• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 81
  • Total: 81
  • Google
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Does It Really Matter?

Started by ABERS, September 07, 2014, 09:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Egypte (Dutch spelling for Egypt), also happens to be a tiny village in Friesland (in the North of the Netherlands).

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

The U.K. Egypt is near Burnham Beeches in Bucks.

On my Saturday morning job as a butcher's boy, I made deliveries to Bryants Bottom and Cockpit Hole.

There is, or was unless the P.C. brigade have changed it,  a Bell End in Wollaston in Northants.

SimonW

And Perth is my nearest city, but I'm not in Australia.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Reinardina

And America is in Holland too.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Graham

Anyone who has studied our wonderful OS maps will know that certain areas of the country have certain recurring names attributed to common geographical features and places. Such as "Upper", "Lower", "Tops" and "Bottoms".
      I was studying the maps of the West Sussex "Downs" when I found a little place, barely a hamlet, called "Polecats" a little way away in a wooded area was a place called "Upper Polecats".
      I was desperate for there to be a place called "Upper Polecats Bottom"!  :2funny:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

donoreo

Quote from: Graham on September 17, 2014, 01:18:13 PM
      Anyone who has studied our wonderful OS maps will know that certain areas of the country have certain recurring names attributed to common geographical features and places. Such as "Upper", "Lower", "Tops" and "Bottoms".
      I was studying the maps of the West Sussex "Downs" when I found a little place, barely a hamlet, called "Polecats" a little way away in a wooded area was a place called "Upper Polecats".
      I was desperate for there to be a place called "Upper Polecats Bottom"!  :2funny:
Nova Scotia (literally New Scotland) has that a lot.  My mother was born in Thomasville (named for her ancestor) but that was near Port Clyde, near Clyde River, near Upper Clyde.  Then there are the nearby Pubnico villages:

Centre East Pubnico
    East Pubnico
    Lower East Pubnico
    Lower West Pubnico
    Middle East Pubnico
    Middle West Pubnico
    Pubnico Nova Scotia
    Upper West Pubnico
    West Pubnico

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.