• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 282
  • Total: 282
  • Google
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Canon ef-s 18-200 IS user review

Started by oRGie, January 29, 2009, 12:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oRGie

I'll add some photos at some point, but I've had this lens for a couple of months now and am really enjoying it, very handy focul length for walkabout and decently wide too. The IS makes a great difference to long shots at 200mm, well worth it as a basic lens. The IQ isnt bad either, I have to say its not the best, but as I've got used to the lens I am getting better and better results.

I've noticed lots of sigma 18-200's for sale recently, I guess lots want to upgrade to the canon with IS.

The lens has a nice ballance on my 40D, feels just right.

Lens creep hasnt been a problem, but I havent tried using it facing down or up on a tripod yet, it doesnt seem to creep open on my shoulder from 18mm, initial friction seems to hold it, but there is a catch if I ever find it starts to drop open.

I read about using an elastic band to hold it in place on a tripod, but not sure where you would put the band, I'm guessing partly on the zoom ring ?

My only gripe is the lack of lens hood, it should be included, but even so it would be nice if canon made some more, they've been out of stock since I got the lens, doh!

oRGie

Here's one of the first shots taken with my new lens. At 200mm hand held, misty day hence the foggy background, but I think it helped focus on the surfer.. 

oRGie

Here's a 100% crop of a handheld shot, full size in my gallery

Mick

Looks like a good lens, and as you said very handy as a walk about.  ;) 

I use my 50-500 as a walk about lens, it's always on my camera, but it's far too heavy..  ???

Ps:  I've added a link to your CC gallery in your signature for you. ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

oRGie

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.