• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 56
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 60
  • Total: 60
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaux Reflets

Cool, glad you got it sorted  :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Graham

Hav'nt a clue what any of you were talking about but  :tup: :beer: anyway.
               Graham.  :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

skellum

Christmas decorations allready up in our local Tesco.. :knuppel2:

Graham

Quote from: Dave on October 31, 2011, 11:52:40 PM
Christmas decorations allready up in our local Tesco.. :knuppel2:

There were "Christmas" mince pies (picture of Holly on the box.) in our local Aldi ages ago. The best before by date was mid November!
                  Graham. ;D

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

It's not fair, everyone else has one and they want one too. If they want an iPad in time for Christmas then there is no way you're going to stop them. They're just going to buy it anyway and make you pay. And these aren't pampered and demanding teenagers, they're the people supposedly running the country.

Apparently one MP a week is buying an iPad and sending the bill to the taxpayer.

Vital tools?
Figures from the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) for June and July reveal that eight of the gadgets were bought and claimed for - which is roughly one a week. Conservative MP Bob Blackman even claimed £627 for one for his secretary. This came after a ruling where MPs were given permission to use them in the chamber.

Ipsa says it's all above board, and that these are essential tools for the job, so it's perfectly fair to claim iPads for parliamentary work.

Toys
However, this is working on the basis that these MPs really need an iPad, and that's up for debate. Who actually needs one? A large chunk of the UK population would like one. They are cool, and lightweight, they are fashionable and fun - who wouldn't want one?

However, unless they are desperately trying to justify the purchase to their other half, noone would claim they actually need one. If you have a computer then you have all the hardware you need. If you want to work on the go then you can claim for a laptop. But find me the MPs who don't have access to a laptop already.

And of those people who hanker after an iPad, you have to ask whether it's really for work. The vast majority are used for surfing the web and playing games - two of the things it was specifically designed for. It's not intended for producing documents or for working on projects. It's not a work tool, it's a toy. If the MPs suddenly started putting claims in for XBoxes and DSs would we still allow them as vital work tools or would we tell them to go and take a running jump?

This smacks of fashionable posturing and greedy grasping at its worst.

But am I missing the point? Are MPs actually doing vital work on their iPads that they couldn't do in any other way. Have they in fact worked out a way to offer better value for money to taxpayers by using the gadgets? I don't think so!  >:(

Oldboy

Following the expensive refit of his Westminster Palace abode, it has emerged that House of Commons Speaker John Bercow has blown £3,700 of taxpayers' money on lavish clothes.

By contrast, other senior politicians - including the prime minister - foot the bill for their formal wear themselves.

Bercow splashed out £3,200 on a morning suit for ceremonial events such as the royal wedding. He could have bought 16 of Marks & Spencer's pure wool morning suits at £199 instead - or six three-piece Royal Ascot morning suits from Moss.co.uk, priced at £499. He spent another £485 on a white tie and tails suit to wear at state dinners. The figures were released under the Freedom of Information Act.

When he took up the post of Speaker in June 2009, Bercow did away with the traditional uniform of white ruff, tights and wig. Even so, he has spent more public money on suits than his predecessor Michael Martin spent on his garb - which cost £3,495 in 2008-09. Bercow also spent £935 on a robe in 2009-10.

A House of Commons spokeswoman told the Sun that Bercow bought his own lounge suits to wear in the chamber under the black robe.

Bercow has also run up a £14,000 bill by taking chauffeur-driven cars everywhere, even on short journeys, in his first six months. His £20,000 spending on refurbishments to his Westminster Palace apartment when he moved in already raised eyebrows.

He earns £134,565 a year and lives rent free with his wife Sally and three children in the Palace of Westminster. While MPs have agreed to accept less generous pension schemes, Bercow refused last month to reduce his lucrative retirement package, which will pay him the equivalent of half his salary for the rest of his life. A few days ago he indicated that he would be willing to discuss his pension arrangements with senior officials, though. Similar pension arrangements for prime ministers and chancellors will be abolished, David Cameron has announced.

Are we still in this altogether???  >:(

Hinfrance

. . but on the up side, we don't have to live with his missus.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Graham

Oldboy my friend, don't get angry....get even!.........just sayin'!
      Graham.  :knuppel2: :tup: ;)

Oh, and here's a legitimate use of an ipad for work. Each of the 5 man brass section had one, set to scroll and save all that page turning nonsence.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

ABERS

Must tell my mate to learn the trumpet. He's gat an iPad and can't work out why! :uglystupid2:

Hinfrance

Quote from: Graham on November 04, 2011, 04:56:55 PM

Oh, and here's a legitimate use of an ipad for work. Each of the 5 man brass section had one, set to scroll and save all that page turning nonsence.

