. I did use a gold reflector, but for the blue I just cooled it down a lot. Thats why I wouldnt enter it. If I could actually get that with lighting I would be over the moon  :beer:

oRGie

Todays attempts are getting better, got more height by using the shower this time  :tup:  still a ways to go to get this subject as I had imagined I would, but got some pleasing images to me anyway and no photoshoppery this time apart from a bit of sharpening, contrast and crop adjustments.

Tripod, 1/160 F14 off cam flash 430ex at 50% power + popup, remote release, manual focus (not nailed it as I would like yet), gold reflector and black plastic bag in various ways, about 1 meter drop.

wendoureecat

oRGie

Quote from: wendoureecat on January 01, 2010, 10:02:52 AM
Love the colouring in the third one orgie

Thanks, that was a gold reflector underneath a glass baking tray :)

wendoureecat

Just realised what that shot reminds me of.........liquid amber  ;D

oRGie

Droplets on my mind lol, hopefully this is a sign of spring coming..

Oldboy

This is my reject as I've gone with the frozen droplets instead.  ;D

Drops:

Click for bigger size.

oRGie

Thats gorgeous Andy, but I think you chose well, your entry is stunning  :tup:

Howard, I like the watermark you used for the background, also a lovely shot. I'm with you on needing a macro lens

Well so far some amazing shots in this week  :beer:

Hinfrance

Quote from: oRGie on January 03, 2010, 06:13:31 PM

Howard, I like the watermark you used for the background, also a lovely shot. I'm with you on needing a macro lens

There is indeed a watermark background, embedded at 2% opacity. Bottom line, if this is clearly visible without applying any adjustments to the image then might I be so bold as to suggest that some monitor calibration chez oRGie is pretty much essential.  ;)

You should be able to discern all of the graduations in this greyscale with even changes between each division. Although because it's been compressed a second time the darker three (XYZ) are less distinct than in the original chart.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jimthetrain

Spent about ten minutes trying some more out. Here's a couple of rejects. If I can improve on my entry then it may change.

BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

stevebedder

Been trying to get something for this weeks comp but have to admit that I'm strugling to get a decent shot! Not quite sure where I'm going wrong.

Camera is on tripod with remote release, off camera flash (tried in various positions) with a baking tray of water and dripping water in by hand from a bottle\jug from between 1 to 2 feet high.

Most have been between f/10 & f/16 with a shutter speed of 1/250 but have also used 1/20 which seemed to help. Focus is set to manual and used a prop to set the focus of where the water drops would be.

I've read through plenty of blogs, tips etc but just can't seem to get anything I'm happy with.

Will see if I can get a shot before close of play tomorrow but I doubt it will compete with some of the stunning entries already posted.

Steve

jimthetrain

Steve, I'm doing mine on a monopod with on camera flash,manual focus,250th sec,f7.1 and 800 iso. It's all about timing.The shutter is set for one shot due to the recycling time of the cameras flash. Can't be bothered with the speedlite.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

bones615

Quote from: stevebedder on January 03, 2010, 07:30:10 PM
Been trying to get something for this weeks comp but have to admit that I'm strugling to get a decent shot! Not quite sure where I'm going wrong.

Camera is on tripod with remote release, off camera flash (tried in various positions) with a baking tray of water and dripping water in by hand from a bottle\jug from between 1 to 2 feet high.

Most have been between f/10 & f/16 with a shutter speed of 1/250 but have also used 1/20 which seemed to help. Focus is set to manual and used a prop to set the focus of where the water drops would be.

I've read through plenty of blogs, tips etc but just can't seem to get anything I'm happy with.

Will see if I can get a shot before close of play tomorrow but I doubt it will compete with some of the stunning entries already posted.

Steve

Have you turned the light in the room off & the flash power down, I read that it will give a shorter flash duration, stopping motion.

alan1572

i have to say that although my efforts won't win any gold stars, a combination of getting a new lens and a curiosity to see the results, i have actually gone out of my way to have a go at this comp, i set up a carboard box, a tripod with a couple of different vessels filled with milk/water/fruit juice and tried it with a torch light passing thru a bottle of Rosa Faustino Rioja, assisted by a less than enthusiastic wife and slightly less so daughter i have taken about 1000 shots and only have about 12 to show for it, bad light stopped play in the end, i even brought in a lamp from the conservatory (wife not happy) but just couldn't get the shutter speed. I will have another go at this next week.
milk

dropping olive oil onto milk

water/wine

Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

irv_b

I'm also struggling like hell to get something decent enough to post   :(  My problem seems to be getting the focus in the correct place even though It in manual and pre-focus - AAAAaaargh  who  :( came up with this subject  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.