• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 49
  • Total: 49
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

IOTW

Started by Reinardina, February 22, 2016, 11:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

As the present IOTW 'holder,' I decided to have a look at 'all' the previous IOTWs, by clicking the link under the image.
This gives however, only a small-ish selection of the previous photos that graced the front page.

I remember quite a lot more, both by me and others.

This is one that is missing:

but there are lots more.

Where have they all gone?

And, while on the subject, we are supposed to choose the next image, from the fairly recently uploaded images, so as to be sure the photographer is still active.

The number of members that regularly uploads their work, has dwindled though, so that the choice has become limited. Not so much in the number of pictures, but in the number of photographers to choose from.

I know you should go for the image, but if there are several 'deserving' ones, it is nice to give the different photographers a chance to shine.

Also, different photographers have different styles and subject preferences, so the more participate, the wider the choice, and the more interesting the front page.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Simple

Yes, would be nice to see an influx of new members.
I just invited a bunch of photography friends to "like" the Cameracraniums Facebook site, in the hope that they would perhaps join in the fun.
If everybody with a FB account would do the same we might get some more (new) members.

Reinardina

I have a facebook account only to see the (phone) shots of my great niece, that my sister uploads more or less regularly.
I don't like it at all, but I may have a look at the CC account.

New members would be nice, but I hope old members will also use the site more often, to showcase their work.

I like the random gallery, and there you see the variety of work that is on the site. Some great contributions by photographers, we seem to have lost. I regularly comment on those images, in the hope they still use the same email address, and may be tempted to have another look at CC.

Mick

I guess I have to hold my hands up to this one.  :-[

When Image of the week was put up by me and me alone, that was quite some time ago.  I had a brainwave and decided to add that album "Previous IOTW winners" thinking it would be handy, not only to showcase the previous winners, but also to refer to so the same image doesn't get picked twice for IOW. 

I let this slip unfortunately, when I added the IOTW submit system which Andy, Howard, and Alf now use to add the image to the front page without me getting involved.  I'm not sure but unfortunately they don't have edit permissions for other peoples images as I do as Admin. The current sys doesn't give me facility to do that.

That all said.  If you look at any image in the "Previous IOTW winners" album you''ll notice it has a keyword added to it. This one to be precise, cciotww

Any image with this keyword added will show in the meta / virtual album as well as the real album where it is actually residing.  So basically you could add the images there yourselves simply by adding the keyword, cciotww

Hope that made some sense. 
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Reinardina

It does make sense. I added the keyword to some of my images, that I remembered have been IOTW, and they are indeed in the virtual album now.
Other people could do it too, so the album will be a bit more 'complete.'

Mick

Quote from: Reinardina on February 22, 2016, 11:05:20 PM
It does make sense. I added the keyword to some of my images, that I remembered have been IOTW, and they are indeed in the virtual album now.

Absolutely, they can indeed.  There's a couple of things that need mentioning though.  This could be open to abuse, though anyone adding their pics in there will forfeit the chance of having that same image chosen for IOTW.

And, if anyone deletes their image from the main gallery containing that keyword, it'll also disappear from the Previous IOTW winners album.

My Gallery

OpenSea

Reinardina

Quote from: Mick on February 22, 2016, 11:16:01 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on February 22, 2016, 11:05:20 PM

Absolutely, they can indeed.  There's a couple of things that need mentioning though.  This could be open to abuse, though anyone adding their pics in there will forfeit the chance of having that same image chosen for IOTW.

And, if anyone deletes their image from the main gallery containing that keyword, it'll also disappear from the Previous IOTW winners album.

I doubt people would go that far. To be honest, I think people are not that bothered; I only asked because I happened to notice it.
How many people actually look at the virtual IOTW album? I am regularly on the site, but I don't think I often looked at the album.

Mick

Quote from: Reinardina on February 22, 2016, 11:33:43 PM

I doubt people would go that far. To be honest, I think people are not that bothered; I only asked because I happened to notice it.
How many people actually look at the virtual IOTW album? I am regularly on the site, but I don't think I often looked at the album.

I agree R.  Just pointing out the woes of using the meta albums.  That said Keywords are handy for adding images to more than one album.  For instance if you had a black and white album, and a portrait album.  You could display a b&w portrait in both those albums by adding the keywords associated with those albums.  It does have its uses.

Here's a list of public albums and keywords we have here atm.  I think it's still current.  ;)

Public Album Keyword
Macro / Close-up macro
Black & White black&white
Landscapes landscape
Architecture architecture
Travel travel
People people
Flowers & Fauna fauna
Animals & Wildlife animal

I think if I remember correctly, you can also add a album keyword to your own user albums and share images across those albums using the appropriate keywords.

My Gallery

OpenSea

Reinardina

Thanks.
Most of these keywords, I already use, without realising they put the image in a public album.

Kerry Holt

i didnt even know about keywords so thats good information.

David Blandford

That interesting, I guess it is true you learn something every day! :tup:
still trying to paint with light!!

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: kerry holt on February 23, 2016, 04:59:50 PM
i didnt even know about keywords so thats good information.

:-[ :-[ :-[
Your not on your own folks.
Ive been a mod since day one here and its new to me  :-[
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.