• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 174
  • Total: 174
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

5DII vs 7D

Started by oRGie, October 19, 2009, 04:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oRGie

5DII vs 7D...  Been pondering over which direction to take, decided to move up a level from my 40D, probably in a couple of months to see what happens with pricing, the thing is after weighing up the 2 cameras, it has become quite a difficult decision.  Prices are allmost the same now..

If the 5DII had a pop up flash and speedlite transmitter it would be a simple choice, I think :)

I decided it is time to improve the lenses I use, so the 5DII with a 24-105L would be perfect to start off, the 7D loses out because there is no L lens that covers that very usefull (for me) range (on the crop sensor body), its either 16-35 or 17-40.. I cant see the ef-s 15-85 being up to L standards, shame, as that would be the perfect focul range for what I like..... but the 7D is a very versatile package, with the flash stuff, faster pic rate, twin processors (they must have done that for a reason, the next 5D incarnation will be interesting),

So I think I have decided to go the 7D route anyway and live with having to use 2 lenses to cover my favourite range. Still waiting for the 15-85 to be reviewed so I can see what the results are like..

So I would appreciate all your thoughts on this..  yes both would be nice lol   :beer:

picsfor

I think ultimately it comes down to what you like to photograph.

I'm not a wildlife or sports person. So i don't need bucket loads of fps. But if you are - then the 7D is for you.
If you're more into portraits, landscapes and similar - then you will gain from the 5D MkII.

I already owned a 580ExII so not having a flash was not a consideration. The speedlite transmitter would have been nice though.

Drop Martin (Minkey Monkey) a line and see what his monkey thinks of it - he has one. He's also had a quick go with my 5D MkII so he would be able to give you a fair assessment.

Though ultimately i think you're talking about a choice that's akin to dark grey or light grey!

oRGie

yeah its not easy..  I use my camera and will own just one, for lots of different things, so landscape, portrait, live bands, houses, wildlife and motorsport when i get the chance, so you see in certain circumstances both cameras will be a compromise :)  and both do both very well, just as you say the 5D excells in some areas, FF loveliness, but the 7D also excells in some area's..  I like a pop up flash even though I have flash guns, because I use the camera for so many different things I won't allways have the flashgun with me, I need to travel light, body and one lens only at times, hence why I like the usefullness of zoom lenses, again I know primes would give best results, but that much kit on a trip isnt going to be feasable....

I would live without the pop up if I end up feeling the other factors are more important...  hmmmm

I think my gut is saying that the 7D would be the better camera as an all rounder, but then I havent had use of a 5D to judge whats its like to use as any everyday/situation camera  :doh:

anglefire

Not forgetting that the Hi ISO of the 5DII almost makes the pop up flash redundant!!

If you generally don't need very long lenses (Ie up to say 400mm with crop factor taken into account), I would personally go for full frame.

One of the reasons is that when taking shots of people, in particular, and using fast lenses, the DOF control can't be beaten!

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Al Birmingham

Still living with and loving my 5D but just thought I'd say that I never miss the pop up flash. Even an older 420EX speedlight gives a far better result than the pop up, the 580EX is better still. After seeing the results from good flash guns I never even think about pop ups, even when using my old 20D.
As has been said, good high ISO goes a long way towards negating the need for flash - but not all the the way. I still use flash when shooting outdoors practically all the time, it's indoor stuff that I often turn it off for when using window light can be so much better.

As for which camera? Let your intended use decide. If you need the extra 'zoom' a cropped sensor can offer or fast shutter speeds go 7D, if not, go 5D mkII - simples!
Al Birmingham

minky_monkey

In all honesty, given then fact that you cover wildlife and motorsports amongst your reportoire, then I`d be more inclined to go down the 7D route.  Given the FPS rate, and the added reach that you get with a crop sensor, it`s going to tick more boxes overall.

The noise level between the two is pretty similar, I used mine at ISO 4000 at the weekend to shoot some football and it only needed a little processing.

I`ve still not got around to using the speedlight transmitter yet though!

oRGie

I appreciate the feedback guys  :beer:

However, I'm still stuck for a decision lol and I think it boils down to latest tech vs highest quality.

Whenever I see images from FF cameras I very often think there is something more to them than crop sensor images, I mean you get great crop sensor images, dont get me wrong, but the FF images just seem to have something about them...

