• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 54
  • Total: 54
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Lower priced SLR's

Started by PhilB59, September 12, 2009, 09:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilB59

Hi, i have a Lumix DMC-FS5 and a Kodak Z650, and although they both take a good photo they are'nt in the same league as the SLR cameras.
My intention is to upgrade to the SLR's but because of cost limitation on my part i am restricted to what i can get! i have been looking at  Panasonic's Lumix DMC-G1 and Canon's EOS 1000D! C :-\an anyone give me some good advice on which way i should go on either of these or something you think is better for around the same price.
Hope you can help me out here as i really am not sure on picking an SLR camera.
Thanks
Phil

minky_monkey

I`ve got a friend with a 1000D, she`s very happy with it although I find the small size of the body an issue.

Personally, if you`re on a limited budget I`d look for 2nd hand - you`ll get far more camera for you`re money.

If you go via a dealer like MPB Photographic, they supply a six month warranty on their sales.  It takes some of the concerns out of the equation.

greypoint

What's the budget and what do you mainly want to photograph? all the budget DSLRs at the moment should give you good results quality wise. There are some bargains out there but if you're mainly into one type of photography there may be a model/make that would give you access to good second hand lenses for not too much money.

oRGie

Keep in mind that entering into the slr market you are joining a long road of ever more expensive kit :) and its fun lol, but seriously, the lenses are the most important part of quality images, firstly the right one for the job and then the quality of the lens itself, you get what you pay for in genaral, however there are some gems out there like the nifty fifty, basic 50mm lens if you havent read that before.

So, tell us your budget and what you need the camera and lens to do.  IMHO most of the budget dslr's are great cameras, so spend wisely on the body and spend more on the glass, choose a system so in the future when funds allow you can sell your body, well your camera body of course and upgrade just that, keeping the lenses you choose along the way. You may want a flashgun depending on what you like to shoot etc etc... 

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.