• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 41
  • Total: 41
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

The winner is announced

Started by greypoint, December 14, 2011, 12:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greypoint

Did'nt actually pick any of these althjough a couple were my runners up  :-\

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/

ABERS

I'm afraid I didn't get near any with my choices :(

I can't find anywhere who the judges were, it would be interesting to read how they came on their choices. I expect that will be explained in the next edition of the magazine.

The Travel winner 'Waiting for Mum' is a bit of a puzzle. Who is the lady sitting in the passenger seat? ;)

greypoint

The winning picture was actually one I had thought the judges would go for. I am totally inexpert in the nuances of b/w but I just felt the tones were a bit flat - perhaps that was the idea given the subject matter. A striking subject though. Will probably look more striking if expertly printed large.

ABERS

Quote from: greypoint on December 14, 2011, 02:48:56 PM
The winning picture was actually one I had thought the judges would go for. I am totally inexpert in the nuances of b/w but I just felt the tones were a bit flat - perhaps that was the idea given the subject matter. A striking subject though. Will probably look more striking if expertly printed large.

There is a limited tonal range and as you say perhaps that's what the author intended, but as a B&W picture it doesn't ring any bells for me.

When I first saw it I was somewhat annoyed. I am a confirmed fan of Don McCullin but I do wince at the degrading shots he took of the down and outs of the East End. They do nothing for the unfortunates but everything for the photographer. I notice from his accompanying blurb the photographer didn't even bother to get the bloke's name, let's hope he'll go back to find him and slip him a few bob of his winnings.

Hinfrance

Well, I nailed two of them.

I think the travel winner was successful for the reason I chose it - it was the only one in the who category that was actually about travel ;)

I thought that the overall winner was just too hackneyed to get anywhere - and he's not foreign. I've clearly lost my mojo on this competition. I wonder how many fewer entries they got this year. Was there an element of Hobson's choice?

PS Alan, glad you're feeling better now.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

For me, the over all winning shot has an initial strong sense through subject choice, although the tonal rendering somehow flattens the image to almost cartoon effect in many areas that erodes any additional impact in connecting with the emotional responses (reminiscent to jail bird, cop mug shots)   :-\  and accordingly it does not excite any applaud from me. 
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

greypoint

I too have a problem with pictures of people who are either on their uppers and/or 'different' in some way where their permission has not been sought and given before exposing them to a wide audience. Those who are deliberately on show, as at Speakers Corner, must surely be aware of the possible consequences. For the same reason I'm uncomfortable with candids which open people to ridicule unless, again, they're happy with it. If the winner can't find the chap again it would be nice to think a donation to a homeless charity would be forthcoming.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: greypoint on December 14, 2011, 04:35:46 PM
I too have a problem with pictures of people who are either on their uppers and/or 'different' in some way where their permission has not been sought and given before exposing them to a wide audience. Those who are deliberately on show, as at Speakers Corner, must surely be aware of the possible consequences. For the same reason I'm uncomfortable with Candida which open people to ridicule unless, again, they're happy with it. If the winner can't find the chap again it would be nice to think a donation to a homeless charity would be forthcoming.

It would be a very silly and irresponsible Publisher, not to have ensured that there was a genuine signed model release before their final selection decision was published!  ;)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

greypoint

Oldboy

Well at least Karen, a regular on PR, won the Travel category of the year and came third in the wildlife category.  :tup:

I can't understand the judges picking the Swallows shot as Wildlife winner?  :uglystupid2:

Cathus

was this photographer of the year or snapshot of the year, I'm confused.

Oldboy

Quote from: Cathus on December 14, 2011, 06:08:58 PM
was this photographer of the year or snapshot of the year, I'm confused.

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

greypoint

When this competition first started it was for photographer of the year as the winner had to gain points in the various categories to win. It is now judged on one photo that may have been taken several years ago so the title is something of a misnomer. The judges could only choose from the shortlist presented to them - it would be interesting to know the criteria for that shortlist. I did feel several of the landscape finalists would have looked more at home in the creative section.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.