• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 97
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 102
  • Total: 102
millets
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Quote from: Reinardina on May 28, 2014, 01:01:14 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on May 28, 2014, 09:13:03 AM
Quote from: Reinardina on May 28, 2014, 08:22:58 AM
Laptop screen turns black when plugged in. Had the same problem last year, and it took JL ten days to sort it. Can only work on battery.
Still within the two year guarantee, thank goodness.
Had numerous problems, and it's always been blamed on software issues.

I'll never buy a Lenovo again! Never had any problems with my Toshiba's.

Is it too late now, to hand it back as 'not fit for purpose'? It's approximately 18 months old.

If it's the same laptop as last year, then you have allowed them to repair it once and it failed again with the same problem, you could say it isn't fit for purpose. Speak to CAB as they know all about the Sale of Goods Act. Lenovo took over the IBM computer brand and nobody ever got sacked for buying IBM computers.  ;)

It was the IBM name that decided it for me, but it was probably assembled on a Monday by staff with hangovers.

One further issue to consider when talking about Lenovo. The people you buy the computer off, do not hold the warranty claim for the product - which I believe is a breach of UK sales law.

Example - if you buy a Lenovo from PC World and it goes wrong, the problem has to be dealt with by Lenovo. You might take it back to PC World, but they will only act as a third party liaising with Lenovo. Lenovo do not do their own reparis either. They send their stuff to Medion (yes the people who provide rather nice computers at a good price) and get them to effect the repairs.

I know all this because I learned about Lenovo the hard way, and like Reinarda recommended them because of the IBM link.

Since learning how they operate, I would advise all people to steer well clear of them. Their support team are next to useless and if you point out their obligations under the sales of goods act etc, they classify you as a trouble maker and all round rude person, who goes to the bottom of their list in their records. I know because one of them was stupid to say to me, "oh your that person who was rude the last time you called and kept asking for your legal entitlement - our support analyst was deeply upset by your call".

All I had asked for was clarification over who was liable for a computer that was unable to perform the duties it was sold for and advertised as being fit for - PCWorld or Lenovo...

Lenovo = Chinese Company which seems to adopt a Chinese governement attitude of the Chinese way is the only way that will be accepted and spoken about.
No offence to ordinary Chinese people, of which my wife is one...
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Reinardina

Thanks for that Andrew.

JL is normally very good, so fingers crossed.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

I played with the RawDroid demo - excellent, so I laid out my €3.77 for the 'pro' version. I've tried it with my Pentax and Panasonic cameras. I shall only use it on my hols, but worth the small outlay. I also laid out £6 on Amazon for one of the multiple input OTG devices so I can also use a mouse and keyboard with the fondleslab if the mood takes me.

As for Andrew's projected future . . . let's just say using a 10 inch or smaller touch screen to edit doesn't float my boat. Re storage, on most Android tablets it is already infinity: just put another SD card in the slot.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Hinfrance

UK law is clear Re, the retailer is responsible. Your case is complicated by the fact that you have previously accepted a repair, but legalities and practicalities are not the same, and your retailer might very well go the extra mile with customer service.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

donoreo

Quote from: Reinardina on May 28, 2014, 01:01:14 PM
It was the IBM name that decided it for me, but it was probably assembled on a Monday by staff with hangovers.
Lenovo made IBM laptops and desktops for IBM for years before they bought the whole business.  The first thing they did when they rebranded the laptops was change the power supply.  IBM ThinkPads had used the same power connector for a decade.  Lenovo changed the plug. I am typing this on a T420s ThinkPad at work (slow as hell running XP, the drivers barely work) and have a cheap Lenovo at home that I actually purchased as a refurbished unit.  You can never go wrong with the T series, but they are more expensive and business oriented. 

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on May 28, 2014, 01:52:05 PM
UK law is clear Re, the retailer is responsible. Your case is complicated by the fact that you have previously accepted a repair, but legalities and practicalities are not the same, and your retailer might very well go the extra mile with customer service.

