• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 193
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 114
  • Total: 114
  • Google
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Best bridge camera advice.

Started by Cabbyjohn, December 17, 2011, 10:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cabbyjohn

Hi. I haven't been on here for some time due to illness. I'm pleased to say that I am on the mend now and ready to venture out into the world once again. Unfortunately I no longer drive, nor have the capacity or the inclination to carry around a heavy DSLR camera plus lenses when I am out and about taking photographs.

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ28 camera which takes great photographs. However I want to upgrade to a good quality bridge camera with a longer zoom capacity I am currently looking at the Fuji HS20 and the Nikon P500. the reason I am looking at these two particular camera's is because of the super zoom. ( I like taking outdoor shots, preferably of birds of the feathered kind.) I consider myself to be a mediocre to average snapper, so I would be grateful for any member advice on this subject.

Thanks in advance.

John.

Beaux Reflets

The Fuji HS20 would be my natural choice. Looking at my daughter's work, the manual zoom and overall clarity across the focal range is extremely good.  :tup:

Given the number of togs I see using this camera when out and about, it is probably denting the DSLR market    :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

greypoint

If you're thinking of a bridge camera for bird shots take a look at the equipment forum  on Birdforum.net. This question regularly comes up and there's a lot of input from those who use the various cameras with examples of what they can do.

Hinfrance

Funny you should mention the Fuji - I was thinking of putting one on my wish list. I used to have a Fuji S9500 which was brilliant, and there are times when I miss the lightness and do anythingness of a bridge. I understand that the video is not the best in class, but if you want a stills camera I would imagine that it will be hard to beat.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Cabbyjohn

Thank you for the replies. I have become even more confused after stumbling across the Sony HX100V. I shall go into Manchester today and see if I can try out the Nikon P500, the Fuji HS20, and the Sony HS100V. No doubt whichever one I decide to buy, I will think that I made the wrong choice. I look forward to once again posting some photographs on CCs.

jinky

Be interesting to see what you go for. Don`t tell my wife but I too am thinking of getting a decent bridge for my trips when a full camera bag is either too heavy ad cumbersome to have time / energy for or inconvenient. I`ll look into a few of those myself but always worry about low light  and flash performance on such bodies. Looked at the Nikon V1 the other day in Leeds - the new one with the viewfinder. Nice  sized body on it with a 2.6 crop factor. Guy starts telling me for £260 I  can get an adaptor that can take my Nikon lenses. But then it will be as heavy in my bag as ny D700 I say as the weight is mainly in my lenses! ??? Then there is an extra flash for £250 + as no onboard flash so the Nikon is out.

You might find this interesting
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-P500-vs-Sony-HX100v

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: jinky on December 19, 2011, 10:03:12 AM
Be interesting to see what you go for. Don`t tell my wife but I too am thinking of getting a decent bridge for my trips when a full camera bag is either too heavy ad cumbersome to have time / energy for or inconvenient. I`ll look into a few of those myself but always worry about low light  and flash performance on such bodies. Looked at the Nikon V1 the other day in Leeds - the new one with the viewfinder. Nice  sized body on it with a 2.6 crop factor. Guy starts telling me for £260 I  can get an adaptor that can take my Nikon lenses. But then it will be as heavy in my bag as ny D700 I say as the weight is mainly in my lenses! ??? Then there is an extra flash for £250 + as no onboard flash so the Nikon is out.

You might find this interesting
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-P500-vs-Sony-HX100v

The Fuji HS20 is very good in low light in my opinion, the hot shoe has obvious advantage over the flip up flash and the manual zoom is quick for framing the shot (more accurate than 'touchy zoom lever buttons').  :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

Ah, Mr jinky, I'm having similar thoughts. Mum's the word.

Even with the relatively light K5, by the time the battery grip and a couple of lenses are added things start to get a little tiresome to haul about for a long day. That's why I bought the Panasonic LX5. Which is superb, like the Olympus XZ-1. But a bridge with a long reach would be rather nice. I quite like the look of THIS, but not the price tag. So it will probably be an HS20. When I've finished paying for the new dental bridge I've just had done - funny that, dental bridges are loads more than the camera type.   :'(

That Sony does look rather tasty, but lacks both RAW and hot shoe (the HS20 even supports TTL flash  8)), so despite it's other good qualities the Sony wouldn't be the one for me.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Malcolm1938

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Oldboy

Quote from: Cabbyjohn on December 17, 2011, 10:34:18 AM
Hi. I haven't been on here for some time due to illness.

Sorry you were ill, and hope things get better day by day.  :tup:

jinky

Quote from: Hinfrance on December 19, 2011, 01:18:56 PM
Ah, Mr jinky, I'm having similar thoughts. Mum's the word.

