• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 42
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 32
  • Total: 32
  • Baidu
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

I must be one of the rare ones still using a 30D

Started by Mick, December 27, 2023, 04:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Just thinking the other day, I must be one of the only people left who haven't constantly upgraded my cameras and lenses, I'm still using a Canon 30D atm. lol..

Partly put this down to the fact I kind of lost interest in the hobby, and partly down to the fact I have cataracts in my right eye and await the operation to get that sorted.  Then of course there's the cost, I just took a look around and the prices are pretty steep nowadays.

I would however like to get back into photography at some point and wondering whether to make the jump to Mirrorless.  In your opinion is that the way to go now?
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

anglefire

Having not wanting to jump to mirrorless for years, I made that jump this (Oops, last) year and now have 2. Several reasons for not wanting to go, the main one being the viewfinder being laggy and pixelated - but that has all changed now and lag is imperceptible and the resolution is brilliant.

As you know, I have kept with Canon too, and you can use the older EF lenses with a converter on the latest R system - which makes the cost more bearable than having to completely switch. I only have one RF lens still - though I am considering another, though I want to try it first.

I did borrow the Rp - something like a 26Mp sensor and it is really good - body is plastic which put me off as I do tend to use my gear in fairly harsh conditions - at the time I also wanted higher resolution (The R5 is 45Mp). The AF is very similar to the R5 too and its brilliant - you would find it a revelation from the 30D!

It would be worth trying one via try the kit - https://testdrive.trythekit.com/products/HAC00-06398-canon-eos-rp-with-rf-24-105mm-f4l-is-usm-and-ef-eos-r-adapter-kit/ this link is for the Rp and 24-105 and an EF adapter - but others are available. 1 or 2 day hire is free - and you get a discount voucher if you then go onto buy it.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Mick

Thanks Mark.  Happy new year to you.  ;)

That info is helpful, was a bit worried about the viewfinders not being up to scratch until you said that. I'm guessing you can use either the viewfinder or the rear screen to compose your shots?  So do you use yours for video as well as photos?

Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

anglefire

Yes viewfinder or rear screen (Which is rotatable on both my R5 and R3) can be used for composing/taking. Also the viewfinder can have a level displayed as well as histogram and can show the shot once taken.

I do take some video too. There is some I shot in Morocco here: https://www.mark.colston-online.co.uk/Holidays/Morocco%202023/Videos/index.html - I think these are mostly HD and not 4 or 8k that the camera can take as I didn't change the settings correctly at the time! All taken on the R5 as that was the only camera I took (Living life on the edge!)

The Image stabilisation is very good too - has IBIS as well as using the lenses own IS (Some say the EF IS doesn't work on the R bodies, but I'm not so sure - it definitely spins up on my EF300 2.8L IS!) - I took some video at the Warwick Castle light trail - and was steady as a rock, despite being night!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.