• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 67
  • Total: 67
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Member spotlight: Hybridphotog (aka Dave)

Started by Hybridphotog, August 31, 2009, 05:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hybridphotog

1.How long have you been interested in photography?
For nearly all my life. My dad is a photographer, so I guess I grew up with a mix of Rodinal and E-6 in my veins.

2.Favourite subjects?
Everyone who's seen my work says it's either black and white, or it's steam engines. I actually don't have a favourite subject, other than "Is that scene usable in a photo?"

3.What's the most enjoyable part of photography for you?
Being told that my work's inspired someone. Also, looking back at old photos and seeing definite changes.

4.What do you find most difficult about photography?
To be honest, it's accepting new fads.

5.Did you start with film or have you only used digital?
I started with film. I don't think the word "digital" meant anything back in the 1970's, other than stuff found in sci-fi films.

6.What was your first camera?
Ah, a Kodak 127 Brownie Mk3. No flashgun, no exposure control, no focussing.. just point, click, fingers crossed.
I loved that camera so much, I managed to buy another one on eBay a couple of years ago. :)

7.What do you use currently?
A Canon 350D, a Nokia N95 8GB, and a Leica IIIc.

8.What's your dream photo location or subject?
My dream location would be Cuba.

9.Dream camera/lens combo?
Maybe a Canon 7 rangefinder, complete with the monsterous 50mm f/0.95 lens.
... or a Canon A-1, with a 50mm f/1.2 lens.
... or a Baby Rollieflex.
... or a Leica "null serie".
... or a Voigtlander R3A, with a 40mm f/1.4 Nokton
... or an Epson R-D1s, with an LTM lens converter.

10.Photographers you admire?
Eugene Atget, Humphrey Spender, Geoff Davies, Robert Capa.

11.Would you like to be a pro photographer?
No. My first job was working in a camera shop, which nearly killed my interest in photography. Being a pro would absolutely kill my interest in photography.

12.How much processing/manipulating do you do?
I keep that stuff to a minimum. Nearly all of my work involves a crop and resize. My digital b+w stuff has been converted from colour.

12A. What editing software do you use?
Linux GIMP, along with UFRaw and Quiteinsane.

13.Any other thoughts on photography in general and what it means to you.
Photography's a hobby of mine. In this day and age though, people should stop worrying about photographers. Not all of us are perverts, or planning the downfall of civilisation... some of us want our hobby to remain enjoyable.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.