• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 131
  • Total: 131
  • Google
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

flash diffusers

Started by irv_b, October 02, 2009, 06:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irv_b

Does any have one of these or ever used one? I have a speedlight (SB600)  and made a diffuser for that but was wondering if these were any good when using the pop up in CLS mode

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-lumiquest-soft-screen-pop-up-flash-diffuser/p1010255
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

oRGie

Hey Irv, I use the various grades of plastic discs that come with the packaging for new filters for my on cam flash diffuser, bit of electrical tape when out, not needed at home or in still enviroments. I have different grades now from the different filters I have bought over the years :)

anglefire

Greased proof paper works pretty well too!

Lot cheaper too!  :D
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

jinky

If you don`t want a home made one this guy does them cheaper and a mate is pleased with his:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=157807
Just scroll down the page

Hinfrance

Any chance of telling us what it is jinky - you have to register to see the page and I've already got a password manager bursting at the seams, I don't want to add to it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

It`s a white plastic diffuser that covers the built in flash and slots into the hotshoe on some plastic arms to hold it in front of the flash.. £6.75 inc postage. This guy sells a lot of of strobist gear cheap - stands, softboxes, yongnou triggers etc and seems competitive. Does stofen type diffusers too for £2. I had not realised it was ano old post of irv`s and he may be sorted now. When I am reduced to the on board flash I usually put a bit of tissue over it to be honest.

bones615

I also find tissue & selotape useful. Also made a diffuser from the bottom of a 4 pint plastic milk bottle for my sigma flash.

stevebedder

I ordered a few different diffusers from a place on Amazon earlier this month and they arrived today.

They were only cheap but am really pleased with them so far.

Air blow Flash Diffuser for £3.99
Universal Magician Flash Diffuser Lambency Softbox £15.99
Mini Flash Diffuser £3.99

The Universal Magician Flash Diffuser is basically a Gary Fong Whale Tail-Reporter with all the mounting kit, colour gels, extra flaps, chrome reflectors etc which normally retails at $109.00!!!

The bargain of the lot has to be a Wireless 4 Channel Flash Remote for £14.99, it works great. Just plug one side on the camera, the bracket on the flash unit switch on and away you go - theres even an umbrella holder on the flash bracket. The remote works from a fair distance apart to.

I'm a happy bunny today  :tup:

Steve

oRGie

Nice haul of toys to play with  :beer:   The links dont work me though, wouldnt mind seeing the bits you got, do you have a link to the store on amazon ?

ed: dont worry, searched on amazon and found them ;)   nice set of bits with the magician set..

stevebedder

Sorry, I messed up adding the hyperlinks in  :legit:

....I've just edited them so they now work  :tup:

Hinfrance

Nice links Steve - that's my kind of shopping.

The magic thing looks like a toilet though . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

stevebedder

Heres a pic of the 'toilet' diffuser kit...

The image is from the Gary Fong website (he's the guy that invented them) but it's exactly the same kit that comes with the £15.99 version that I got.

Forseti

Irv - for my pop-up flash (which I seldom use anyway) I use an old 35mm film canister - the white opaque type. Cut a slot along the side approx 3/4 of the canisters length and a width to match the depth of the flash head. With the flash up simply slide the canister over the head. Looks cheap and nasty which of course it is LOL but very effective for all that.  
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.