That really is taking the p*ss. I've never played with anyone who couldn't remember their part. The only time I ever used sheet music was in a symphony orchestra. Rick Wakeman summed it up well - to be in a live band you not only have to know your part thoroughly, but everyone else's too.

Mind you, brass sections are notoriously indolent. :o
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Graham

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 04, 2011, 06:56:56 PM
Quote from: Graham on November 04, 2011, 04:56:55 PM

That really is taking the p*ss. I've never played with anyone who couldn't remember their part. The only time I ever used sheet music was in a symphony orchestra. Rick Wakeman summed it up well - to be in a live band you not only have to know your part thoroughly, but everyone else's too.

Mind you, brass sections are notoriously indolent. :o

I agree with you (and Rick.). If they need the music then their under-rehersed....still looked cool though!

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

It just gets worse!  >:(

London Fire Brigade Commissioner, Ron Dobson, is embroiled in a scandal that saw him strike a deal to quit his £200,000 a year position, receive an estimated £700,000 pension payoff and then walk straight back into his former role.

It is thought that the fire chief (pictured with Mayor of London Boris Johnson) has been allowed to side step future pension cuts in a move the Fire Brigades Union has branded "deeply unethical."

It is reported that Dobson has been allowed to 'retire' and gain access to his pension entitlements – giving him a maximum of £133,000 a year, two thirds of his salary. But the 52-year-old has been instantly re-employed into his old position, albeit on lower pay.

The deal has angered the Fire Brigades Union, which has branded it "deeply unethical" at a time when many firefighters are facing job cuts and pay freezes.

The option to leave early appears to have allowed the fire chief to dodge any future cuts to pensions and increases in tax to his lump sum. Officials at the union are also angry that he was allowed to walk back into his old post without other candidates being considered for the position.

Secret deal
According to the Daily Mail, the press and the public were asked to leave a meeting of the fire authority before the retirement and re-employment of Mr Dobson were discussed under an item listed as "continuity arrangements".

The newspaper reports that Paul Embery, regional official of the union, said: "It appears deeply unethical for a deal like this to be hammered out in secret at a time when ordinary firefighters are suffering tough austerity measures.

"When firefighters are subject to a pay freeze and 25% cuts in spending, this is obscene. It shows there's one rule for fat cats and another for the rest of us.
"This kind of decision should be made in public so that it can be properly scrutinised instead of being made in a cloak and dagger way."

"Cost saving" move
The firefighters' pension scheme allows for a two-thirds salary pension, which would give Mr Dobson £133,333 annually, based on his final salary of around £200,000 a year.

Workers may convert up to quarter of their pension into a lump sum called a 'commutation.' This would allow Dobson to draw £716,000, which if he did would bring his annual pension down to about £100,000.

Last night a London Fire Brigade spokesman declined to discuss the figures with the Daily Mail, but insisted the move represented a "cost saving" because of Mr Dobson's lower salary. It ensured a highly regarded commissioner was in office during the run-up to the 2012 Olympics and beyond, he added.

No wonder people think there is on law for us and another for them!  :'(

skellum

No wonder people think there is on law for us and another for them! 

This sort of thing makes me sick.  I used to be proud to be British but now its an embarrassment. My sister has dual nationality as she was born in South Africa and the rest of us were granted permanent residency. It might be worth my while checking whether it still applies and departing this sad country for good.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Dave on November 05, 2011, 08:59:58 AM
No wonder people think there is on law for us and another for them! 

This sort of thing makes me sick.  I used to be proud to be British but now its an embarrassment. My sister has dual nationality as she was born in South Africa and the rest of us were granted permanent residency. It might be worth my while checking whether it still applies and departing this sad country for good.

I agree it is sickening, the attitude of some does not merit the word sensible in a Democratic society, but whatever the political bias in reign, those who can, often abuse and milk the system. It happens all the time (history repeated) regardless of the masses in poverty around the world. The only way forward is to name and shame while maintaining and increasing transparency. And they wonder why some folk try to avoid as much tax as possible in an effort to reduce the funds available for such exploitation.

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

bones615

Yesterday i went to mow the lawn (I know its the middle of november) and found the rubber petrol primer bulb had been eaten by mice. On the up side, today I ordered a new one for only £6 and the 2 traps i bought yesterday had a mouse in each.

Simon

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.