• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 57
  • Total: 57
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Rasta Portrait

Started by Just Dave, August 27, 2010, 06:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Dave

Hi

A candid from our day at the Big Drum Day, Astley Hall Walled Garden Astley Park Chorley Lancashire, C+C Welcome Thanks for looking

Exif Canon 400D, 1/500 Sec, F5.6, ISO 800, Focal Length 55mm

Dave
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

ABERS

Great picture. Would make a great mono. ;)

krennon

Agree with Abers great shot and I reckon a conversion to mono with some judicious Dodge & Burn could really make this shot. Nice capture.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

picsfor

it is sad indictment that as good as the shot is - it really has mono written all over it.

This really does have the look of a pre-processed Abers picture as well...

Just Dave

Many thanks Andrew, Keith and Abers, I saw him from across the green, I went over taking shots with my 150-550mm lens,as I got closer I then changed to my 18-55mm, just wished I have stuck the 50mm 1.8 on really, when I eventual spoke to him he was a really nice chap, he just couldn't understand why I wanted to take his photo,I told he was a very interesting guy, he was just laughing, turned out good for me as in the series of shots he looks so relaxed, I did a really quick mono version, please feel free to have a go yourselves I would be interested to see others techniques Edit oops forgot a faint vignette and to tne down the white blob near his left arm, so Ill add the extra image

Dave

Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

anglefire

My 2 minute edit.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

ABERS

Working on the premise it's always the face that's important I always think the background is superflous.

A few minutes fiddling around leads me to this

alan1572

Quote from: ABERS on August 27, 2010, 10:51:06 PM
Working on the premise it's always the face that's important I always think the background is superflous.

A few minutes fiddling around leads me to this

that's some good fiddling, great work
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

nickt

This is my humble attempt.

Just Dave

Good edits guys, not sure about the black BG one though, but it is a good bit of selecting PPing

ABERS

Backgrounds are always a point of discussion and are really a matter of personal choice. However when it is as distracting as the one behind the Rasta Man with large areas of blocked out white my immediate reaction is to get rid of it altogether, after all the face is the thing you want to show viewers.

I've been messing about recently trying to match people with backgrounds, either wildly disparate or complementary. Not as a 'new' discovery in PS, but totally new for me trying to expand my PS skills. So the two images below are a before and after exercise.

Same lady, different frame.

Perhaps our Rasta friend could benefit from it?

bones615

Great shot, looks better B&W.

@Abers. How did you cut him out from the background, I spent hours trying with the lasoo tool on a pic of my niece but the hair outside her face was impossible & i gave up in the end. A link to an idiots guide would be useful as I am not great with PS.

Simon

ABERS

Quote from: bones615 on August 29, 2010, 09:31:09 AM
Great shot, looks better B&W.

@Abers. How did you cut him out from the background, I spent hours trying with the lasoo tool on a pic of my niece but the hair outside her face was impossible & i gave up in the end. A link to an idiots guide would be useful as I am not great with PS.

Simon

Nothing too involved. Just 'magic wanded' around him and adjusted + or - where his whiskers were and feathered it a little, ten filled the area with solid colour balck. It's not too refined, some whiskers are blacked out by his chin, but I didn't spend too much time on it.

Just Dave

Thanks Simon, dont know if you use CS5 or not heres a easy tut on Compositing and Selecting Hair in Photoshop CS5 Clicky Linky

bones615

Thanks guys, Dave the video makes it look easy but I only have Photoshop CS so i guess its the hard way or not at all.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.