• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 47
  • Total: 47
Wish
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

Finally made a start on my self assessment tax return for 2011/12. I think shoving every receipt loose in a big box and banking on email receipts long buried in my in-box might not be the way to go in future!  :D

Hoping to post a healthy loss in my first year and get a tax rebate and refund of my NI contributions. Given the level I take up work between travelling and domestic crises requiring me to be up i Newcastle I am confident I will indeed never pay any tax on my photographic earnings. The hard part is getting values for my equipment taken into the business as capital allowances - especially high ones! Thank god for the HMRC courses I attended.

Sorry I`ve not been around for chat / comps. My mother remains in hospital and has been extremely ill over the last 4 weeks and I have spent at least 2.5 weeks up there out of touch. Finally seems to be improving and has been moved on to a rehabilitation ward after getting over a nasty infection that nearly did for her.

Sarasocke

That type of tax return sounds familiar, Paul  ::)

Sorry to hear about your mother, Paul. I hope things get better soon.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Reinardina

Glad your mother is getting over her infection Paul.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Pleased to hear that you mum is on the mend Paul.

The tax thing is nostalgic for me: I always made a point of spending more on instruments, sundry sound reinforcement kit and transport than I earned from playing in the band. I suppose it helped that the lead guitar player was an accountant ;) not to mention the best musician I have ever played with, but I digress. The revenue put up with the losses for a few years then told me that the pub band was a 'hobby' (which it was, but I got paid) and I shouldn't add the accounts to my tax return any more - they don't like it when they have to give something back  :D
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

He! He! H - that`s what I am aiming for I suppose given the level of work I want is just to fund gear and a few trips. ;)

nickt

Was up in Birmingham yesterday to see my son graduate. Very proud of him. Had a bit too much wine last night and my head is feeling it!

Oldboy

Quote from: nickt on July 10, 2012, 03:20:18 PM
Was up in Birmingham yesterday to see my son graduate. Very proud of him. Had a bit too much wine last night and my head is feeling it!

Did you have your passport with you, as we don't accept just anyone in Brum!  :knuppel2:

Well, it could have been the Town Hall, ICC or the NIA, unless it was Birmingham University when it would be the great hall. Bet you had a lump in your throat? Well done.  :tup:

nickt

You're correct Oldboy, it was at Birmingham Uni in the great hall. My daughter's at Nottingham with anothe two years to go.

Oldboy

Quote from: nickt on July 11, 2012, 09:08:56 PM
You're correct Oldboy, it was at Birmingham Uni in the great hall. My daughter's at Nottingham with anothe two years to go.

:tup: ;D

The other places are used by Aston University, University of Central England and the Open University.  ;)

jinky

Just got and loaded  new Adobe CS6. Seems like quite a leap from the CS2 I was using!!!! :D
I say "my" but of course my wife is just allowing me to use hers as she was able to buy an education package through her supply teacher status - so kind of her to let me use it ! ;) I hope she will be giving me training on how to use it and content aware feature especially. ;)

Hinfrance

I'm sure it's just the job :tup:

Of course I'm jealous as heck - CS Photoshop is one thing I'll never be able to afford unless Adobe see the error of their ways (as they did with Lightroom) or the lottery fairy smiles upon me ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Oh - dear! Nothing like a birthday and a few worries / concerns to start a spending spree. Just ordered a Black Rapid Double R strap so that whilst my coming wedding pictures might be crap i`ll at least look the part of a two camera gun slinging pro ;). Been getting real neck ache lately with my Nikon strap and as I`ll need to switch quickly thought this strap would be good as it goes down to 1 to make me less like an idiot when I don`t need two on. Mrs Jinky said use some of your birthday money and approved bless her - I think I`ve spend more than twice the birthday money income already  ;D. Cheered me up though!

Matthew

A day late but.......Had an old fella come up to me the other day in the Train Station as I was servicing the photobooths."Hello", he said.......So I said "Hello, can I help you with something?"....."No" he said "I noticed you working on the machines and thought I'd come over and say what a great job you're doing, I wish my engineers showed the same attention to detail as you do".....My mood lightened and we had a blether.....he used to work on the old ticket machines in Train Stations back in the day......that's the first time anyone has shown appreciation in what I do....was in a good mood the rest of the day.....
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Oldboy

Quote from: highlandscenics on July 12, 2012, 08:37:05 PM
A day late but.......Had an old fella come up to me the other day in the Train Station as I was servicing the photobooths."Hello", he said.......So I said "Hello, can I help you with something?"....."No" he said "I noticed you working on the machines and thought I'd come over and say what a great job you're doing, I wish my engineers showed the same attention to detail as you do".....My mood lightened and we had a blether.....he used to work on the old ticket machines in Train Stations back in the day......that's the first time anyone has shown appreciation in what I do....was in a good mood the rest of the day.....

Sounds like magic when someone notices what a good job you do.  :tup: :D

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on July 12, 2012, 07:23:43 PM
Oh - dear! Nothing like a birthday and a few worries / concerns to start a spending spree. Just ordered a Black Rapid Double R strap so that whilst my coming wedding pictures might be crap i`ll at least look the part of a two camera gun slinging pro ;). Been getting real neck ache lately with my Nikon strap and as I`ll need to switch quickly thought this strap would be good as it goes down to 1 to make me less like an idiot when I don`t need two on. Mrs Jinky said use some of your birthday money and approved bless her - I think I`ve spend more than twice the birthday money income already  ;D. Cheered me up though!

The photographer at my nephews wedding didn't do a good job, according to my brother and she charged £750 and only had a D300s.  :-[

Don't have a problem myself with the D3 plus Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 hung around my neck all day. The Nikon D3 needs to go in for a service along with the Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 VR. It appears the very wet summer has affected them!  :'(

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.