• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 28
  • Total: 28
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Red Ring of Death

Started by alan1572, June 04, 2010, 08:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan1572

after 3.5 years of very light use my xbox gave me the RROD.
So as I'm to tight to buy a new one or give MS £90 to fix it I've spent £4 on ebay and I'm going to try and fix it myself, i have bought the kit and watched about 15 videos on youtube and I'm ready to go....don't hold out much hope but you never know.
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Hinfrance

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, but wish you every success with your repair efforts.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

bones615

Good luck Alan, been there done that & it did not last many hours before the RROD came back. Very frustrating that its a widely known problem and M$ did very little to help although I think the newer models are supposedly better. My kids are on thier 3rd Xbox, 1st one died within warranty and was repaired/replaced 2nd one I tried & failed to repair 3rd one is the newer model & still going. It does get a LOT of use and keeps the kids amused.

Simon

jimthetrain

Ours went last year but I decided to buy a new one instead. Looked at the videos And still have the old one in a box incase I feel like trying to fix it. was going to get a ps3 but the lads have so many xbox games it wasn't worth it. Good luck with the fix.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Mick

Quote from: alan1572 on June 04, 2010, 08:15:34 PM
after 3.5 years of very light use my xbox gave me the RROD.

So as I'm to tight to buy a new one or give MS £90 to fix it

Trouble is Alan, if it's over three years old it has the old chipset, and they are prone to breaking down on a regular basis.  I've had my sons Xbox elite repaired three times, and got so fed up with it costing £50 each time.  The motherboard flexes as it cools down / heats up etc and the processor breaks away from the solder.  A few months ago it broke down for the last time.  ;)

Decided to replace it with a Xbox arcade version, and to be honest that's the best way to go if you already have the hard drive from your existing one.  This also has the jasper chipset which runs cooler uses less power, and has a smaller power supply.  Apart from the colour and no hardrive it is identical to the elite.

We paid £129.99 with a free spare wireless elite controller and two games.  Same deal is still on, but I think it's now gone up to £139.00  from Argos. 

Good luck with the repair though. ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

alan1572

ah well, it didn't work.....my wife is still amused that i tried to fix it.
i think i'll go for the elite and transfer the data from the HD to the new one.
it sounds like once your xbox is past 3 years you are better off replacing the x clamps in case ;)

Just Dave

Quote from: Tringle WP on June 04, 2010, 09:00:06 PM
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, but wish you every success with your repair efforts.

Me either, what does RROD mean some sort of error
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

alan1572

indeed it is an error, the red ring of death (rrod) is an e74 error....don't know what it means thou :-\

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.