• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 134
  • Total: 134
  • Google
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Probably, but what are the criteria? Where's the logic in a case like this?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Jediboy

I'm not sure logic comes into it. I wonder if an algorithm in a computer has decided that this will happen based on your card usage. I could be wrong but this wouldn't surprise me.
Anyway, I hope that you are well.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Reinardina

Thanks. I am well, but have been in 'solitary confinement' since just before the lockdown.
I was in Holland when all hell broke loose, so once I was home (two busy international airports, full flight, coach trip home) I decided to self isolate for a fortnight, just in case.' While doing that, lockdown was announced and I'm still at home.

Started to do my own shopping again, so at least I now see other human beings occasionally.

Hope you and yours (and all of you at CC) are okay too.

Hinfrance

Quote from: Jediboy on August 24, 2020, 08:22:38 AM
I'm not sure logic comes into it. I wonder if an algorithm in a computer has decided that this will happen based on your card usage. I could be wrong but this wouldn't surprise me.

Unused credit limits have a capital ratio cost for banks, so as part of the risk and treasury management functions they review accounts to see if facilities are no longer required or only being partly used.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on August 24, 2020, 10:57:14 AM

Unused credit limits have a capital ratio cost for banks, so as part of the risk and treasury management functions they review accounts to see if facilities are no longer required or only being partly used.

Thank you Howard. I knew I could count on you for an explanation.
So, instead of saying: "You're costing us money," they pretend to keep me financially secure.

Hinfrance

Quote from: Reinardina on August 24, 2020, 12:42:07 PM
Quote from: Hinfrance on August 24, 2020, 10:57:14 AM

Thank you Howard. I knew I could count on you for an explanation.
So, instead of saying: "You're costing us money," they pretend to keep me financially secure.
Both can be true - but why advertise the first bit?  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

StephenBatey

I've had the reduction letter as the penalty for not using the card as well.

As far as shopkeepers go, some years ago I was in a confectioners in Lewes, and discovered that they preferred credit card payment to cash. The rake off to the credit card company was negotiated and meant that the credit card company took a smaller percentage of the sale than their bank did as the charge for depositing cash! I've tended to ask since then, although these days a lot of shops don't want to handle disease carrying money and insist on credit card payment. Even if the sum is less than a pound.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

anglefire

Go to a job in Swindon (About 90minutes away) which should be simple.

The job I went to sort was fairly simple - but the couple of issues I found took the rest of the day and only got home 25minutes ago. So much for doing another job this afternoon!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

Middle of decorating the kitchen and breakfast room and the kettle packs up!  Had to use a saucepan to make a brew. Not acceptable!

Kettle is just over a year old too. Though it was very cheap......
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

Quote from: anglefire on November 17, 2020, 07:12:21 PM
Middle of decorating the kitchen and breakfast room and the kettle packs up!  Had to use a saucepan to make a brew. Not acceptable!

It might have been too cheap!  :doh:

I've been having trouble using my credit card over the last month or so. Went into bank to see if they could sort the problem but they couldn't, so suggested I contact the bank online. Did that and was told to ask for pin number refresh. I did that and have been waiting three weeks for them to send the information in the post. In the mean time I've been using my contactless debit card. On Monday I tried to use it at Park Farm but it declined my card. Tried my credit card but that was declined again. Some nice lady used her card to pay for my drink and sandwich. I felt a right prat. I haven't been using cash for the last couple of months.

Went into West Bromwich to use my debit card to withdraw some cash from Tesco's cash machine, so I could pay for some shopping  but the cash machine swallowed my card!  >:(  Decided to use my credit card to see if I could withdraw some cash with it. I expected it to swallow that as well. Well blow my socks off it worked. Went into Tesco's and did my shopping then, when I went to pay decided to try the card, which is also contactless, and blow me down it worked!  :o

Need to contact my bank and get them to send me another debit card. I did wonder before, if I tried to withdraw money on my credit card if it would reset it and it did.  ;D

jinky

Quote from: anglefire on November 17, 2020, 07:12:21 PM

Always annoying when you cannot get a brew easily.
The whole of thew UK mist be decorating in lockdown from what I`ve seen in Homebase!So far I`ve done the hall landing and stairs, 2 bedrooms, the woodwork inside all 3 bathrooms and next week I start on the kitchen/ breakfast room. New to me is using satinwood paint on top of my old glosswork. It`s the "modern, contemporary look" according to a decorator  spoke to. More importantly it`s much easier to work with and the brushes clean so much more easily and I`m told it doesn`t yellow like gloss. Trouble is when you decorate all at once it all needs doing again at the same time in a few years!

anglefire

Its building work around here - we had done our patio - a job in planning for 20 years and serious planning for 5 - sort of started by exposing the manhole cover under the patio about 18months ago and done this year.

But one neighbour is extending their house - into the roof and the side and rear, two houses have been refurbished - though they are recent purchases, but on our morning walks I recon I can count at least 1/2 dozen if its the street walk rather than to the park.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

Painted the one internal door - so took the lock out - with some effort which resulted in the front being bent - so no problem get a new one - but all new ones have a taller case - and yes I could modify the door to make it fit, but its a glass door and risks the glass breaking.

So its going to be beaten back into submission and put back in again. Its not actually worked as a lock for 27years that I know of, so its not a big drama.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jediboy

I am very annoyed with our solicitors.
We are hopefully moving house soon, and we should have had all the enquiries back on Monday.

Our solicitors are useless. They don't return phone calls or emails, and today I had an out of office reply from the chap dealing with our case saying he is off for a week. No one bothered to tell us or pick our case up and now we are waiting on them again. They are stalling the whole process and I'm really not amused.

Sorry. Rant over.  >:(
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Oldboy

Quote from: Jediboy on December 10, 2020, 06:57:36 PM
I am very annoyed with our solicitors.
We are hopefully moving house soon, and we should have had all the enquiries back on Monday.

Our solicitors are useless. They don't return phone calls or emails, and today I had an out of office reply from the chap dealing with our case saying he is off for a week. No one bothered to tell us or pick our case up and now we are waiting on them again. They are stalling the whole process and I'm really not amused.

Sorry. Rant over.  >:(

Considering what they charge you, you have reason to complain.  >:(

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.