• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 64
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 32
  • Total: 32
millets
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

shopping for my 1st dslr - any tips?

Started by brynn, December 22, 2013, 08:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

Quote from: StephenBatey on January 01, 2014, 07:56:10 PM

On clubs
I'm less convinced on the value than most. I've never found a technical problem I couldn't solve myself, and I've seen (and heard) enough to make me think that they (with the best possible intentions) impose an artistic straight jacket on members. And that is a contentious assertion.

I have often asserted that club membership is advantageous for the beginner but have also tempered that with the proviso that you should be wary of becoming a 'club' photographer. Pleasing club judges is to be avoided like the plague! :uglystupid2:

StephenBatey

Quote from: ABERS on January 03, 2014, 10:21:23 PM

I have often asserted that club membership is advantageous for the beginner but have also tempered that with the proviso that you should be wary of becoming a 'club' photographer. Pleasing club judges is to be avoided like the plague! :uglystupid2:

Well said that man  ;D
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

WillyP

When I was a wee lad (is that the right terminology for you over the pond guys?) I was in a photo club... as part of a 4H program. It was fun, I had my Dad's twin lens Rolloflex. Black and white, it was a lot cheaper than color film!

brynn

Nope, not too late.  I don't want to rush into a decision.  And plus I have some health issues, which often interrupt my plans.  So it could be another month or 2 before I make a purchase.  I'm glad someone emphasized physically trying out different cameras, but that means I'll need to visit at least a couple of stores.

Quote from: StephenBatey on January 01, 2014, 03:57:26 PM
You might find this of interest:
http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Advice/Search-Results/Photopedia/How-to-choose-your-first-DSLR/

Very concise!  One thing I don't understand - a phrase I haven't seen yet (or actually I did see somewhere, but now I can't find where it was  :uglystupid2:).  The article refers to "fast camera" or "slow camera".  What part or feature of the camera determines whether it is fast or slow?  I've been thinking of fast or slow in terms of shutter speed, but I thought most cameras would have the same range of speeds available.  So maybe a fast or slow camera means something else?

Quote from: ABERS on January 03, 2014, 10:21:23 PM
Quote from: StephenBatey on January 01, 2014, 07:56:10 PM

On clubs
I'm less convinced on the value than most. I've never found a technical problem I couldn't solve myself, and I've seen (and heard) enough to make me think that they (with the best possible intentions) impose an artistic straight jacket on members. And that is a contentious assertion.

If I were to join a photo club (which I probably won't) it would be to benefit from any classes or seminars they might offer, and maybe for ride sharing on trips or outings.  As for having my photos judged....and even if I submitted photos here, I would only take any advice that made sense, or that moved me more towards my own goals.  After quite a lot of experience, I might like to try and meet someone else's goals or tastes, only as a learning exercise.  I joined a poetry club once, but my tastes are not in line with current trends, so my work was never popular.  But if I'm happy with it, that's really all that matters, since I don't expect to make a living with either poetry or photography!

Anyway, thanks again for all the info  :)

StephenBatey

In that article, Terry (that's his "real" name) was referring to the frame rate - how many exposures the camera can rattle off in a second - for his "fast" and "slow" cameras. There are other ways in which a camera can be slow, of course. Digital compacts can take what seems like an age to "come on" when you hit the switch, and they usually have an appreciable shutter lag (the time between pressing the release and the exposure being made). I could never quite understand this myself, because in the film world I inhabit, the SLR design has a larger shutter lag than non-reflex cameras.

High frame rates can lead to missed photos. For my book, I calculated how far a cricket ball would travel between successive exposures on a high frame rate, and showed that relying on the camera was more likely to make you miss the decisive action of the wicket falling. Swap the analogy for another sport if cricket is too arcane.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Oldboy

Quote from: StephenBatey on January 05, 2014, 12:46:34 AM
Swap the analogy for another sport if cricket is too arcane.

No, not arcane just a taboo subject at present.  :'(

brynn

Oh wow!  A digital camera can take more than 1 photo in a second?  That's amazing (keeping in mind I've never had a digital camera, and only point and shoot film cameras)!  I guess there must be some feature that will make it take shots 1 right after the last?  Because it could be hard to press the button that fast!

I'm not familiar with cricket, so don't understand either the game or it's popularity (or lack of)....or why it would be taboo.  There was an unusual sports news report on tv, that I happened to see last summer.  Apparently in the alley behind the building where this news station is, a group of Indians who work in the same building were playing cricket each evening after work.  So the sports news reporter did a story on it.

Anyway, thanks for explaining that.  I really do have a lot to learn.  But I'm SO excited to finally be doing it!

(edit for typos)

spikeyjen

Quote from: Oldboy on January 05, 2014, 09:34:09 AM
Quote from: StephenBatey on January 05, 2014, 12:46:34 AM
Swap the analogy for another sport if cricket is too arcane.

No, not arcane just a taboo subject at present.  :'(

mmm - not taboo over here in Australia!!! In fact we are pretty chuffed, so much so we had a big celebration on the steps of Sydney Opera House this morning.

StephenBatey

Quote from: brynn on January 07, 2014, 12:36:08 AM
Oh wow!  A digital camera can take more than 1 photo in a second?  That's amazing (keeping in mind I've never had a digital camera, and only point and shoot film cameras)!  I guess there must be some feature that will make it take shots 1 right after the last?  Because it could be hard to press the button that fast!

I'm not familiar with cricket, so don't understand either the game or it's popularity (or lack of)....or why it would be taboo.  There was an unusual sports news report on tv, that I happened to see last summer.  Apparently in the alley behind the building where this news station is, a group of Indians who work in the same building were playing cricket each evening after work.  So the news reporter did a story on it.

Anyway, thanks for explaining that.  I really do have a lot to learn.  But I'm SO excited to finally be doing it!

It's a continuous shooting setting. 35mm film cameras could do the same, if they had an automatic winder attached (or built in, as later cameras tended to). As far as I recall, the fastest was made by Canon, who could run to 10 frames per second. Cameras with these sorts of frame rates came with interchangeable film backs, allowing you to load up to 250 exposures at a time.

Cricket is really like baseball - one bloke throws a ball at another who hits it with a stick and then tries to run somewhere before anyone can get the ball back. It's the speed of the ball that means it travels umpteen feet even in 1/10 second between shots.

It's a sore point to British fans because the England side just suffered a total defeat to the Australians. Dare I suggest that sportsmen would have more regard to the quality of the game than the result?  :)

SimonW

Years ago I had a Sony Mavica digital camera which stored its photos on a built-in floppy disk (only 6 per disk in top quality). But it had a real magic trick - It could take three photos in quick succession, one BEFORE you pressed the shutter, one as you pressed it and one after.

I've never seen another camera that could do this, though I'd guess it wouldn't be hard for a manufacturer to impliment it in any camera that has live view.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

There are quite a few that can do that Simon, but I've not heard of any DSLRs that do.

I'm saving up for a Fuji ES50EXR at the moment. Kind of regret selling my HS20EXR a while back, but I really did need that new amplifier :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 08, 2014, 09:40:31 AM
There are quite a few that can do that Simon, but I've not heard of any DSLRs that do.

I'm saving up for a Fuji ES50EXR at the moment. Kind of regret selling my HS20EXR a while back, but I really did need that new amplifier :)

So am I Howard - They are less expensive here in France too  :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 08, 2014, 05:50:27 PM
Do tell where Andy . .

I cannot find the page now but they were priced at 309 Euro the other day - wish I had bookmarked the page  :-[
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.