• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 47
  • Total: 47
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Dead Drive

Started by bones615, January 29, 2011, 05:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bones615

The dear wife managed to knock my old external hard drive off the desk (my fault obviously for leaving the cable where she could trip on it). Connectors on the back for tv are shot, power connecter? no strange noises. Ive powered it up via usb and it worked for a couple of minutes, wiggled power & it worked for a couple of minutes. Question is should i put the 3.5" drive in my computer as a slave to see if it will go, will it cock anything else up? can i mix NTFS (main) & Fat32 drives? Nothing of any great importance on there & its only 160gb but extra gb's always handy.

Simon

Skhilled

If it has serial or sata connections in the back of it and your PC supports it then yes, you can install it internally without any problems...providing you have the necessary cables.

Whether it's NTFS or fat32 shouldn't be an issue as it's only a slave. I have 2 slaves myself. ;)
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

Mick

Or you could buy a external hard drive enclosure for about £20 and stick it in there.   ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Skhilled

Hmmm, I didn't know you could buy cases. LOL
Nikon D3000

Mick

Quote from: Skhilled on January 29, 2011, 09:06:50 PM
Hmmm, I didn't know you could buy cases. LOL

I've got one here, it's been very handy.  Enclosures

I've used it to recover files from old clunky drives which wont boot a PC.  Saved my life a couple of times.  Plus you can use all your old drives and use them for backup.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Skhilled

Ah! Now I remember seeing them in the stores. I never thought I'd need one but with all of the old drives I've got lying about who knows? I'm sure I've got a 20mb drive lying about. ..yes 20 megabytes! LOL
Nikon D3000

bones615

Thanks guys, this was in a media player enclosure with remote for watching things on tv  ;)
I think it will be replaced with one of these.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Micro-Media-Player/dp/B0030DL3SC/ref=pd_cp_ce_1
So I am about to put this drive in my pc.

Simon

jeza

Bones have you considered getting rid of your wife. Save on wear and tear on your important stuff.
Just a thought.
:dance:

Skhilled

LOL! Hmmm, don't get me started...
Nikon D3000

bones615

The thought had crossed my mind (regularly), but it would be a toss up as to weather i would starve first or run out of clean clothes.

Simon

bones615

Update
1st reboot after installation = blue screen, tried again and everything seems fine, all files are still there and my weary old pc should be good for a bit longer.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.