The machine has been back more than once; sometimes they managed to solve the problem there and then, after a while.
I'd never have thought, of not accepting a repair, as I thought you have to give them a chance to put things right in the first place.

jinky

I think you`d be extremely lucky to get the shop to agree to a goods rejection after 18 months of use. I remember reading somewhere that up to 6 months the onus is on the shop to prove the fault was not present at time of purchase but after that it reverts to the consumer. List every time the machine has been in and ask pointblank for a new replacement if the list is long and you never know your luck. Only deal wit the manager and if they won`t move ask for details / address of higher and write cataloguing the list

Hinfrance

The law is daft on repairs Re. It seems only reasonable to allow a supplier to make a minor repair, but by doing so you can be deemed to have accepted the item, unless you specifically reserve your right, in writing, to reject it subsequently. I went through this with a new car, that I did in the end manage to successfully reject

As jinky says, 18 months is probably too late for a full refund, but try being nice to them and see what you can get. Being polite and calm will always get you better results than going for the jugular (well, it's a good first contact strategy at least ;) ). If you get the staff on your side the sky is the limit.

Here in La Belle we are quite envious of UK consumer law. Our version is more like "so it's rubbish? - well you bought it, it's your fault, go away or I will taunt you another time".
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

I very much doubt I'll get anywhere at all, and will probably be happy if they can repair it. And if it goes again, dump it, and get a new one. But never a Lenovo again.

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on May 28, 2014, 04:25:25 PM

The machine has been back more than once; sometimes they managed to solve the problem there and then, after a while.
I'd never have thought, of not accepting a repair, as I thought you have to give them a chance to put things right in the first place.

The more times they tried to fix it and failed the more power you have to reject it. A laptop would be expected to last six years at least. If you have all the documents to prove this then you should be home and dry. Speak with the consumer people at your local Citizens Advice Bureau or even your local trading standards department. As a last resort don't forget the small claims court.  :tup:

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on May 28, 2014, 05:57:04 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on May 28, 2014, 04:25:25 PM

The more times they tried to fix it and failed the more power you have to reject it. A laptop would be expected to last six years at least. If you have all the documents to prove this then you should be home and dry. Speak with the consumer people at your local Citizens Advice Bureau or even your local trading standards department. As a last resort don't forget the small claims court.  :tup:

Only have one 'official' repair note, that was for the same problem I have now. The other things were probably minor problems they fixed in their own technical department, while I was asked to come back later. If I had any computer knowledge, I might have been able to fix some of them myself, but I haven't a clue.

jinky

Quote from: Hinfrance on May 28, 2014, 05:58:25 AM
Quote from: DigiDiva on May 27, 2014, 09:01:12 PM
No USB spot

So you have a Galaxy 1 or 2? No problem, there is a 30 pin all purpose connector, just get something like one of THESE. AFAK you can only view jpgs, so just shoot RAW+jpg and copy the jpgs to the expansion micro SD card.

Jinky - you can get leads with the 'right' connectors, but caution is required as some of them won't allow the tablet to act as host for file transfer.

As for lugging a tablet around, for me that's a no no. I will take it on holiday with me for internet and maybe look at photos then, but otherwise I stick to the camera body and maybe one extra lens in a coat pocket. It's all I want to be occupied with when I'm trying to take pictures. Taking a camera bag is something I do so rarely my bag is sitting in a corner covered in dust.

You lot are such a bad influence! I`ve not only just bought a lead to plug my card reader into and then plug into my nexus but also bought my first paid for app to make them work together to see what all this checking shots as you go is all about. I`ve only outlaid £5 so can risk a failure on it but all state they work with my nexus.  :dance:

Alfonso_Frisk

Me
Im annoyed and upset with myself.
On my trip to the moors today I came across a large rabbit which was obviously suffering from a bad case of Myxiomatosis (  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis )
I did not have my rifle with me to put it out of its misery so approached it with a large wrench. Sadly I could not do the deed and walked away.  :(
I returned 5 mins later in the car and ran it over  :-[
Despite stopping its suffering I still feel bad. :-\
Strange thing is, on a normal day and a healthy rabbit, if I had shot it and wounded it then I would have had no issues finishing it off  :(
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Oldboy

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on May 30, 2014, 06:38:29 PM
Me
On my trip to the moors today I came across a large rabbit which was obviously suffering from a bad case of Myxiomatosis (  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis )
I did not have my rifle with me to put it out of its misery so approached it with a large wrench. Sadly I could not do the deed and walked away.  :(
Strange thing is, on a normal day and a healthy rabbit, if I had shot it and wounded it then I would have had no issues finishing it off  :(

I thought you had to hand back your rifle after completing National Service?  :P :D :2funny:

donoreo

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on May 30, 2014, 06:38:29 PM
Me
You do not feel sorry for a healthy rabbit.  You knew this one was suffering. 

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.