• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 31
  • Total: 31
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Shutter speed and shooting video on dslr's

Started by oRGie, January 06, 2010, 01:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oRGie

I was wondering what the rule about doubling the fps to set the shutter speed was about as in theory the shutter just stays open for video, but there's more to it than meets the eye, so to speak..

http://blog.tylerginter.com/?p=385

Hybridphotog

Call me narky, cantankerous, grouchy, etc, but shooting video on a digital SLR..? Be thankful for whatever features the manufacturers crowbar into those bodies.

If the shutter speeds can't match what's required (the Canon T90 (I'm digging back into history here) managed 1/8000, and people wondered (and still do) what the hell that'd be useful for), buy a damn video camera!

I've also heard of some video cameras having the capability of taking still photos!

picsfor

1/8000th does a nice job of freezing the wings of insects mid flight.

I can remember a feature on Anglia News in the days when it was read by a guy called Graham Bell showing some one who made managed to capture such pictures with the aid of this amazing shutter speed.

As for cramming features into these bodies - i'm waiting for the wireless feature to evolve into a mobile phone so i can take calls without disturbing my photography  ::) 

Forseti

Quote from: oRGie on January 06, 2010, 01:33:28 AM
I was wondering what the rule about doubling the fps to set the shutter speed was about........

Yes me too oRGie - tks for the link. That said, I had read about this somewhere else without really understanding why and as a result have set the 7D up at 25fps @ 1/60 sec although I've yet to shoot a video clip with it. I've done a fair few with the SX1 but that is limited to 30fps and to be perfectly honest completely forgot about the 180° rule. I wonder what a certain Herr H would have to say if he saw my video clips.  :'( One final point regarding the link you posted - for me the supposed 'animations' referred to in the text just appeared as grey boxes. Shame it would have been nice to have viewed things that the author was referring to - you know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words.

Unbelievably, I've actually got an entire day free today  :tup: so I'm going to do some more reading into the seemingly endless list of bookmarked sites regarding this subject. Here in the south of Germany (anywhere south of Frankfurt and predominantly of the Catholic faith), today is a holiday (Drei Könige or three Kings) One such bookmark is Philip Blooms' site who I gather is well respected in the area of dSLR video. http://philipbloom.co.uk/video-dslrs/ which might be of interest to you.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

oRGie

Dave your narky, cantankerous, grouchy  :tup:

not sure if this will work, here's the gif..  nope didnt work, but its running in my gallery in the comp entries section

or try this link instead http://blog.tylerginter.com/

The other boxes are just tables, try navigate from the page and back to it to load them, no idea why they dont show for you, the others are just jpegs.

ed: its actually so simple and obvious once you know lol...  the sensor works like a shutter itself, it only collects data for the length of time the shutter speed is set to, so even when the shutter is allways open, the sensor is still only recording images for the length of time the shutter speed is set to.  This leads me to a new question, why bother with a mechanical shutter in a dslr, I guess its to do with the viewfinder  :doh:  do the new evf cameras actually have a mechanical shutter ?

picsfor

Quote from: oRGie on January 06, 2010, 01:33:07 PM
do the new evf cameras actually have a mechanical shutter ?

I know one or two models don't and it is the subject of some discussions about the need for a shutter in future cameras.

oRGie

Quote from: picsfor on January 06, 2010, 02:10:10 PM
do the new evf cameras actually have a mechanical shutter ?

I know one or two models don't and it is the subject of some discussions about the need for a shutter in future cameras.

This will annoy Dave no end lol..  will you be able to download shutter sounds like ringtones, haha, I'd like an enfield 303 bolt action sound  :beer:

picsfor

or maybe download a Hassalblad shutter sound to play on your Nikon D90 or Canon 400D?  :2funny:

Forseti

not sure if this will work, here's the gif..  nope didnt work, but its running in my gallery in the comp entries section

its actually so simple and obvious once you know lol...  the sensor works like a shutter itself, it only collects data for the length of time the shutter speed is set to, so even when the shutter is allways open, the sensor is still only recording images for the length of time the shutter speed is set to. 

Yes isn't it  :doh: and thanks for posting the gif file - plays just nicely.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Lifeboat1721

The D90 in video mode, The auto focus doesn't work unless it's me. It work fine on a mates D3s but that is way out of my league unless I win the lottery..  ;D ;D

Ian
Support The RNLI, As you may need them one day...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8749230@N08/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.