• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 64
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 33
  • Total: 33
parkcameras
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

In simple my view is based on common decency. 

It is not that i will only share my pictures in return for money, i just believe it is right to be asked and accordingly credited as the author of 'source' material (sometimes the request may be for someone to modify image to quite an extent as part of a project). :knuppel2:

With regards any one who makes money from the sale and distribution of material produced by others, then for me, it is a given that some of the money must trickle down to the author unless the author waives such rights (eg for charity).

My mate makes a reasonable amount from letting Getti have access to his stuff on Flickr - and he is happy with the arrangement. I've had some of my stuff posted on various forums with only accreditation under the image - and i was fine with that. I've also had stuff published and made some money from it, along with shooting some weddings and similar events in the past.

Maybe i'm too principled for my own good - i lost a job because i refused to work with pirated software - and walked straight into another job because i refused to work with pirated software, so it just shows that this is not a new phenomenon and the views are 'evenly spread'.

It may also be why i no longer post loads of stuff on the web. I know there is no 'physical' way of stopping an item on the web being pirated - i proved that in a previous job.
I'm happy with 500px, CC & Twitter and am trying to learn how to use Wordpress properly to create a blog.

I've tried Canon Rumors, Fuji Rumors, ePhotozine, Talk Photography, DP, Ameteur Photographer and a raft of strobe groups - and they all end up with a usual bunch of muppets getting in and ruining things - CC does me fine thank you, still has the personal touch and friendly atmosphere. 500px has about 20 pics on it in about 2 years (i think) and if i want to get a pic out to Joe Public for a bit of ego massaging i've always got Twitter.

Maybe, once i get the Wordpress thing going, i can post articles explaining my thoughts in small chunks  :tup:
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Hinfrance

I don't think your principals are wrong Andrew, especially with regard to pirated software . .  although . . do you think that Photoshop would be as popular had it not been so widely pirated? Before it went onto the cloud - a very good reason to never touch it again - a pukka version in France was more than €1000. It's like paying £60,000 to fill the tank of a Mondeo. Insanely overpriced. The fact is that 'pirating' is often a much better route to 'try before you buy' for lots of software, and that's where many sales come from. I would never pay more than $150 for any software, and for one trick ponies I will not pay more than $25.

I'm afraid it's not one of those issues that is black and white, either morally or commercially. It has been established for some time that the individuals who 'pirate' music and films actually spend far more than the population at large on legitimate purchases. The head of HBO said recently, bracketing his remarks with 'I shouldn't be saying this really', that the volume of torrent downloads of his TV series (he was referring to Game of Thrones specifically) had done the DVD sales no harm at all - many who watch it in lower definition mkvs go out and buy the boxed sets. Of course, in the USA the prices of the legitimate copies of both media and software is far lower than it is in Europe. Gangnam Style made most of it's revenue from Youtube views, free to the end user. In short, the old, and indeed current business model and law on copyright, is dysfunctional and does not deal with the world as it is, only as it used to be, or more correctly as the RIAA and old media industries would like it to be.

Posting images on the web is a bit like opening the front door of your house and putting up a big sign saying 'help yourself'. Most don't, of course, but many do. It is, of course, rather different for those among you who actually sell images; but for me it's not an issue. I do it for fun and I am not precious about it. But if I were to sell images (I know, fat chance :'( ) the ones I wanted to shift would not be on any forums or networking sites, that's certain.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 20, 2013, 08:32:13 AM
Before it went onto the cloud - a very good reason to never touch it again - 

Why do you say that Howard?

Hinfrance

More than £200 a year for a start. And you have to keep paying, forever. Otherwise, although you may have the psd files in your local data storage you won't be able to do more than basic things to them, with other software. The idea that you could buy Photoshop and use it forever is gone. Not that I could ever justify the outrageous purchase price in the good old days, even if I had had the money, which I didn't and still don't.

