• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 85
  • Total: 85
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Don't discard your discards!

Started by ABERS, June 04, 2011, 04:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

Make sure you keep all those pictures of bored, truculent, ugly teenagers and any others you may have of the missus with her keks missing.

You'll be glad to hear the 2011 Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize is now open for entries! ::)

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: ABERS on June 04, 2011, 04:30:10 PM
Make sure you keep all those pictures of bored, truculent, ugly teenagers and any others you may have of the missus with her keks missing.

You'll be glad to hear the 2011 Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize is now open for entries! ::)

Is it concieved to be a real achievement to win these sort of competitions; as there always seems to be mixed discussion, controversy, on how / why the winning images are selected.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

Thanks for the reminder Alan.

I've had a word with Mrs H and she assures me that she always keeps her decorum. So I guess I won't be winning that one.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Graham

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 04, 2011, 08:21:24 PM
Thanks for the reminder Alan.

I've had a word with Mrs H and she assures me that she always keeps her decorum. So I guess I won't be winning that one.
Depends where she keeps it, and whether we can see it!
                              Graham. :2funny:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Jonathan

Sigh......

Did anybody doing the sniggering actually go and see the Taylor Wessing Exhibition?

Some stunning portraits.  A couple of shockers for PR purposes but as usual general standard and quality was very high.
It's Guest's round

Beaux Reflets

I was not sniggering Jonathan, just questioning the need for 'shokers for PR'  ;)  for while I did not see the exhibition, beyond snippets online, there were as you say some good photographs; and perhaps, personal tastes can somtimes undermine or clarify opinions.   :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

ABERS

Oh dear,  ::) :2funny:

I did go to the NPG to see what all the fuss was about and was not particularly overwhelmed, but there again, everyone has differing views on things.

Graham

Quote from: Jonathan on June 05, 2011, 08:19:44 AM
Some stunning portraits.  A couple of shockers for PR purposes but as usual general standard and quality was very high.
I'm absolutley sure that's the case, and I'm afraid I did'nt get to see it.
  I do wonder, how many went to see it, on the strength of the PR shockers, and how mant decided not to bother.
                Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Jonathan

Quote from: Graham on June 05, 2011, 10:25:47 AM
Quote from: Jonathan on June 05, 2011, 08:19:44 AM
I'm absolutley sure that's the case, and I'm afraid I did'nt get to see it.
  I do wonder, how many went to see it, on the strength of the PR shockers, and how mant decided not to bother.
                Graham.

For me, the highlight was watching 2 ladies "of a certain age" being shocked by "that" picture.  For at least 10 minutes.  Including a couple of very close up looks.  I almost expected the photographer to leap out and in true Tate Modern style say "and THAT's my art".
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on June 05, 2011, 11:10:15 AM

For me, the highlight was watching 2 ladies "of a certain age" being shocked by "that" picture.  For at least 10 minutes.  Including a couple of very close up looks.  I almost expected the photographer to leap out and in true Tate Modern style say "and THAT's my art".

If you had taken a photo of that you could have won this year!  :o

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.