• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 53
  • Total: 53
  • Google
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Print Module problems - again!

Started by Hinfrance, September 02, 2013, 03:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

OK, I am trying to print an image 5cm x 4cm

When I try to do this in LR4.4, this is the absurd result:

Note that the paper size is 10x15 so my new cell size of 5cm x4cm should take up roughly half the sheet - instead of which is it a tiny picture in one corner.

Does anyone know how to get LR's print module to actually do anything it's told to - ie anything useful?

This kind of problem is why I always use Qimage by default ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Howard,

A 20 sq. cm picture on a 150 sq.cms paper doesn't equate to 50%, it's 30%.

I think your settings in the print module are somewhat awry.

To print a 5cmX4cms image on a 10cmX15cm paper do the following in the print module.

First set the paper size, see bottom left hand corner, on the pop up menu  see paper size, pop up again set size to 10x15 cms (4x6 ins), choose portrait or L/scape. Looking at your image I think it's landscape.

Next on righthand column select Cell size, dial in 4cms in the height and 5cms in the width, press enter and hey presto you can see how it will look when printed. If you want the image to fill 50% of the sheet dial in 8 for the height and 10 for the width, or vary the sliders until you get what size you think suits.

I'm not too sure where you've got the page you illustrated in your post from, perhaps it's from the very top of the righthand column. Make sure you've got the Single Image/Contact Sheet highlighted.

Hope this sorts it out for you. ;)

My lightroom always does what it's told, all it needs is a firm hand. 8)

Hinfrance

Well, you are right Alan, if I use the page setup menu on the bottom right the page size shows as 22x28 cm. You have to admit that is rather a long way off of the 4x6 10x15cm shown in the top left of the screenshot. So, basically, when the print setup screen says the paper is one size it could in fact be anything. I have, in fact, never used 22x28cm, so I have no idea where LR got that from.

Having changed the paper size to 10x15cm the preview is now correct, but the paper size shown on the layout screen is still showing the same as it did before, although it is now correct. If, however, I then chose another LR preset the paper size shown on the layout screen remains as it was, but the paper size reported in the page setup menu reverts to 22x28cm, or sometimes something else. Frankly it's rubbish, it's not doing what it's told, it's making it up as it goes along :knuppel2:

I have come to appreciate the basic editing that LR can do, albeit generally much more slowly than Aftershot Pro, but it is capable of being much more flexible, and it is a brilliant organiser. The Print Module for me remains unacceptably poor; very difficult to use, slow, erratic, and not producing prints as good and accurate as Qimage

Thanks again Alan for setting me on the right path with this mess of an interface; alas it seems that every time I decide to give it another try it does something that makes me want to tear my hair out.

I did the prints with Qimage. It took less than a minute.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Strange goings on. I can't recognise any of the problems you seem to encounter. I'm not too sure what you consider is fast or slow, since I don't have deadlines to meet, Lroom serves me well.

Chacun a son gout. (;-)

Hinfrance

Fast or slow are just relative Alan. LR does the job (except printing!), it's just that there are other applications that do some of the same tasks much more quickly.

Getting a new PC with better insides helped a lot with LR - I guess my old machine was just too old and creaky to run it properly.

As an overall package I would definitely recommend LR over the other choices; it's just that I do have a few options available to me for certain tasks and I tend to subcontract them from LR from time to time. ;)

Thanks again for your help on this - at least I can get the paper size right now.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

ABERS

I've been trying to replicate the setting that you've shown in the screen grab and can't.

How did you get that page on your screen?

Hinfrance

Alan, here's what I do, and the results are always the same:

1. select an image in the library grid view
2. go to the print module
3. click page setup and change the paper size to 4x6 10x15
4. chose the first or second lightroom template ie 1)4x6
5. paper size changes back to 22x28

Happens every time. The key, as recommended by you, is to change the paper size after the template has been selected and not before.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

ABERS

I think I can see what's happening and where we go about it in a different way.

I never use the templates function, only if I want multiple images on one page.

In the Library mode make sure in the top line on the left, Navigator, the 'fit' option is highlighted.

And then proceed in the way I showed in my first reply.

Seeif that works for you.

Hinfrance

Thanks Alan. I know what it's doing; for some reason the paper size is embedded in the preset, which is stupid IMHO, but that wouldn't matter if the paper size change that comes with selecting the preset actually showed on the screen, but it doesn't. On this occasion I did want more than one picture on the page.

Anyway, now we know.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.