• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 50
  • Total: 50
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

5DII vs 7D

Started by oRGie, October 19, 2009, 04:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

all we need now is to be sure Martin can attend the Abers meet  :tup:

oRGie

looking at the iso 800 shots the difference in noise becomes pretty obvious  :doh:

oRGie

pricing is getting interesting, I just saw at wilkinson camera's (anyone dealt with them ?) have this offer

CANON EOS 7D & EF-S 15-85MM F3.5/5.6 IS - FREE CANON 580EX FLASH FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY £1999  :D

Now not that I want the kit and allready have a flash, but it sais a lot to me about where the pricing is headed.. wex have the seperate lens and camera listed for £50 cheaper than the kit price lol

My guess is it could go as low as 1200 for the camera and under 500 for the new 15-85, tbh doesnt inspire rushing out to buy one now  :legit:

On another note, i got to handle a 5DII today, I was quite suprised to find its more or less the same size as my 40D, last time I held a 5D I had a 400D and the 5D felt huge lol

picsfor

yes, i'd put the 5D MkII as similar in size to the 40D.

The menu system is similar as well - you would soon pick it up. Just need to read the manual re-differences.
Oddly enough much about both cameras is similar, until you come to performance - then i'm afraid you notice quite a difference between that Digic 3 Crop 10mp sensor and that Digic IV 21mp FF sensor.

oRGie

Jeez, after much soul searching and pondering I am finally starting to see through the hazy fog of equipment lust lol

I have been weighing up all the various alternative routes and trying to pin myself down as to what I really want and that is FF, there I said it lol..

Now To get there I need to upgrade lenses, so the money I was ear marking for the 7D body would nicely cover the cost of a 17-40 F4 L and 24-105 F4 L..  I realised that there is no good reason to sell my 40D right now and get a 7D as I would be using the same lenses and all i would achieve is bigger files, more or less same IQ and lots of funky new gadgets, video, wireless flash blah blah, none of which is going to give the same enjoyment as using those 2 L lenses even on my 40D.

So then a bit more saving and when the time is right I'll get a 5DII ....   Hows that sound for a plan ?   :legit:

picsfor

personally - that's what i would do - but then i would say that because that was the route it took.

17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f4 IS L with a 2x converter for good measure.
The 50mm f1.8 plastic fantastic also does extremely well on a FF although, as i have said, my 100 mm f2.8 macro suffers a bit under certain conditions.

MY first body was a 30D and then i bought a 40D for when i had to do a wedding (needed the redundancy). 40D was sold as part of the deal that allowed me to get the 5D MkII. 30D sits in its box already for appreciation by some one else - but the wife won't let me sell it until i can afford another 'spare' body that provides similar specs to the 5D MkII.

If you get a 17-40 L and 24-105L and do not notice a real difference in the quality of your images, then i would say that the 5D MkII would also be a waste. A real eye opener getting the 17-40 and 24-105.

oRGie

Thanks for the feedback  :beer:

Looking at 2nd hand 5DII's over here, there are a few for around 900 - 1500 euros, trying to get a nice condition one with box and bits and pieces for around 1000 and I've found a shop called hdew cameras with the 24-105 on special offer for 725 pounds :)

The camera's I'm looking at are on a portuguese 2nd stuff site so I can go and check the cameras before buying. Is there anything in particular with the 5DII that I need to watch for ?
(I will of course look for any sensor cleaning damage)

:legit:

picsfor

Those prices you are quoting are not for a 5D Mk II - no way. 5D maybe - but not a Mk II.

If they are genuine prices for a Mk II then i'd like to know what is wrong with them!

oRGie

The price is good eh ;)  Cheapest brand new I've seen so far is £1820..  I am talking with a lady that wanted 1350 euros but is close to accepting 1100 euros cash (£1000), (she just asked if my 1100 final offer was cash) it is a 5DII, with box and bits and pieces, even with some guarantee left as its minimum 2 years here in europe :)

Cheapest new kit price for 5DII and 24-105 I've seen is £2391, so if that hdew offer on the lens is genuine for £725 I will be quite a happy bunny lol

Is there a menu option to see the total shutter actuations on the 5DII ?

picsfor

i seem to remember reading something saying there is - i'll have to have a look for you - though i wouldn't be wanting one with any more than 30k actuations - given how new they are.

I'd ask to take some shots with it before parting with cash and walking out.

oRGie

Thanks..  Yeah i will ask for the battery to be charged when I see them so i can test it out before parting with cash :)

I may find there is something not right about some I have seen, I was also a little suprised to them so cheap allready  :o   I only stumbled on this looking for lenses, I'm still planning on sticking with the 40D for a while and start replacing lenses ready for a move to FF, so I'm not too fussed if a good body doesnt come along just yet.

oRGie

Apologies in advance, if your bored with my ramblings, hit the back button  :beer:

Well I have decided on a final route :)  I'm going to get a 17-40 and 24-105, no new camera body at the moment, then the 40D will be my point and shoot when I get a FF body sometime next year I guess.

As I have the 40D and sig 17-70 on a second hand site, if that sells I think I am going to just get a 50D to live with the 18-200is as second body, spare, point and shoot duties sort of thing once I get a FF body. In the meantime I can enjoy better glass with it..

Thanks for the feedback again, it has been very usefull and has hopefully set me on the right track to well spent spondoolies and a step up in my photography :)

picsfor

Nothing to apologise for.

If spending a week or two chatting here helps you crystalise where you want to go with your photography with best way to maximise the value of your hard earned pound or Euro when acquiring new kit
- then surely it has all been worth while.

I would recommend getting the 17-40 as your first lens if you don't have quite enough to get them together - really sharp lens and so useful for indoor shots such as those in a studio.

oRGie

ahem lol...  so after quite a succesfull time selling all my gear I now have no camera at all!!!!   most of the kit around 2 years old, so happy that I made a profit on my 10-20 siggy, broke even on camera & grip (thanks to buying in HK) & 17-70 :)

For various reasons of international borders and silly pricing, shipping problems, warranty worries and as the 50D is still quite expensive here I have decided to put my well earned beer tokens into a 7D body instead. So that will become my point and shoot lol when I get some EF lenses and a FF camera at some point :)

I'm expecting it to arrive sometime next week, fingers crossed, that can sometimes mean months at stores here, but I shall stay positive until mid next week, by then I will start to panic over the shots I have missed  :legit:

Then I can start to collect EF lenses one by one to be ready for when I can afford a FF body. I would never buy an EF-s lens again and I wish I had bitten the bullet and got EF the first time round, oh well live and learn I guess.. 

Now then, seeing as I only have one lens and a flashgun and some other bits and bobs holding me to canon, whats all this fuss over nikon, any good ?   :legit:
:beer:
:beer:

anglefire

I only bought 1 EFs lens - and that was the excellent EF-s 60mm Macro - and it was bought purely on cost grounds - the 100mm was a fair bit more. Of course, I now wish that I had gone for it!

From when I first got my 350D, I knew that I would want to go full frame at some point - or at least give me the option of doing so if I so wished. Except the macro lens - which now lives on the 350D.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.