Rent software and when you stop paying you own . .  nothing. Which at the very least ought to mean that renting was at a substantial discount to purchasing. With Adobe it's not. If anything it's more expensive than ever.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Hinfrance

I've split the Creative Cloud chat off into another thread - http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=3695.msg41793;topicseen#new,

So back to what made you feel good today :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

WillyP

Andrew

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 21, 2013, 08:44:13 AM
I've split the Creative Cloud chat off into another thread - http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=3695.msg41793;topicseen#new,

So back to what made you feel good today :tup:

Seeing Tom Baker reprise his role in Dr Who  :'(  made me lose 40 years off my life for a short spell  :dance:
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Hinfrance

My Mondeo. Especially the automatic heated windscreen. Melted the ice off of it this morning in less than a minute.  :tup:

So nice to have it back on the drive.  :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Jediboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on December 03, 2013, 07:20:57 PM
My Mondeo. Especially the automatic heated windscreen. Melted the ice off of it this morning in less than a minute.  :tup:

So nice to have it back on the drive.  :)

I can second that.  ;)
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Jediboy

I was fortunate enough to be voted in as a governor at my kids school.  :)
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Hinfrance

Quote from: Jediboy on December 03, 2013, 08:23:20 PM
I was fortunate enough to be voted in as a governor at my kids school.  :)

Congratulations!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

ABERS

A little sanity returning to the TV schedules. Great programme on Pilgrims yesterday evening. There are some shows worth watching to get away from minor celebrities and wannabees either dancing, cooking, doing something in the jungle, parading pathetically puerile so called talent on stage, appearing on inane quiz shows and generally plugging their latest books, records or tours on chat shows.

Mind you take that lot away and there is little else to entertain those that appreciate such dross.

The annoying thing is I really can't moan too much since I'm of an age when the TV licence comes free. >:(

donoreo

My new Mac is complete.  I installed the 16 GB or RAM this evening.  It is nice to not worry about closing extra tabs on my browser to free memory for Lightroom. 

Graham

Quote from: ABERS on December 04, 2013, 11:07:59 PM
A little sanity returning to the TV schedules. Great programme on Pilgrims yesterday evening. There are some shows worth watching to get away from minor celebrities and wannabees either dancing, cooking, doing something in the jungle, parading pathetically puerile so called talent on stage, appearing on inane quiz shows and generally plugging their latest books, records or tours on chat shows.

Mind you take that lot away and there is little else to entertain those that appreciate such dross.

The annoying thing is I really can't moan too much since I'm of an age when the TV licence comes free. >:(

I do find giving free TV licenses to very old people (like your good self Alan  :)) a little bit patronising*.
   It assumes you spend all day in front of the 'telly with your bag of Werthers Originals!...That is, of course, when you're not dragging your tartan shopping trolley full of cat food around the town center!  :knuppel2: :legit:

* I don't care what spellcheck says, I'm not spelling it with a "Z"!...Or "Zee" as I'm no doubt suposed to say it!

I feel a free TV license approaching.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

ABERS

Quote from: Graham on December 05, 2013, 06:53:46 AM

I do find giving free TV licenses to very old people (like your good self Alan  :)) a little bit patronising*.
   It assumes you spend all day in front of the 'telly with your bag of Werthers Originals!...That is, of course, when you're not dragging your tartan shopping trolley full of cat food around the town center!  :knuppel2: :legit:

Don't worry Graham, I don't feel in the least patronis(z)ed! We had a little jig when we discovered we were entitled to it, after all it took a very long time for the time to arrive when we were able to get something for nothing from H.M. government, having spent a whole life working and paying tax and being lucky enough to not have to make one single claim on the benefit system.

It wasn't until a friend reached the required age for the handout that we realised it was a perk that was availble to us of creaking joints and feeble minds. So we claimed and got 18 months back pay as well. :dance:

It does make up for the disappointment of discovering when retirement came around that income tax was payable on your state pension, which when taken into account means that all that paying in each month for 45+ years is worth almost nothing since HMRC gets 80% of it back in tax!  ???

Off now to spend our Winter fuel allowance on some sort of frippery. :tup: After all this is the WMYFGT thread. ;)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.