• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 139
  • Total: 139
  • Google
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Canon EF300 F2.8L IS Mk1

Started by anglefire, September 02, 2018, 12:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

A friend of mine is probably going to sell her 300mm f2.8 - and I've an option to buy.

I'm pretty sure I am going to get it - on the grounds that I don't think I'll lose a lot of money on it - its a cracking lens (Mint essentially) - and is one that I have fancied for years (I hired one in a few years ago)

I must be mad!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jediboy

The only mad part is that you went with Canon and not Nikon!! :legit:
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Oldboy

Oldboy

Quote from: anglefire on September 02, 2018, 12:12:20 AM
A friend of mine is probably going to sell her 300mm f2.8 - and I've an option to buy.

I'm pretty sure I am going to get it - on the grounds that I don't think I'll lose a lot of money on it - its a cracking lens (Mint essentially) - and is one that I have fancied for years (I hired one in a few years ago)

I must be mad!

Get it and you will not be disappointed.  :tup:

anglefire

Quote from: Oldboy on September 02, 2018, 09:32:23 PM
Quote from: Jediboy on September 02, 2018, 06:41:14 PM

:tup: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

That's the only bit that wasn't mad when I went Digital! Who knew that when I bought a 350D in about 2005 that I would spend so much on a hobby!
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

Quote from: Oldboy on September 02, 2018, 09:34:21 PM
Quote from: anglefire on September 02, 2018, 12:12:20 AM

I must be mad!

Get it and you will not be disappointed.  :tup:

I looked at some pictures I took with a hired one from several years ago, and you are not wrong!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jediboy

Quote from: anglefire on September 03, 2018, 07:40:08 AM
Quote from: Oldboy on September 02, 2018, 09:32:23 PM
Quote from: Jediboy on September 02, 2018, 06:41:14 PM

:tup: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

That's the only bit that wasn't mad when I went Digital! Who knew that when I bought a 350D in about 2005 that I would spend so much on a hobby!

Its certainly not a cheap hobby is it??? :o
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Simple

No it is not a cheap hobby. But I think that is with every hobby the same. When you get good at it you want better equipment and that is expensive. Take Golf, some membership fees and clubs will easily add up to a 300mm f2.8 /a year!  :D

anglefire

You are not wrong - at least with photography, membership fees are generally small (If you want to join a club!) so any cost is usually kit, which will be able to be sold to recoup some money - unlike golf which the fees seem to be a significant cost - and you can take pictures anywhere, golf is not popular in the high street :)
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

Quote from: anglefire on September 04, 2018, 12:37:18 PM
Golf is not popular in the high street :)

I take it you don't go clubbing then?  :2funny:

anglefire

I've not been clubbing  :knuppel2: since I was about 19! Many, many years ago  :dance:
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

Bit of a holy batman resurrection to this one!

Hadn't realised I'd not updated the thread to say I'd bought it - though I guess I might have said elsewhere?

Anyway I did and it is fantastic - it is especially good with a 2x converter on it to make it a 600mm f5.6 - the autofocus is pretty much unaffected.

If this works - no guarantee, then this is a recent capture in the garden. (Picture is not hosted here to keep the server space down a bit ;) )

This is with the x2 on and through the patio window. The Acer is now in full leaf  ;D

And this one.

Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

I'm now considering selling it. Along with my 100-400. And getting a 200-400f4.

But I think I might be talking myself out of it due to its weight - but I'll know for sure over Christmas - as I'm hiring (for free!) a 400mm f2.8 - the 200-400 isn't available unfortunately, but the 400 is slightly heavier.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.