• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 46
  • Total: 46
  • Google
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

The 'Nearly Ones'

Started by ABERS, November 05, 2014, 08:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

We all have a poke at the ones that make it to the Taylor-Wessing portrait competition each year, and now apparently there is an exhibition of some of those that didn't make it.  :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-29878480

It's a bit like the old joke, First prize A week in Skegness, Second prize two weeks in Skegness! :legit:

Graham

"Emma Taylor notes that the judges had to follow their "gut instincts" when selecting images, due to limited time to assess each entry, though she feels that "there's something rather liberating about this, something pure"."

Or    "We had a quick flick through and pulled a few out"!   :legit:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

jinky

Wow - those are ordinary in the extreme!

Yes it does read like a "pull out the bag" justification. I was thinking of entering next year when I saw you had to pay so they make a good profit too!

Graham

I quite like the first one and the soldier in front of the boat. The last one is very "Taylor Wessing" though.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

DigiDiva

The couple sitting on the bed, for me, is very interesting and tells a story. Are they arguing. Is he suffering from impotency? Did they? Didn't they? Is it an illicit tryst?
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Reinardina

Quote from: DigiDiva on November 05, 2014, 11:35:47 PM
The couple sitting on the bed, for me, is very interesting and tells a story. Are they arguing. Is he suffering from impotency? Did they? Didn't they? Is it an illicit tryst?

None of the above, I would think, for various, quite obvious (to me anyway). reasons.
They're just sitting there, frozen, without any feeling or passion, as if their budding photographer son or daughter, wanted them to pose for a 'daring' photograph, and this is as far as Mum and Dad are prepared to go.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

DigiDiva

Thats what I love about photography - the stories a good photo can tell
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on November 06, 2014, 08:29:28 AM

None of the above, I would think, for various, quite obvious (to me anyway). reasons.
They're just sitting there, frozen, without any feeling or passion, as if their budding photographer son or daughter, wanted them to pose for a 'daring' photograph, and this is as far as Mum and Dad are prepared to go.

I think DD's right. It could be any of those reasons or none of them at all. I think they are waiting for the neighbours to appear so they can flash them!  :o

jinky

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on November 12, 2014, 12:07:32 PM
And the winner is....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30001721

Eat your heart out!

The winner said, "Everyone was a bit hazy from the previous day's excess. My girlfriend passed our son to the subdued revellers on the sofa – the composition and back light was so perfect I had to capture the moment." So if you want to win this prize, get drunk the night before, get up hungover, grab camera and take a series of photos. Sober up and realize you've captured great light by luck.  :uglystupid2:

jinky

Quote from: Oldboy on November 12, 2014, 09:42:54 PM
Quote from: jinky on November 12, 2014, 12:07:32 PM
And the winner is....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30001721

Eat your heart out!

The winner said, "Everyone was a bit hazy from the previous day's excess. My girlfriend passed our son to the subdued revellers on the sofa – the composition and back light was so perfect I had to capture the moment." So if you want to win this prize, get drunk the night before, get up hungover, grab camera and take a series of photos. Sober up and realize you've captured great light by luck.  :uglystupid2:

Is it great lighting ? Is it backlit - thought that was a wall behind them. Maybe I don`t understand the concept of backlight - or indeed of composition / use of colour looking at this image. Beats me!

Reinardina

And they haven't even tidied up. If social services get hold of this picture, the baby will be taken into care.
(Especially if the haze is cigarette - or worse - smoke.)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.