Even with the relatively light K5, by the time the battery grip and a couple of lenses are added things start to get a little tiresome to haul about for a long day. That's why I bought the Panasonic LX5. Which is superb, like the Olympus XZ-1. But a bridge with a long reach would be rather nice. I quite like the look of THIS, but not the price tag. So it will probably be an HS20. When I've finished paying for the new dental bridge I've just had done - funny that, dental bridges are loads more than the camera type.   :'(

That Sony does look rather tasty, but lacks both RAW and hot shoe (the HS20 even supports TTL flash  8)), so despite it's other good qualities the Sony wouldn't be the one for me.

Just been playing with the Fugi for half an hour in Jessops. I would have asked their advice but ...don`t get me started on the rubbish they were telling people next to me as they sold ueless kit with protection insurance!!! Anyway - don`t think the raw feature in the fuji is worth taking into account. It is so slow to record to card you miss the next shot. Was using a fast one too. A little concerned that the highest f stop in modes other than manual was f8. You could go to f 11 in manual when you finally find out that you press the exposure control button to switch from changingshutter speed to f stop. All in all I just did not like the feel of it in my hand and it was anything but intuitive. Read advice to switch it to 8mp operation to improve quality of images but not convinced. You only get the 2.8 aperture at the widest end and it chnages pretty quickly after that. Got to thinking do I really want to make a one off trip down te Nile and not use my beloved camera and lenses. Will try the Sony next I think but just not sure.

Hinfrance

The Fuji bridges/compacts have always been slow writing RAW files. I think my E900 takes about 7 seconds and the S9500 took around 5. But it's still worth doing in some circumstances. The quality is definitely there. But then the jpgs are pretty good.

You have to remember that they are not DSLRs, have smaller sensors and often very limited f stop ranges*. But the crispness of the lenses (at least on the ones I've had) has been exemplary. And they are cheap. You need to ask yourself what is good value for £240.

Personally I wouldn't buy any bridge (or compact for that matter) without a hotshoe. Without one you cannot use wireless flash triggers or use a more powerful flash.

Not surprised you don't find it intuitive after using something as cack handed as a Nikon for all this time  :2funny:

* from memory (the camera is in the car) I think the minimum aperture on the LX5 is f8. It's not an issue, honest.

Forgot to mention - it runs on AA batteries -  a major plus when you might not be able to get near a charging point in foreign parts.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

jinky

Trouble is the dedicated TTL flash is another £160 and my triggers are dedicated to my D700 and so would not work on the fuji to bring my other flashes into play. If I get one it will be for air travel trips but I`d hate to end up with shots just not up to my D700 mark. The controls are a lot more complex than my D700 I am sure.They just cannot compete with that Nikon logic I guess  ;)

Reinardina

Quote from: Cabbyjohn on December 19, 2011, 08:33:49 AM
Thank you for the replies. I have become even more confused after stumbling across the Sony HX100V. I shall go into Manchester today and see if I can try out the Nikon P500, the Fuji HS20, and the Sony HS100V. No doubt whichever one I decide to buy, I will think that I made the wrong choice. I look forward to once again posting some photographs on CCs.

'I've been using a Sony HX100V since June this year. I was totally confused and just 'plunged' for the Sony.

Mind you, it does not do RAW, so if that's what you're after, it's out.

I also do not shoot little birds very often, as my eyesight is too poor to spot them in the first place. I'm just a 'housewife with a camera' trying to improve my technique and end results. Also still haven't found my own style and genre; I shoot everything!

Have a look at my pictures on Flickr to see what I have done with it so far.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reinardina/

Good luck! Hope you find what you're hoping to find!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Cabbyjohn

I went into Manchester today and after looking at the Fuji HS20,  NikonP500 and the Sony HX100V, I plumped for the Sony. Today was probably not the best day for shopping, the shops were hammered. I went to Jessops first and the staff whilst helpful had difficulty explaining things to me in terms that I could understand. The shop was heaving and I got the feeling of "Make your mind up and buy or sod off" The prices offered by Jessops on the internet were not offered in the store, so I made my excuses and left.

I then found a smaller quieter camera shop where the staff were very patient with me. I preferred the feel of the Sony. The Fuji was bulkier and had a manual only zoom focus, which I found jerky to use when zooming in and out. All things considered I opted for the Sony. The controls are slightly different to what I have been used to, there is no hot shoe or raw, but I think that it will do for all that I want to do with it.  Once I have charged the battery I should be able to try it out. I shall publish anything half way decent on here when I have tested it.

Thanks for the help and assistance.

John.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.