• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 47
  • Total: 47
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Light Stands

Started by Forseti, February 03, 2010, 04:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forseti

I've been scouring the internet on the matter of light stands and am amazed at the amount on offer, not to mention the huge price differences. Does anyone have any recommendations for a light stand (model etc) that is a good compromise between quality and price. The same goes for an umbrella adaptor, either fitted with or as an extra, a hot-shoe adaptor for mounting an off camera flash unit - Canon 580EX MKII.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

oRGie

Yeah i noticed the same recently, for 120 (amazon) you can get 2 stands with daylight modeling lights and softboxes, up to millions of pounds just for a softbox lol  also at b&q type places you can get the halogen lights for outdoor use on stands for 11 quid, the lights arent good for indoor photography work, but the stands alone seem worth the money.. amazon also has the ball type heads for flash units and umbrella hole with tripod mount and lightstand mounts for about a fiver... 

Forseti

Thanks oRGie - any chance of a link to those Amazon things you're referring to?
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Forseti

:tup:

Stealing your credit card  :legit:

oRGie

Oldboy

Hinfrance

Mornin' all. I'm a bit of an eBay person. You might want to check out these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Light-Stand-1-95m-64-for-studio-photo-lighting-x-2_W0QQitemZ120436020210QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0a8bd3f2

I've bought several bits and bobs from this chap and he has always delivered quickly.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Forseti

Quote from: Tringle WP on February 04, 2010, 06:28:55 AM
I'm a bit of an eBay person.

You don't say - I'd never have guessed.  :2funny: Thanks for the link. I wonder sometimes, when pricing these things do they just pull numbers out of a hat.

Hinfrance

Quote from: Forseti on February 04, 2010, 01:06:34 PM
Quote from: Tringle WP on February 04, 2010, 06:28:55 AM
I'm a bit of an eBay person.

1. You don't say - I'd never have guessed.  :2funny: 2. Thanks for the link. I wonder sometimes, when pricing these things do they just pull numbers out of a hat.

1. I'm not fussy, anywhere cheap will do. :D
2. Probably. ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Verb

http://www.lencarta.com/lighting-stands/sta001-portable-stand/index.php

I can really recomend buying from Lencarta, good quality stuff.

I don't have this one however, I use the more expensive air cushoned stands (they weigh more), however everything I've bought off them is top notch, and the customer service is second to none (it helps that Garry is a pro studio photog).

Jonathan

Like anything else.

Small/light.  Strong.  Cheap.  Pick any two.

If you're only going to hold a speedlight and space is at a premium then Manfrotto Nanos take some beating. These are probably a good copy.  http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/MF6027/ And like most other things if you're rpepared to rip off a design and get children to make them in the Far East then I'll bet there are alternatives on eBay.

These are cheap if you don't value smallness too highly.  http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=105297

If you're using them in a studio then these are pretty nice - http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/MF6060/

As for speedlight tilt holders... these are way better than most - http://www.flickr.com/photos/9641754@N04/4320184832/ - read the description for why.  Mail the Flickr guy - he trades on eBay but can't advertise on Flickr.  I've bought some from him.

It's Guest's round

Forseti

Thanks one and all  - I thinks we can put this subject to bed now. So much to read.... :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.