• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 64
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 14
  • Total: 14
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Weekend Landscapes

Started by skellum, July 10, 2011, 02:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skellum

Since opening my shop back in November I have not had much time to get out to capture many landscapes so as Sunday & Monday is my new weekend I am going to take every opportunity to get away to places still to do on my list, before I get to old. jimthetrain will be with me on some occasions ( work & cricket permitting ) but for this trip I am on my own again.

So todays challenge is ' Llanddwyn Island '  near Newborough, ( Niwbwrch  in Welsh ) Anglesey, North Wales. I have checked the tides, sunsets , sunrise, weather and campsite so all that remains is for me to get there. should be about a 3 hour trip,  ETA about 6.00pm so if all goes to plan I should be photographing on the Island between 7. 30 to 9.30 pm.

For those who have never heard of Llanddwyn Island it is named after the Welsh patron saint of lovers. The Island boosts a Lighthouse various ruins and a spectacular Celtic cross. The Island is cut of at high tide ( today 6.00 pm ) but by 7.30 pm to 8.00pm I should be able to walk across.

In the morning I aim to get to South Stack Lighthouse on Holy Island near Holyhead.   So that's the plan... pictures to follow hopefully.

jimthetrain

Have a safe trip Dave and I'll see you later in the week.  :beer:
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

irv_b

Looking forward to seeing the shots already Dave!
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

skellum

Well everything went well except the nearest parking area to Llanddwyn was a 30 to 40 min walk away from the Island which meant I had to carry all my gear with me. I only needed one lens, camera & tripod as it turned out but I didn't want  to leave everything else in the car in the middle of nowhere so it all went with me. I had to trek through a forest, along a deserted beach for about half a mile and then up some rocks to get onto the Island. I felt like I had been on a army exercise by the time I got back to the car. My back is killing me know  :'(

The morning trip was a lot easier to South Stack on Holy Island I only had to walk about 20 yards to the cliff edge. On the way back I called in to Menai Bridge to take a shot.

Some pictures below.

Oldboy

I carry all my gear on my back whilst walking miles every day.  ;D

A cracking series of shots Dave, well worth the effort. At lease you had sunshine.  :tup:

Just Dave

Cracking set of shots Dave worth all the hard trek  :tup:
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

skellum

Quote from: Oldboy on July 11, 2011, 10:21:03 PM
I carry all my gear on my back whilst walking miles every day.  ;D

A cracking series of shots Dave, well worth the effort. At lease you had sunshine.  :tup:

It was the beach with deep soft sand that was the killer    :'(   

Markulous

Looking good! Worth the knackered back!  ;)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

skellum

My back is a lot better today thankfully... :)

irv_b

Great shots as expected Dave, particularly like the sunset cross one - well worth a knackered back for a few days ;D
My Gallery

krennon

SUPERB SHOTS Dave particularly like lighthouse 1 and Sunset Cross, I reckon you could flog those to the local tourist board cracking shots.....
I know what you mean about carrying all your gear as well I hate leaving stuff in the car so end up carrying everything with me I worked out I've probably got nearly a grands worth of gear in total (not much I know when 1 lens can cost more than that) but it's more than I paid for the car  :o
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Jonathan

You see, this is my problem with landscape photography.  If I knew I could get pictures like those (esp second one), I'd be happy to walk a significant distance over wet sand.  Really very nice set of pics.

Mate of mine is a landscape photographer.  He showed me one really cool picture he'd taken.  Then he explained that it was 90 mins walk, followed by 5 hours wait then 90 mins home.  He took about 6 frames all day.  I don't have the patience and I'm always in awe of people who do.

In other news....anybody tried carrying gear in a proper rucksack?  I walked round London with 14 kilos of kit all day packed in an Osprey pack.  So much better than any camera bag I've ever carried it's just ridiculous.  Not easy to get gear out but incredibly comfortable.
It's Guest's round

rksmith51

A very nice set of images Dave, well done.
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

irv_b

Quote from: Jonathan on July 15, 2011, 07:55:41 AM
You see, this is my problem with landscape photography.  If I knew I could get pictures like those (esp second one), I'd be happy to walk a significant distance over wet sand.  Really very nice set of pics.

Mate of mine is a landscape photographer.  He showed me one really cool picture he'd taken.  Then he explained that it was 90 mins walk, followed by 5 hours wait then 90 mins home.  He took about 6 frames all day.  I don't have the patience and I'm always in awe of people who do.

In other news....anybody tried carrying gear in a proper rucksack?  I walked round London with 14 kilos of kit all day packed in an Osprey pack.  So much better than any camera bag I've ever carried it's just ridiculous.  Not easy to get gear out but incredibly comfortable.

Aint you going all over  South America somewhere with a rather large over stuffed camera bag on your back Jonathan??
My Gallery

Sarasocke

A wonderful set of photos Dave, you have my full admiration.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.