• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 57
  • Total: 57
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Riots

Started by Oldboy, August 14, 2011, 12:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Quote from: Oldboy on August 14, 2011, 12:07:58 AM
Please read this article by Peter Oborne from the Telegraph.  8)

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100100708/the-moral-decay-of-our-society-is-as-bad-at-the-top-as-the-bottom/

Yes Oldboy. That's pretty much my take on it.
There'll be no support from me for the rioters/looters, call them what you will (But please not protesters) but
I find it particularly galling that I am expected to take a lecture on morality from a bloody polititian.
See here.  http://nathanieltapley.com/2011/08/10/an-open-letter-to-david-camerons-parents/

Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

jinky

Pretty much echoes my thoughts too. It does not justify what happened those dark days but does highlight the greed refelcted at various levels of society.

ABERS

Having watched the debate last week I must admit that all those well articulated points in the article crossed my mind. 'Don't do as I do, do as I say' was the remark my wife made as we watched.

I remember posting some time ago that the fact that one in five of people aged between 16 and 21 were unemployed and intimating that this scale of joblessness was a recipe for disaster. That said I, the actions of any of the rioters and looters, and murderers, put them beyond the pale.

Haven't we all nicked a bit of something here and there over the course of time, usually referred to as perks. You know what I mean, paper clips, paper, ball point pens, pencils etc. What we didn't do, was set fire to the stationery cupboard when we did it, and beat up dear old Gladys who was in charge of it! ???

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on August 14, 2011, 06:47:02 AM
Quote from: Oldboy on August 14, 2011, 12:07:58 AM
Please read this article by Peter Oborne from the Telegraph.  8)

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100100708/the-moral-decay-of-our-society-is-as-bad-at-the-top-as-the-bottom/

Yes Oldboy. That's pretty much my take on it.
There'll be no support from me for the rioters/looters, call them what you will (But please not protesters) but
I find it particularly galling that I am expected to take a lecture on morality from a bloody polititian.
See here.  http://nathanieltapley.com/2011/08/10/an-open-letter-to-david-camerons-parents/

Graham.

Good article and valid points.  :tup:

Graham

And now it's all kicked off in Edinburgh!
                     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG-XWBVdonQ
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Paul Montgomery

I must admit - I've been thinking that too...
Not so long ago, a large number of MPs were caught with their hands in the till. A lot of them said sorry, paid the money back and all was forgotten. So, if the people nicking TVs etc (not the ones actually doing damage though) hand them back and say sorry, will that be O.K ?

Oldboy

The Prime Minister pledged to stamp out the criminal groups as he dismissed any link between last week's devastating violence and the coalition's austerity measures. Cameron want to clean up society then how about starting here!  >:(

Can you imagine working for a company that has just 635 employees, but, has the following employee statistics..

29 have been accused of spouse abuse

7 have been arrested for fraud

9 have been accused of writing bad cheques

17 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

3 have done time for assault

71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

14 have been arrested on drug-related charges

8 have been arrested for shoplifting

21 are currently defendants in lawsuits

84 have been arrested for drink driving in the last year and collectively,

2 of them agreed to the rules which allowed the Banks to risk everything.

This year alone, they have cost the British tax payer £92,993,748 in expenses!!!

Which organisation is this?

It's the 635 members of the House of Commons.

The same group that cranks out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

And just to top all that they probably have the best 'corporate' pension Scheme in the country!!

If you agree that this is an appalling state of affairs, please pass it on to everyone you know .

Jerry WSL

Well said Old Boy!

Lepach

Quote from: Oldboy on August 15, 2011, 07:29:22 PM
The Prime Minister pledged to stamp out the criminal groups as he dismissed any link between last week's devastating violence and the coalition's austerity measures. Cameron want to clean up society then how about starting here!  >:(

Can you imagine working for a company that has just 635 employees, but, has the following employee statistics..

29 have been accused of spouse abuse

7 have been arrested for fraud

9 have been accused of writing bad cheques

17 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

3 have done time for assault

71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

14 have been arrested on drug-related charges

8 have been arrested for shoplifting

21 are currently defendants in lawsuits

84 have been arrested for drink driving in the last year and collectively,

2 of them agreed to the rules which allowed the Banks to risk everything.

This year alone, they have cost the British tax payer £92,993,748 in expenses!!!

Which organisation is this?

It's the 635 members of the House of Commons.

The same group that cranks out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

And just to top all that they probably have the best 'corporate' pension Scheme in the country!!

If you agree that this is an appalling state of affairs, please pass it on to everyone you know .

Lepach

Sorry about the previous entry. Still getting to grips with this site. As some of you will know I'm not the best at this sort of thing.
Old boy that is fascinating reading. Where did you get those stats?

Oldboy

Quote from: Lepach on August 20, 2011, 08:53:47 AM
Old boy that is fascinating reading. Where did you get those stats?

It was forwarded in an email.  :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.