But, I do realise this is down to lenses also (and user skill of course)

What i would love to see is 2 photos, using the same lens, same subject, lighting etc, one from 5D one from 7D, a pic of something real world, fun fair colours and detail would be good, not asking for much am I  :2funny:

As I do need/want to upgrade my lenses (all ef-s btw), this maybe helps my decision as I cant just go out get a 5DII and a full range of L series..  I'm thinking to get the 7D now, resist the tempting 15-85 focul range of the new ef-s, use what I have allready while I replace them one by one as funds become available with L series.. perhaps then in a couple of years I will have a set of EF L lenses and my next upgrade could be to FF...hmm

(maybe even pick up a second hand 5Dmk1 at some point if a bargain comes along as a second body)

I have a feeling that the 7D price will go down maybe as much as £200 before too long   :legit:

picsfor

given the specs of the 1D Mk IV i'm thinking the 7D looks rather good value...

If you only (please don't take that the wrong way)have ef-s lenses i think you should go for the 7D.
Reason being the 5D MkII chews up and spits out any lens not of the highest quality.

Example - 100mm f.28 macro. Great lens, has worked extremely well on my 30D and 40D along with the 5D and 1D MkIIs, but on the 5D MkII i'm noting it struggles a bit. 21mp FF really does love to highlight not only your, but the lenses deficiencies with ease. This is an EF lens - but the simple fact is it is being 'tolerated' by the 5D MkII not embraced - really.

You really do need glass of L quality, whatever the make, to please the 5D MkII. I was lucky - i had 3 L class lenses covering the 17mm - 200mm range and oddly enough the 50mm f1.8 seems to work more than adequately as well. So as it stands - i'm thinking of trading my 100mm f2.8 macro in for the L version (the IS is not an issue here just compatibility).

So i'm now coming off the fence and saying get the 7D!

oRGie

not taken wrong way at all, I agree and its the same conclusion I have come to, allmost lol :)   The lenses I have are all good, but, I know they are not the best and dont give me the IQ I would love to have, I have known that for a while..  Soo, as I want to upgrade soonish (price watching right now), it comes down to either getting 7 now and start replacing lenses, then next time round be ready to go FF, or get 5D now and 24-105, live with old ef75-300 for a few months and get another, 70-200 or 100-400 and at some point a 16-35 etc..  Basically getting the 5D now means living without the focul range I have now in my lenses :)

I have wanted to move to FF for a long while, but maybe a bit more patience is needed, i know I would really enjoy the 7D anyway, had the 40D for a couple of years and am itching for a new toy  :legit:

anglefire

QuoteWhenever I see images from FF cameras I very often think there is something more to them than crop sensor images, I mean you get great crop sensor images, dont get me wrong, but the FF images just seem to have something about them...

I couldn't agree more - but  I can't really put my finger on it!

But the 7 will be a fine camera - or you could go for the MkIV. And really break the bank!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

minky_monkey

Quote from: picsfor on October 20, 2009, 10:12:35 PMIf you only (please don't take that the wrong way)have ef-s lenses i think you should go for the 7D.
Reason being the 5D MkII chews up and spits out any lens not of the highest quality.

TBH, even on the 7 I notice that I need to upgrade my Tamron 28-70 2.8.  When looking at pictures taken using my 70-200 f4 L IS, there`s a noticable difference in quality.  Now, I`ve got to play about with the micro adjustment at some point to see whether that improves things, I`ll let you know.

It may just be one of those things on high MP cameras.

And I agree, compared to the Mk IV the 7`s a bargain!!

oRGie

Right now I feel like robbing a bank, or a canon factory :)

Just stumbled on this comparison site, it has just what I was looking for. Interesting that to my eye the portrait examples show a sweeter image from the 5D to my eye ?  but, it works for portrait catching beauty, the 7D image looks like it would portray a more realistic image, think wrinkled old man on bench type shot or war correspondant :)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

same lens used and full exif

picsfor

if you can be patient for another fortnight i may have the answer - hopefully.

If Martin is able to attend the Abers meet - we will both be present with a 70-200 f4 L IS lens, but one of us will have a 5D MkII and the other will have a 7D.

We could, for the benefit of Mr Kite, take some comparison pictures and post after the meet. I believe this meet should have a choice of some wildlife to photograph as well as some landscape/ portrait stuff. That should give you your comparative pictures.

oRGie

in fact the still life images are very telling, look at the full size of each, look at the area around the bottom of the neck on the beer bottle with the olive oil with chili's in, the black on the 5d is deeper, bit like what a ps adjustment would do to the 7d image, but the 5d image is smoother, the labels as seen on the 7d image seem to have retained more detail which makes them look less luxurious, but overall i have to say the difference is quite minimal....

oRGie

That would be great :) thanks..  yes I will be patient, I have seen the 7D start to appear for 1499 allready (devon cameras)  :beer:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.